Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  (Read 4761 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl Official Site

Well, I have been following the development of this game for a couple years now. The basic premise is that you are one of a number of scavengers called "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s" who roam the blasted land surrounding the Chernobyl fallout site.

I saw that it's only $30 so I picked it up yesterday when I went to replace my worn out mouse pad. It's a FPS with RPG storyline, no experience or leveling but lots of weapons to choose from and a number of minor and major artifacts that give you special abilities.

The thing that really makes this game different is that it was made by Russians. So, while most of it has been translated into English (and other languages), a lot of the background chatter coming from NPCs is still in Russian.

You are basically free to roam around the land doing quests and "jobs" (miniquests) in whatever order you want. Only a couple of the quests have time limits, usually allowing 24 hours. As time/days passes the weather changes, the sun rises and sets and the animals and NPCs all go about their daily routines.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a good story driven FPS (think Deus Ex) then this game is for you. Be warned however that it is tough as hell on the normal difficulty setting.

Also, this game has a very Fallout feel to it and it's a good example of what Fallout 3 may be like.

Oh, and Cuchulann, next time you're down my way stop by and translate some of this stuff for me. I have a feeling this one NPC was trying to tell Throbble something important last night.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:28:39 PM »
My skills are getting pretty rusty. Remind me to bring along my english-russian dictionary just in case.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:10:04 AM »
You know Russian?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:19:04 PM »
You know Russian?
[snapback]36800[/snapback]
Only when he's really drunk.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »
Probably the language I like the most.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:05:23 PM »
The game is a bit frustrating since there is a lot of random interaction among NPCs, so if you get caught in a firefight you might be there awhile. It isn't exactly scary but it is a bit unnerving.

-Throbblefoot

Edit: 420 just jumped out of his skin while playing in broad daylight, so "unnerving" probably isn't a strong enough word.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:10:39 PM by Throbblefoot »
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 11:36:50 PM »
Edit: 420 just jumped out of his skin while playing in broad daylight, so "unnerving" probably isn't a strong enough word.
[snapback]36806[/snapback]
Hey, that wooden crate was coming right at me!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:52:44 PM »
lol sounds awesome.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 10:13:53 PM »
Only when he's really drunk.

[snapback]36802[/snapback]

You have to get a few shots of vodka in you in order to pronounce correctly. That's the Russian way.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 10:33:19 AM »
Hey, that wooden crate was coming right at me!

[snapback]36808[/snapback]
It was more then 1 wooden crate. And those strange canisters hurt. I just sat and copped 2 crates and a canister to the face while I was still trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

Part i'm up to is a bit of a pain in the ass, as the AI is retarded. Well, not always. But i'm aparently ment to follow them but there just standing there, dont know how many time's I drilled them all and ran around venting my frustration.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 02:59:50 PM »
There are a couple places where the AI seems to fail a bit but I didn't run into anything game-halting. Make sure you have the newest patch (1.03 I think).

When I beat the game Throbble came home from work and asked "Did you win?" and I said, "I have no fucking idea!" Crazy Russians, I can't tell which ending is suppose to be the "good" one.