Author Topic: Facts, Opinions, and S.P.A.M.  (Read 25869 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Facts, Opinions, and S.P.A.M.
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:48:41 AM »
You do all that while posting on LM?
[snapback]35608[/snapback]
And posting on WotC, Bioware, CEP, Planewalker and Rogue Dao forums AND while playing Diablo 2 and Gunz. Yeah, I think that's all I was up to yesterday.

However, skimming through all the posts, this little tidbit caught my eye:
We're all humans, we were equals at the start.
[snapback]35590[/snapback]
I hate to offend all the equal rights groups and overzealous liberals but despite what the Declaration of Independence may claim, no one is "created equal". If we were, natural selection, and indeed evolution, would not exist. There is always someone better than you, and that person's name is Stephen Hawking.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »
I took 46 screenshots yesterday of CEP creatures, cropped and resized them, labeled them then linked each image up to its original hak pack location on NWVault.

We lost our master list of content so I have to search for all the original artists, the location of the creature in the appearance.2da, the location of the blueprint and the name of the original model.

And that was just one letter of the alphabet.

So, you tell me if I'm too busy.

[snapback]35607[/snapback]

Is there enough tilesets, houses, creatures, etc in the community that would be considered free for use in development of an isometric rpg in a similar vein to ultima online?

Additionally, who would be interested in helping write a storyline and gaming system for a new community MMORPG (entitled Godspire)?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:48:52 PM by Talon »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:11:36 PM »
Sounds fun. I like stories. I do, I really do. :lol: Hmmm...keep us posted! :D

-Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:21:15 PM »
If we were, natural selection, and indeed evolution, would not exist. There is always someone better than you, and that person's name is Stephen Hawking.

[snapback]35609[/snapback]

Seriously no offense intended to Hawking or any one else suffering from terrible diseases, but if natural selection would chose him then our average life span would be drastically reduced.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:21:35 PM »
Is there enough tilesets, houses, creatures, etc in the community that would be considered free for use in development of an isometric rpg in a similar vein to ultima online?

Additionally, who would be interested in helping write a storyline and gaming system for a new community MMORPG (entitled Godspire)?
[snapback]35612[/snapback]
Actually, if you're interested in creating an isometric RPG you may want to take a look at FIFE: Flexible Isometric Fallout-like Engine.

The CEP will be adding placeable houses and trees in v2.1 but the tilsets are left to the Community Tileset Project (CTP). Though, since they share no resources, I believe the CEP and CTP are compatible with minimal effort.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:22:07 PM by 420 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
Seriously no offense intended to Hawking or any one else suffering from terrible diseases, but if natural selection would chose him then our average life span would be drastically reduced.
[snapback]35614[/snapback]
So far he has outlived my dad who was about 4 years younger than him.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »
So far he has outlived my dad who was about 4 years younger than him.

[snapback]35616[/snapback]

Well ya I think the doctors gave him 2 years to live 20 years ago.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:51:20 PM »
Actually, if you're interested in creating an isometric RPG you may want to take a look at FIFE: Flexible Isometric Fallout-like Engine.

The CEP will be adding placeable houses and trees in v2.1 but the tilsets are left to the Community Tileset Project (CTP). Though, since they share no resources, I believe the CEP and CTP are compatible with minimal effort.

[snapback]35615[/snapback]

Ive had a look at that, and it seems pretty nice - although my frontend will probably be written in flash to make it multiplatform, and accessible via a web browser.
I just need some nice tilesets to get started. Landscape tiling will be first priority, shortly followed by multiuser interaction.
So I guess im looking for a nice tileset I can use without commercial restriction.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:55:51 PM by Talon »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »
So I guess im looking for a nice tileset I can use without commercial restriction.
[snapback]35623[/snapback]
Community Tileset Project
CODI Sigil Tilesets

That should cover all the community made tilesets for NWN.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 07:19:53 PM »
Not everyone has equal abilities, but everyone is unique, and it's completely opinion who is better than who. So that makes everyone equal, just not equal in everyone's opinion, but in the opinion of those who see them as such.

Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll tell you that's an opinion too. Because it's true. :lol:

But I suppose I do see some people as better than others, going on their meaning and importance to me and little else. But I see equality with equal rights as human beings, even if outnumbered or overpowered. Everyone has the ability to make their own choices even if they rely or depend on the choices of others. (Except the never-included hospitalized people who are supposed to be dead without medical aid.)

About your being busy, it's all stuff you choose to busy yourself with in your free-time, which I don't doubt you have plenty of. Now if you had said you were working full-time to take care of a family, then I'd see your point.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:21:26 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Not everyone has equal abilities, but everyone is unique, and it's completely opinion who is better than who. So that makes everyone equal, just not equal in everyone's opinion, but in the opinion of those who see them as such.

Tell me I'm wrong, and I'll tell you that's an opinion too. Because it's true.
[snapback]35636[/snapback]
So evolution is just an opinion? Or are you saying that humans are all exactly equally evolved?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 08:33:50 PM »
Not everyone has equal abilities, but everyone is unique, and it's completely opinion who is better than who.
Read this line again for comprehension purposes.

Evolution is a theory. Theories are thoughts and opinions that cannot be disproved and cannot be proven. Theories become facts when valid proof is discovered. Theories are dismissed when there is proof that they are false.

But that's besides the point. Who is better than who is strictly an opinion and was a main point in my argument. Do you disagree?

I've already stated that people aren't equal in ability, seems we agree there.

The main point, however, was that we're all equal in our ability to make our own choices, no matter what influences may happen, or things that occur beyond our control. Decisions are our own, and I showed an exception. But you did not quote that part of the post.

I should add that my opinion is what counts. Because I am never wrong and always right, and so it is not debatable. :lol:

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 08:46:28 PM »
Just because you label something as an "opinion" doesn't automatically make it one.

That statement, for instance, is not an opinion.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »
Thoughts on the world or guesses are the opinion of the person who makes them, to state them and believe they are correct makes it a theory.

If that statement is your own, then it is an opinion. If it is the statement of another and you state it believing it to be right, then it is your opinion that it is right.

Unless it's a fact, I don't see how it's not an opinion unless it's a guess. While a guess is uncertainty, guesses are based on what the person guessing thinks is right, and right and wrong are opinions. However, there are random guesses, but if theories were random guesses, they wouldn't be "thought to be right/correct" and therefore would not be theories.

Also, your last statement is also an opinion. If I were to claim you were wrong, that would be my opinion, were you to claim you are right, that is yours. The reason the last statement would be an opinion as well, is because I see no evidence to disprove the theory that it is an opinion, so it is therefore not a fact. As they are your words (or even possibly the words of another) it is your opinion (or possibly the opinion of another, which, in your opinion, is right), as there is nothing making it a fact. Unless of course you do not feel the statement is right, in which case, I don't see why you stated it.

You could consider something a supposition, but the conclusion would lead to it being an opinion. As many people could look at the same hard facts and derive their own supposition/assumption from it, which is technically their opinion.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 09:38:07 PM »
oÃ?·pinÃ?·ion      
â??noun
1.   a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2.   a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3.   the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4.   Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5.   a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6.   a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Main Entry:     opinion
Part of Speech:     noun
Definition:     belief

Synonyms:     assessment, assumption, attitude, conception, conclusion, conjecture, estimate, estimation, eye*, fancy, feeling, guess, hypothesis, idea, imagining, impression, inclination, inference, judgment, mind, notion, persuasion, postulate, presumption, presupposition, reaction, say so, sentiment, slant, speculation, supposition, surmise, suspicion, take*, theorem, theory, thesis, think*, thought, view, viewpoint

Source:     Roget's New Millenniumâ?¢ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)
Copyright �© 2007 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
* = informal or slang

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »
Precisely.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 09:51:58 PM »
Balls.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »
Balls.
[snapback]35646[/snapback]
Damn skippy!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 11:07:37 PM »
That's interesting, HeLL claims to posses the ability to turn facts into opinions simply by calling them opinions.

"Who could overturn with reasons what the mob has once learned to believe without reasons?" -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 01:09:50 AM »
What facts? I have seen very few facts anywhere in this topic.

And facts are often false.
Yeah, the world is flat. Uh-huh.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 07:50:38 AM »

[snapback]35651[/snapback]

The world being flat was never a fact as it was never proven to be true.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »
The world being flat was never a fact as it was never proven to be true.
[snapback]35652[/snapback]

Thats true, but then it was a fact for them and for that matter they wanted to kill that guy that said the world wasnt flat, that it was round instead (Galileo was it?), so when they couldnt throw him from the limits of the world, and realized that galileo was right, that fact was proven false (kinda like hell said).

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Thats true, but then it was a fact for them and for that matter they wanted to kill that guy that said the world wasnt flat, that it was round instead (Galileo was it?), so when they couldnt throw him from the limits of the world, and realized that galileo was right, that fact was proven false (kinda like hell said).
[snapback]35653[/snapback]

No it was never a fact.  The Egyptians proved the world was round 2500 years ago.  Don't confused fact with religious beliefs of the Catholic Church or whom ever.  Is it a "fact" that Jesus was resurrected?

The world got a lot dumber after the Library of Alexandria was burned down.  Some people figure we'd be centuries ahead of where we are today if all that knowledge wasn't lost and the world skipped the dark ages.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »
Sorry mo but galileo isnt a belief, its common history, he was the guy who invented the telescope actually, he got sentenced for defying the catholic church and aristoteles work (where supposedly the earth was the center of the universe and everything goes around it) and the earth its flat part. So in that times aristoteles proved in any way that the earth was flat and then later on Galileo proved that wrong and he was considered a traitor.
Galileo Galilei
So jesus resurrection has nothing to do with this guy xD.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:02:51 AM by tyrael084 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Sorry mo but galileo isnt a belief, its common history, he was the guy who invented the telescope actually, he got sentenced for defying the catholic church and aristoteles work (where supposedly the earth was the center of the universe and everything goes around it) and the earth its flat part. So in that times aristoteles proved in any way that the earth was flat and then later on Galileo proved that wrong and he was considered a traitor.
Galileo Galilei
So jesus resurrection has nothing to do with this guy xD.
[snapback]35657[/snapback]

ooook there Mr. Revisionist History lol

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC) was Plato's prize student and "the mind of the school." Aristotle observed "there are stars seen in Egypt and [...] Cyprus which are not seen in the northerly regions." Since this could only happen on a curved surface, he too believed Earth was a sphere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_earth

People knew the Earth was round long before Galileo.  Galileo happened to live in a period of time where the Church controlled the knowledge of the Western world (Dark Ages).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:53:59 AM by Mo »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 11:15:35 AM »
That's interesting, HeLL claims to posses the ability to turn facts into opinions simply by calling them opinions.

"Who could overturn with reasons what the mob has once learned to believe without reasons?" -Friedrich Nietzsche

[snapback]35648[/snapback]
That's precisely why I stop listening to HeLL, usually. He twists everything around from fact into opinion so he can "win." If it were upto him, the sky is blue the grass is green and bee-stings hurt are opinions!

We know evolution happens. The only reason its still a theory is because of the missing link in the human ancestry and the fundamentalist christians who believe that God created the world in a total of 6 days and then rested on the seventh. (Apparently 60% of the population believe this to be exactly what happened, and that is certainly not an opinion.)

EDIT: oops, missed the whole third page.
Don't necessarily call history fact - it's a very fickle thing, afterall, the winners [usually] write the history books! Plus, history is often revising itself in the light of new evidence or new desires.
At least half of american history is misinterpreted for the public. Especially Revolutionary history - George washington didn't have wooden teeth, he had a set of dentures(sort of) that was made of teeth pulled off of his slaves!
The Trail of Tears(a label it picked up during the Great Depression, I believe) wasn't a trail of tears! It may have been painful, but it saved the native american culture at the time. If Jackson hadn't moved them, the Georgians would have killed them all.

Honestly, it's possible that Galileo didnt' really even invent the telescope. The Chinese had invented a lot of things that weren't invented in the western world for hundreds(even thousands) of years! Take that into consideration.

-Elessar
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:24:09 AM by Lord Elessar »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »

[snapback]35651[/snapback]
HeLL, I don't believe you have ever seen a fact in your life. They just don't exist in your world.

Is it a "fact" that Jesus was resurrected?
[snapback]35655[/snapback]
No, it is not a fact. Jesus was reanimated with all of his wounds including the gaping hole in his side (which I believe an apostle stuck his hand into to prove Jesus was not incorporeal). This would mean that Jesus was not resurrected but was in fact the walking dead. All praise zombie Jesus!

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 01:11:38 PM »
That's kinda creepy.  :huh:

-Elessar

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 02:56:32 PM »
People knew the Earth was round long before Galileo.  Galileo happened to live in a period of time where the Church controlled the knowledge of the Western world (Dark Ages).
[snapback]35658[/snapback]

Yeah that was my bad what galileo proved wrong was just the geocentrism.
the earth was the center of the universe and everything goes around it.

The guy they tried to throw off the planet must have been some1 else then where they kept sailing to the same direction to find the end of the world but they returned to the same point since the earth is round

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Yeah that was my bad what galileo proved wrong was just the geocentrism.
The guy they tried to throw off the planet must have been some1 else then where they kept sailing to the same direction to find the end of the world but they returned to the same point since the earth is round
[snapback]35675[/snapback]

My god, Is this the same tyrael using words like 'geocentrism'?