Other > Computer stuff

Anti-Spyware

<< < (2/3) > >>

Anheg:
I still pay 30$ a year for Spyware Doctor and it still works perfect for me. I only have to disable it when im playing Civilization 4 because it makes my computer unable to comuicate with a few friends (at least when using Direct IP)

420:
I recently destroyed Throbble's compy by downloading Gunz from a suspect site which gave me the "This will be installed unless you hit cancel in the next 10 seconds." I had wandered off during the download and got some evil shit called "DeeWoo" installed without my permission. This thing calls itself a "web browser enhancement" or something and causes your browsers to constantly open pop-ups while your computer is on.

I tried the Ad-Aware program posted by HeLL in the original post as well as the free Trend Mirco's HijackThis without any luck.

What I will say is that a full reinstall of Windows is the only real solution when it comes to this SpyWare/MalWare bullshit. After all, half of them are pretending to be anti-spyware aps and the other half just want you to install their product.

I guess my point is: "If you reinstall, fuck them all."

Soul Sojourner:

--- Quote from: 420 on November 26, 2008, 08:41:32 PM ---I recently destroyed Throbble's compy by downloading Gunz from a suspect site which gave me the "This will be installed unless you hit cancel in the next 10 seconds." I had wandered off during the download and got some evil shit called "DeeWoo" installed without my permission. This thing calls itself a "web browser enhancement" or something and causes your browsers to constantly open pop-ups while your computer is on.

I tried the Ad-Aware program posted by HeLL in the original post as well as the free Trend Mirco's HijackThis without any luck.

What I will say is that a full reinstall of Windows is the only real solution when it comes to this SpyWare/MalWare bullshit. After all, half of them are pretending to be anti-spyware aps and the other half just want you to install their product.

--- End quote ---
Ha, before you go through the effort, Spyware Doctor has a free version now, I believe it's the Starter Edition. That can be found here:
http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor-Starter-Edition/3000-8022_4-10704508.html

I have the free one on my comp, but I can't remember the specific download location. Anyway, I think that's it. This way you can actually remove Spyware with it without having to register.

Worth a try first.

Mo:

--- Quote from: 420 on November 26, 2008, 08:41:32 PM ---I recently destroyed Throbble's compy by downloading Gunz from a suspect site which gave me the "This will be installed unless you hit cancel in the next 10 seconds." I had wandered off during the download and got some evil shit called "DeeWoo" installed without my permission. This thing calls itself a "web browser enhancement" or something and causes your browsers to constantly open pop-ups while your computer is on.

--- End quote ---

No no, they win if you reinstall! :P

I find that the gamut of Ad-Aware, AVG Free, Windows Defender, Spy-bot: Search and Destroy normally should save you.  After running all those, use Spy-bot to edit the list of programs that start at boot time, normally the spyware will add themselves there.  Get rid of them from the list and delete the files manually if any of the scans missed them.

You really should be fine after that.  If not you could always go digging in the Registry but that's always a big PITA.

420:
Reinstall is your friend! Screw installing programs to remove unwanted programs. It takes less time and energy to just start over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version