Other > Computer stuff

Anti-Spyware

<< < (3/3)

Soul Sojourner:

--- Quote from: 420 on November 27, 2008, 01:41:13 AM ---Reinstall is your friend! Screw installing programs to remove unwanted programs. It takes less time and energy to just start over.

--- End quote ---
Not for me, I just run Spyware Doctor once a month or so, usually all I have is spyware cookies, I get rid of them and I'm good. If on a rare occasion I manage to get actual spyware(besides mere cookies), I run it, it finds it and deletes all of it, and I'm good to go. I've tried running various other programs to find stuff it misses, but it typically finds virtually everything.

What you have is Adware anyway, it's a lot better than what you could have gotten.

And what do you mean by: "Screw installing programs to remove unwanted programs."? Typically spyware is only a single file (per spyware). Various programs are out there that contain spyware files and the programs themselves are often considered spyware because of it, but in the case of 'spyware programs' programs don't require you to get new programs to be removed. Programs only need be deleted or uninstalled. Typically a program containing spyware leaves spyware behind, but the program is still gone. You actually don't need any programs to delete spyware, you can do it yourself if you know where to find it. You can find it yourself too, but that's more difficult than just deleting it (but not always).

Anti-Spyware programs are simply more convenient, especially in the case of browser hijackers and locating the spyware in the first place. (spyware cookies are easy if you don't mind removing site preferences such as telling a site to keep you logged in, just clear your cookies folder) I used to use Spyware Doctor simply to create a log of all the spyware it found, so I could track it all down and remove it myself. (since there was no free version at the time, and I hadn't registered it) Now there's a free version and it does it for you, what's not easy about that?

I don't know about you, but a reinstall sounds like a lot more work to me. I'm sure it takes longer to install an OS (specifically windows) than to run a scan.

420:
The problem was that I kept installing so called anti-spyware programs and none of them could get rid of this evil DeeWoo shit. In the end it took me less time to reinstall Windows XP than it did to download, install and run Adaware and HijackThis.

Soul Sojourner:

--- Quote from: 420 on November 27, 2008, 01:07:47 PM ---The problem was that I kept installing so called anti-spyware programs and none of them could get rid of this evil DeeWoo shit. In the end it took me less time to reinstall Windows XP than it did to download, install and run Adaware and HijackThis.

--- End quote ---
HijackThis is more of a tool than an Anti-Spyware program, and Ad-Aware sucks ass but it's about the best free anti-spyware program you could find, until Spyware Doctor made a free version.

Soul Sojourner:
I updated the topic to contain Malwarebytes which has been for awhile now the main anti-spyware program I use. It is second to Spyware Doctor to me, still. However, because it is much lighter and faster, I use it for normal routine scans, while I occasionally use Spyware Doctor for a good thorough scan.

Malwarebytes has been pretty good, and usually finds most everything, you can find it here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

There's a license version and a free one. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version