Author Topic: I have a doubt  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« on: June 07, 2007, 08:46:41 AM »
Yesterday while doing practics as a tourist guide in a touristic place (obviously :P), there was a note outside that had written on it:

Due to a group visit on X day, there wouldnt [wont?] be any visits between X time and X time.
Sorry about inconvenience [sorry for any inconveniences?].

The words in the brackets its how i think it is, but then i could be wrong so thats why i ask.  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:48:58 AM by tyrael084 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:17:53 AM »
Your corrections look good to me.

[won't]

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:48:21 PM »
Hmm, the statement still needs a bit of tweaking. There won't be any visits because there is a visit?

Should say, "Due to a group visit... there won't be any practice..."

Or maybe something like, "Due to a private visitation the rest of you lowlifes will have to bugger off!"

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:15:06 PM »
Its kinda like a natural museum, the place where the giant lizards are taken care of and one of the villages where the first settlers of the island used to live completely rebuilt.

So its a visit i think, but my point is like you said, if the note says there wouldnt be any visits during that time because there is a group inside, doesnt "wouldnt" indicate a condition? so if theres a group inside theres no way youre going to enter, so it should be "wont" instead right?.

Besides "Sorry about incovenience" sounds kinda wrong to me, wouldnt it sound better with "sorry for any inconveniences"?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 07:22:09 PM »
As Mo said, "won't" is correct.

"sorry for any (singular) inconvenience" or "sorry for all (plural) inconveniences"

Only that first expression is used however.

I'll let Throbble explain the difference since she is the language master.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
"Penis." :lol:

Yeah, Tyr.

"Will not" instead of "would not." "Would not" is past-tense, while "will not" is future-tense. So "will not" (won't) is correct, while "would not" (wouldn't) is incorrect.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:05:47 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 07:43:39 PM »
"Penis." :lol:

Yeah, Tyr.

Will not instead of would not. Would not is past-tense, will not is future-tense. So "will not" (won't) is correct, while "would not" (wouldn't) is incorrect.
[snapback]35697[/snapback]

Err hell...
would (FUTURE)   
modal verb
1 (ALSO 'd) used to refer to future time from the point of view of the past:
He said he would see his brother tomorrow.
They knew there would be trouble unless the report was finished by the next day.
We realised it wouldn't be easy to find another secretary.

2 would have used to refer back to a time in the past from a point of view in the future:
We thought they would have got home by five o'clock, but there was no reply when we phoned.

Or is just that "would not" is past but "would" is future? that or you just messed up xD
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 07:51:23 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 08:05:05 PM »
Lol read my post again Tyrael, you confused yourself somewhere.

WILL not is future-tense. WOULD not is past-tense.

That ^ is what I said. To clarify:

Wouldn't = Would not.

Won't = Will not.

I'll add quotes to the sayings in my post, so when you read it again, you can better understand. You can look at where you quote me in your post, and then look at my post again, and see what changes I made as well. After I added the quotes:

"Will not" instead of "would not." "Would not" is past-tense, while "will not" is future-tense. So "will not" (won't) is correct, while "would not" (wouldn't) is incorrect.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:06:25 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:14:26 PM »
Lol read my post again Tyrael, you confused yourself somewhere.

WILL not is future-tense. WOULD not is past-tense.

That ^ is what I said. To clarify:

Wouldn't = Would not.

Won't = Will not.

I'll add quotes to the sayings in my post, so when you read it again, you can better understand. You can look at where you quote me in your post, and then look at my post again, and see what changes I made as well. After I added the quotes:

[snapback]35708[/snapback]

Yeah i got confused but not from your post, actually my first reply was
Oh yeah! i knew there was something cheesy about "wouldnt", but i didnt notice that part, thanks hell. :lol:

Then i did a search for "would" and thats what confused me.
All clear now, but still how comes "would" its future and "wouldnt" its past. (thats the part that confused me)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »
Well, I was talking about in that instance only.

Tyrael, even English people have very poor English. It's not completely their fault, as the people around them that have poor English are the people they learn theirs from to begin with. Then there are accents and what have you.

Would is basically the past-tense of will. Except in some cases, usually in the use of the "IF" word. I don't know where you did your search, but this should be more useful to you:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/would

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »
Well, I was talking about in that instance only.

Tyrael, even English people have very poor English. It's not completely their fault, as the people around them that have poor English are the people they learn theirs from to begin with. Then there are accents and what have you.

Would is basically the past-tense of will. Except in some cases, usually in the use of the "IF" word. I don't know where you did your search, but this should be more useful to you:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/would
[snapback]35716[/snapback]

Yeah thanks, that one completely cleared it, im gonna bookmark that site for future doubts, or i could always post it here and have you look for it! :tease:, just joking xD.

Edit: Oh wait i just realized that i was wrong on the first reply to you, when i said you could have messed up, because i just read "would (future)" and since i was kinda lazy i didnt go on reading :fool: and seems you didnt read it either, lol.

Would (FUTURE)
modal verb
1. Used to refer to future time from the point of view of the past
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:41:01 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
I have a doubt
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 10:00:35 PM »
Couple things:

1. "Sorry for the inconvenience" is also used. "The" is used when you know it's inconvenient; "any" is used when there is a doubt:
 - Whoops, I hit you in the face with a glass bottle. Sorry for *the* inconvenience.
 - I won't be able to tear you a new corn shoot today. Sorry for *any* inconvenience.

2. Even people who speak and write well in their native tongue may have no idea about the mechanics of its grammar. For instance, you may know that you shouldn't write "to gracefully dance" - you'd write "to dance gracefully." But that doesn't mean you can tell me what the infinitive is or give me an example. Length of string to the first person to do both.

-Throbblefoot
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:00:53 PM by Throbblefoot »
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »
Would (FUTURE)
modal verb
1. Used to refer to future time from the point of view of the past
[snapback]35729[/snapback]
Would is basically the past-tense of will. Except in some cases, usually in the use of the "IF" word.
And you, my friend, need to start reading my posts! :lol:

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 02:26:18 AM »

I did read that, i posted that just to make clear that i noticed its still past tense on my dictionary quote (because i though it was wrong after you gave me the other link).

I only dont read some of your long ass posts xD short ones are fine. :lol:

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 02:42:10 AM »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 04:29:06 PM »
Today i told to the tourist guide that i though he wrote that wrong because "would" is the past tense of "will" and she "wouldnt" admit it >_<, she said: "would" its a conditional so i can use it on any tense i want", so i said that  it can only mean future when used with "if" and that "would" is used to refer to future time from the point of view of the past.
She kept saying she was right because she studied so many years while starting to get angry, then she asked a foreign (german) tourist guide that works there aswell
(thinking the foreign tourist guide would say i was wrong), but to her surprise she said i was right  :lol:, but she still wouldnt admit it and got even more angry and started saying: JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!! I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS!! and those kind of comments. I told her so many times to just look at this forum or at least to the online english dictionary (she was sitting in front of a pc which of course has internet), but she wouldnt look because she said all online dictionaries are wrong and that you are all liars, omg. >_<

Then i just let it go (didnt even mention the "sorry about inconvenience" part), i dont want problems with her just because she wouldnt admit a simple word missplacement....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 06:30:09 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 05:20:07 PM »
I told her some many times to just look at this forum or at least to the online english dictionary (she was sitting in front of a pc which of course has internet), but she wouldnt look because she said all online dictionaries are wrong and that you are all liars
[snapback]35800[/snapback]
To paraphrase Homer: "Don't you love it when people who can't speak English insist that they can?"

Original quote: "Don't you love it when nerds don't know that they are nerds?"

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »
Her reaction shows she knows and accepts your answer as truth, but appears as though she is in denial about being wrong.

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
I have a doubt
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 01:47:30 AM »
Her reaction shows she knows and accepts your answer as truth, but appears as though she is in denial about being wrong.
[snapback]35807[/snapback]
The stars say you will be hit with a doberman today.

Your lucky colour is glue. (green/blue)
Your lucky number is 931777161683874516615455500001931000110030040.991 / 1003 x 77800

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a doubt
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
The stars say you will be hit with a doberman today.

Your lucky colour is glue. (green/blue)
Your lucky number is 931777161683874516615455500001931000110030040.991 / 1003 x 77800
[snapback]35940[/snapback]
My lucky color is Fluck! My lucky number is I. :lol: