Author Topic: What happened to NWN2  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
What happened to NWN2
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:38:44 PM »
I was horrifed to read about 50 reasons why NWN1 is better than NWN2.

Here is my explanation for this dismal piece of software:

1) Bioware create and Atari distribute NWN - who we can all agree kicked some ass, and lost me a lot of man hours.
2) Fan-base becomes huge. Potentially a LOT bigger than what they had in mind.
3) Large fan-base = large number of people to mention issues and irregularities in the game = large amount of bugs to fix
4) Bioware are forced into producing expanions in order to fund bug-fixing and keep face with Atari.
5) Biowares profit margins are reduced, and are potentially pissed off with the amount of support they have had to do for their software (there were a LOT of patches for a non-subscription game)
6) They refuse to do another one, and are forced into a solution, for financial purposes in one way or the other
7) Obsidian knows the problems, but they are the only ones who are willing / stupid enough to take on this behemoth project.
8) Obsidian do it with a realistic budget. Meaning either new 'features', or spending money on the stuff we REALLY enjoy - like armour types! Oh - and making sure they put in at least what was in the original.

I think that sums it up.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
What happened to NWN2
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »
Somewhere in there it should say: "Bioware gets fed up with trying to release patches and content for a Forgotten Realms product because it takes forever to get WotC's approval for the slightest changes."

If Bioware had started on NWN2 when they began making Dragon's Age we'd all be enjoying a hell of a nice game right now. A truly great PC game company was finally in a position to make official D&D computer games and WotC screwed the pooch.

As for the 50 reasons, I don't think the list has to be longer than 10. After reading reasons 8, 9 and 10 I couldn't go on because it depressed me to much.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
What happened to NWN2
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:54:57 PM »

*sobs*
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
What happened to NWN2
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »
Well there's really only one reason why NWN2 sucks:

Obsidian blows chunks.

They didn't plan properly and they didn't execute properly.
They are a 3rd rate game developer and NWN2 is a 3rd rate game.
It's inexcusable for bugs that existed in the original release of NWN to exist in NWN2.  Inexcusable!

Anet, Blizzard, Bethesda, those are first rate game developers. Obsidian might want to focus on making a mobile phone version of Pong.

We'll see if Bioware can impress with Dragon Age.

The rest is NWN1 digitally unmastered. I actually hear air changes on some of the different voices and expect to hear a cough and a car alarm in the background. Who's obsidians sound guy?

3rd rate...It's an embarrassment to NWN fans.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:21:10 PM by Mo »

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
What happened to NWN2
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:21:27 AM »
Its a sad state of affairs. Hopefully they will make something of the mess with patches.

I am actualy enjoying the game myself. Single player that is. Regardless of those feelings that something isnt right, I power on. I have stopped playing for now because even though it has been a year or two as soon as I start playing im in PVP mode. So I end up creating and recreating characters and testing builds. Ive started over too many times now. I wish I could attack friendlys..

We our selves could remedy alot of the problems with NWN2, not that we should have too.. I miss Godspire, I wish I could go back in time too the SoU days, NWN Vanilla was good but I enjoyed SoU the most. Perhaps we will get a "SoU" for NWN2

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
What happened to NWN2
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:15:51 AM »
SoU was the shiznit days... :( God I remember playing on GodSpire for hours on end. I would not go to classes just to play lol. *sigh* Damnit obsidian! *curses obsidian* Fuckers!
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
What happened to NWN2
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:05:38 AM »
yeah i remember playing on gs all day long and almost all time during weekends without sleeping  :(  remember the top 50 of the played time in gs i was like 200 hours away in first place :P till everyone started to leave their chars afk just to get a bit close to me!!

i liked kotor games but then obsidian really fucked up nwn2 multiplayer, i liked single player campaign but it pissed me so bad that i uninstalled the whole game after a few days, and im still waiting for these obsidian nooblets to fix everything maybe if theyre lucky can reach at least nwn1 shoes!! wonder how obsidian could do it sooooooo bad to not be able to make a decent sequel of a like 5-6 years ago game, so i agree with mo

OBSIDIAN SUCKS

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
What happened to NWN2
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »
Remember the Godspire Marathon? That shit was fucking funny. It was supposed to be 42 hrs long or some shit... but I stayed up 60+ and then when I finally went to sleep, I think I recall waking up not long later and going to school. (which was the only reason I went to sleep)

Then that day, I was being my usual sleep dep self, and acting fucked up. The dean of students called me to his office and said something like, "Okay, so what are you on? I know you're taking something. You have blood shot eyes, they are glazed over, you're walking like you're drunk, and you look like you're on something in general." I remember how funny that was to me, most people never believed me when I told them I was NOT on ANY drugs, that's just the type of person I was, and I was sleep dep alot. So, I took a breathalizer test, or whatever the fuck it is, and a piss test, for the fucking bastards, came out clean, and the end result was him actually telling me that for me to act like that, the only way I cannot be on drugs, is if I'm insane. Then he recommended me to a mental hospital in a larger city not far from here, and sent me home for the day.

I'll tell ya, those were some fun times.