Author Topic: tyrael's exploding video card thread  (Read 8294 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
tyrael's exploding video card thread
« on: October 19, 2006, 02:33:10 PM »
I'm posting from my new computer! It came 9 days early, it wasn't even suppose to ship until the 25th.

Now to spend the rest of the day reinstalling 60 Gigs worth of software, yipee!

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:17:17 PM »
hope you have more luck than me, the geforce 7600 GS of my new pc came with an overheat problem and i was only seeing odd coloured polygons all over the screen, then i had to wait like 2 weeks for the replacement ( they didnt had it in stock thats why i had to wait more >_>) and now when it finnally comes this one has the same overheat problem again WTF!!!! :angry:  at least im sure its not the same cos first had fan and this one doesnt but omg its the fourth card ive bough that cames with overheat problem!!! (from different vendors) my luck with graphic cards just suck  :( now i see myself another week without graphic card surely...

btw i played the demo of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and that game really looks good.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:17:26 PM »
I should stop trying to read anything you say.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:34:55 PM »
its the fourth card ive bough that cames with overheat problem!!! (from different vendors) my luck with graphic cards just suck  :( now i see myself another week without graphic card surely...
[snapback]31966[/snapback]
What brand of GeForce do you get? I always buy PNY, their cards seem to be pretty solid.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:10:33 AM »
hope you have more luck than me, the geforce 7600 GS of my new pc came with an overheat problem and i was only seeing odd coloured polygons all over the screen, then i had to wait like 2 weeks for the replacement ( they didnt had it in stock thats why i had to wait more >_>) and now when it finnally comes this one has the same overheat problem again WTF!!!! :angry:  at least im sure its not the same cos first had fan and this one doesnt but omg its the fourth card ive bough that cames with overheat problem!!! (from different vendors) my luck with graphic cards just suck  :( now i see myself another week without graphic card surely...

btw i played the demo of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and that game really looks good.
[snapback]31966[/snapback]

Perhaps your case is very hot.  Or it might not be heat related.  Perhaps your motherboard has a compatibility issue with these cards.  Whats the temp of your video card?

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 11:43:52 AM »
o0o, Nice indeed. I baught a second arsonal for my custom case im building. It goe's something like:

AMD AM2 4600+ (2.4GHz AMD 64Bit Processor)
Asus SLi Delux Motherboard
nVidia GeForce 7950GT 512 x1 (Saving for the other one.)
1GB Corsair DDR2 RAM x2
HDA Xplosion DTS 7.1 Surround Sound Card (F*cking amazing card)

Eventualy im going to cluster two of the above systems effectivly utilizing the preformance of both in one machine Baowulf style.

Tyrael:
That sounds like you have something burnt out in your system, it can be incompatability aswell. Like plugging a AGP card into a PCI-Express slot. I nearly fried a system plugging in an old Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 card into a newer Motherboard. I saw what you described (coloured artifacts) it could also be your RAM. Does it do it with no GPU inserted? or if you place your old one in does it do it?

If it does, try removing one RAM stick at a time and booting up to see if the problem stops. if you have installed any other hardware before the Graphics card remove that first and see what happens. if all that fails, is your PC completely inclosed?.

EDIT:
Custom is cheaper if you shop smart. Conserning motherboards I believe the only 3 choices are Gigabyte, Asus and MSI. And is a preference thing, what are you going to use it for? Keep in mind too; this is the heart of your computer, so dont cheap out with your motherboard. (for example Asrock (Ass rock))

If you want it for Gaming, consider SLi/Crossfire(radeons Sli Equivalent). However you dont NEED SLi most of the high end GPU's (Graphics Processing Unit) today run any game off the shelf on maximum settings without a hitch.
And go AMD (Socket 939). Or if your a digital editor go for the latest Intel chips. (AMD will run one application faster than the application can supply resources however Intel will run several at a lower speed but more stable, Good for editors).

And regarding GPU's you just need to pick what suites your tastes.
Radeon: Runs Blazing fast but costs you on cooling especialy if you want to overclock.
nVidia: 90% of the cards run blazing fast aswell if you pick your model and driver right. And cooling is rarely an issue. All you realy require for a top end nVidia card is a decent power supply and your set. Though SLi will indeed start too generate heat, so you may need to splash some cash. However this can be resolved in most cases with just additional and well possitioned fans.

I would recomend;

AMD CPU Pick your poison (socket 939)
Gigabyte motherboard (Socket 939, SLi or standard PCI-Express)
nVidia GeForce 7 Series GPU (I would suggest 7600 +)
And what ever you feel is decent for a sound card. (Keep in mind however, dont buy old Sound cards you could end up with problems)

Edit again:

420, try these nVidia drivers out. I saw a 10 frames boost after installing them. And they also enable Transparent Antianilising on older cards and newer cards : p (nVidia didnt like that)

Windows 32Bit

Windows 64Bit

May I suggest cleaning your old drivers from your system first aswell. Causes some people problems after a while:

Driver Cleaner

Xen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 12:22:51 PM by Xen »

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:52:27 PM »
no it was actually just and overheat problem.. at least with the first 7600 cos the graphics card fan was not working, and playing oblivion at high settings with no cooling its a killer card went up to 122�º c and ye it didnt work anymore it even showed odd polygons in gunz (which you can even play with a geforce 440 mx)

the second one doesnt have fan just that steel thing that covers both parts of the graphics card to take the warm out and seems it was not enough it was always at 70-80�ºc without playin a game and like 80-90�º when playin games and dont think thats enough to make card burn, after 5 mins in oblivion all screen goes mad showing those odd coloured polygons (that are like enlargement of objects)
the graphic card is club 3d i bough 2 fans and installed both facing the graphic card and its still at 50�ºc normal and 60�º playing games but those polygons havent showed anymore today (havent played much anyways) but if over the weekend i get them again shopkeeper said he would replace it no problem but for an ati cos like some1 said could be an incompatibility with motherboard but anyone knows which ATI compares to 7600? like 150-200 euros. and yes both graphic card and motherboard are pci.

motherboard is ABIT Guru AX8 2.0
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939

- i tried those drivers and i didnt get any extra fps or anything seems like normal nvidia drivers to me....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:49:20 AM by tyrael084 »

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 09:07:55 AM »
Ah, dude. If your having a heat problem dont get a ATI card. They are known for there heat generating abilitys. The "Metal thing" is actualy copper tubing, which disperses heat. If your realy having this much trouble 1 of 2 things are in order; New case and more fans or a water cooling unit.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »
actually some new ATI showed to be better than NVIDIA the ati x1900xtx or so won in a bechmark  test with oblivion against geforce 7950 gtx, geforce had grass shadows disabled and ati had them enabled and had some new shader thingie ati implemented enabled too and ati still got more fps, but that seems to be only with latest cards cos i read that a geforce 6600gt is better than an ati x1600 >_< im really really not sure.
cos ill surely will have to exchange grahic card and ive always had problems  with geforce even if i like them more lol so just incase anyone knows a good ati card?
their numbers lost me >_>

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 02:27:54 PM »
Check this site out for your graphics comparison needs: gpureview.com

If you have a passively cooled video card (cooled with heatsink only. no fan) running hot under idle  (not playing games) conditions then your case temperature might be a little hot.  Consider adding a case fan or two.

go with a x1900gt

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
i said 150-200 or the low 200s but x1900gt its like 300+ ...
so i might change it for a 7600GT that is like 50 euros more than GS or dunno which ati yet >_<
the card only has a heatsink but i added 2 new fans facing directly to graphics card even with those extra fans its still at 50-55�ºc in desktop with everythin closed
and up to 65-70�ºc when playing and now shows the odd graphics after 1 hour or two instead 5 mins at least lol.

btw which temp graphic card should have without playin games?
30-40�º? or lower?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:49:07 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 09:22:33 PM »
btw which temp graphic card should have without playin games?
30-40�º? or lower?
[snapback]32004[/snapback]

30-40 is normal yes.

300+ euros for the x1900gt? It's $220 CAD here. Man they are ripping you off over there.   300 euros is $425CAD lol

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 10:45:34 PM »
my bad that was the x1900xt but gt its still costs more here its around 200 euros still so well luckily my card havent exploited yet but well im going for third card hope the third time is a charm its true lol or ill make the shop guy think im puttin graphics card in the microwave or something >_<

so it will be 7600GT or around ati x1900gt depending on the prices here but at least i hope i have this problem settled for when dark messiah and nwn 2 come out >_<
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:48:44 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 01:09:02 AM »
Uhm, I wasnt talking about benchmarks. I wont even start there, I was talking about heat issues.

And for the record my nVidia card is a monster.

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 04:37:58 AM »
The "Metal thing" is actualy copper tubing, which disperses heat. I
[snapback]32000[/snapback]

yuup true my geforce 6 card has that too and when I play oblivion it never exceeds 70-75�°C idle it's smt in 40-45�°C....
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »
my record is stated at 122Ã?ºc  :blink: in the first 7600GS it came with the fan bad connected or somethin so that card died over the weekend lol when i found out it was the fan and reconnected it, the card was always 30 somethin in idle 40-50 when playin but well that was too late card was already burned out.

Offline Sonicle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 02:34:54 PM »
my cd drive actually exploded a while ago ... properly the cd comitted suicide and the cd drive had to to bite into the dust too

now i have gimpÃ?² a new cd drive and no more frazzling photoshop cds  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:35:27 PM by Sonicle »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 05:39:55 PM »
I've never had to put the photoshop disc in to use it, not after installation.

Offline Sonicle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 09:41:16 PM »
i wanted to install it ...