Author Topic: important and useful announcement  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Cannixxxx

• View Profile
    • http://
important and useful announcement
« on: February 19, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »
Do not ever, ever, EVER use wireless internet. EVER. It sucks cables are far easier and more reliable. Stick to cables. Thanks.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
Seconded.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:57:30 PM »
Do not ever, ever, EVER use wireless internet. EVER. It sucks cables are far easier and more reliable. Stick to cables. Thanks.
[snapback]33791[/snapback]
Only if you can't afford deluxe DSL: 3 MB/s download, 512K/s upload.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:01:12 PM »
////or if it's not provided in your area.

Like me. Where 256K is $42 a month, as one company is a monopoly in the area, and the only other option is expensive satellite internet.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:29:27 AM »
And satellite isnt reliable.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »
Indeed.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:35:59 PM »
For some reason I think he's talking about 802.11 WiFi.

Offline Cannixxxx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »
For some reason I think he's talking about 802.11 WiFi.
[snapback]33814[/snapback]
Correct, ive had the blasted thing for 2 years now. 4mbit my ass, caps at 2 on every test server and every couple of weeks it thinks its a "funny" idea to disconnect me in regular intervals. Now i got an upgrade HUB to it to replace my old base station i have to   go into services.msc everytime i boot to put windows wireless zero configeration on start. Anybody know how to keep it on? Anybody know why this half assed piece of junk sucks so bad?

i have a network set up with 3 PCs, and a hub connected to phone line socket. network cards and receives in each pc. its not a problem with the network adapters cuz it disconnects everyone at same time. Its not the line because if you put an ethernet cable in it works. seems to be the transmittor, though im not an expert on wireless if anybody is please help.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 02:27:00 PM by Cannixxxx »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 04:49:31 AM »
Correct, ive had the blasted thing for 2 years now. 4mbit my ass, caps at 2 on every test server and every couple of weeks it thinks its a "funny" idea to disconnect me in regular intervals. Now i got an upgrade HUB to it to replace my old base station i have to   go into services.msc everytime i boot to put windows wireless zero configeration on start. Anybody know how to keep it on? Anybody know why this half assed piece of junk sucks so bad?
i have a network set up with 3 PCs, and a hub connected to phone line socket. network cards and receives in each pc. its not a problem with the network adapters cuz it disconnects everyone at same time. Its not the line because if you put an ethernet cable in it works. seems to be the transmittor, though im not an expert on wireless if anybody is please help.
[snapback]33816[/snapback]

Yes. Wifi can be tricky.  I dont' think I understand your network configuration 100%.  You have a wireless access point or router (which is it) connected to a phone line socket.  So I'm assuming it's a wireless router + DSL modem combo.  What brand? Dlink, Linksys, Netgear? Is it 802.11a b or g?  Your network adapters are all wireless?  I've had major issues with Dlink wireless radio transmitters.  I RMA'ed one router but the new one they sent me had problems also, it would intermittently reboot itself (which would explain you being disconnected sometimes).  Have you always been having this problem or is it recent.  Could be recent interference added somewhere. Try changing the channel.  Are you using WEP encryption?

I'm now using a Zyxel router as my Wifi access point, works perfectly so far.

Offline Cannixxxx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 12:13:38 PM »
Yes. Wifi can be tricky.  I dont' think I understand your network configuration 100%.  You have a wireless access point or router (which is it) connected to a phone line socket.  So I'm assuming it's a wireless router + DSL modem combo.  What brand? Dlink, Linksys, Netgear? Is it 802.11a b or g?  Your network adapters are all wireless?  I've had major issues with Dlink wireless radio transmitters.  I RMA'ed one router but the new one they sent me had problems also, it would intermittently reboot itself (which would explain you being disconnected sometimes).  Have you always been having this problem or is it recent.  Could be recent interference added somewhere. Try changing the channel.  Are you using WEP encryption?

I'm now using a Zyxel router as my Wifi access point, works perfectly so far.
[snapback]33830[/snapback]

I have a router + dsl. its BT (british telecom). Network adapters all wireless, always a problem but since upgrading HUB it hardly works. When i managed to connect i only get 1/10th the speed i should. ive tryed changing channel, and ive tryed with and without WEP. Its 802.11g btw.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »
I have a router + dsl. its BT (british telecom). Network adapters all wireless, always a problem but since upgrading HUB it hardly works. When i managed to connect i only get 1/10th the speed i should. ive tryed changing channel, and ive tryed with and without WEP. Its 802.11g btw.
[snapback]33832[/snapback]

So your router is connected to a hub which is wireless? Who makes the hub? How far away are your computers?

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 02:43:23 PM »
hmm...here in belgium wireless is quite reliable the only thing people have to watch out for is that they secure it you would be AMAZED how much ppl you find with a wireless connection that is not secured at all.

Here in belgium you can monthly download 10gig and upload 2gig if you exceed the limit you are auto swiched to smallband i know :blink:
Anyway alot of ppl then look for unsecured wireless nets with their laptop and download from other persons lol.
But it's quite stable here the wireless internet.
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Cannixxxx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »
So your router is connected to a hub which is wireless? Who makes the hub? How far away are your computers?
[snapback]33833[/snapback]
When i say router or hub i meant the base station which acts as both a hub and router, connected to the phone line. It again is made by BT. The computers are only metres apart, its a house hold network.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
When i say router or hub i meant the base station which acts as both a hub and router, connected to the phone line. It again is made by BT. The computers are only metres apart, its a house hold network.
[snapback]33835[/snapback]

Well what I'd recommend is getting a new wireless access point. The BT radio might be crap.  Turn off the wireless radio on the BT, plug the new access point into the BT and use that for wifi.  Maybe it will work better.

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »
Dont get Sat unless you have a clear sky. Some may remember my bird problems.

I have a 8MB connection at the moment, woop.