Author Topic: Screenshots Thread  (Read 34183 times)

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:46:14 PM »
I know a bunch of screenshots were posted in the other thread, but I figured why not make a general screenshots thread, especially for later when the game is released.

Just an example of the very detailed customizability of NWN2 areas. I had fun setting the heights on these scrolls to get them to the right heights. That last object on the shelf is a "test-tube holder" of sorts for vials that are holding ink in this instance. If you can't tell, that's a quill next to the open scroll on the floor and the yellow light in the middle indicates a visual effect would be playing there while the mod is running.
[attachmentid=945]

-Elessar

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:05:21 PM »
(post!)

Cookies to the first person to identify the real life "thing" this arrangement mirrors. lol.

[attachmentid=946]
-elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 08:35:15 PM »
Here is some comparison shots between NWN and NWN2.

First two shots are an area in Smith Hold and a similar area in NWN2 (The north west room is the only one that's furnished so far):
[attachmentid=948][attachmentid=949]

Next two are screenshots from the same possition (kinda) in NWN and the furnished room in NWN2.
[attachmentid=950][attachmentid=952]

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 08:37:11 PM by 420 »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:27:09 PM »
Now that's a big beer keg.

Here's a final image for the area that those scrolls are in.

[attachmentid=953]

-Elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 06:14:40 PM »
Obsidian put too much starch in their cloaks.

OK, Mr. Fixit is ready, where is GS2?
[attachmentid=954]
(That is a "normal" sized half-orc next to the Purple Machine 2.0.)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »
Here is my character from Baldur's Gate and pre-expansion GodSpire days. Reefer Greenbud the wood elf (next to a normal size elf).
[attachmentid=955]

Chard!

Screenshots Thread
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:40:59 PM »
Here is my character from Baldur's Gate and pre-expansion GodSpire days. Reefer Greenbud the wood elf (next to a normal size elf).
[attachmentid=955]

[snapback]31737[/snapback]

Wow, he looks pretty cool. I like the hat.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 08:39:38 PM »
At first glance, I thought the feather was an exaust pipe...
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 11:46:37 AM »
Okay, I've been working and have finally kicked off my Netheril project that I originally planned for NWN1, but height-mapping in NWN2 is so much better for it, lol.

Here's two shots depicting several hours of work here.
The first one is a bird's-eye-view of the city. Unfortunately I can't get the FarClip option to go any higher than 1000 so some of it's cut off at the top and bottom. About an hour of the work I have done was simply getting rid of a lot of land just to get the right appearance as well as height-mapping the land, which was rather hard, lol (If you've never heard of Netheril, many of the major cities were floating, also called Enclaves).

[attachmentid=956]

The second one is a close up area on the center which I've been focusing on. The large structure on the left of the image in Karsus Castle, which took a while to get right with the height mapped portions as well as combining the right placeables to get a Castle-like effect. There are several magical doors that lead into it. I know for a fact that this is not the final version of the exterior of the castle. The large building in the center which also appears like a castle is the Mythallar housing unit, very large, very well protected (it's kinda inaccessable by foot in here). The Mythallar is the power house of the Enclaves. At the bottom right of the page is the Constabulary Branch, and if you look closely you can see three off-duty guards standing around. The dark building to the Constabulary's left is the Academy of Mentalist Studies, and right behind it, although you can't see much, is Ioulaum Industries. Not everything is in exact position as the map I have of Karsus, but in a somewhat approximate position.

[attachmentid=957]

-Elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:50:22 PM »
Here is some cool screenshots of various dynamic humanoid models in NWN2:
Zombies, Skeletons, Kolbolds, Githyanki, Goblins and Gnolls

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 04:30:08 PM »
Here is some cool screenshots of various dynamic humanoid models in NWN2:
Zombies, Skeletons, Kolbolds, Githyanki, Goblins and Gnolls

[snapback]31749[/snapback]

Hey, any idea why I can't get any of my creatures' weapons to show up?

-Elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 06:22:01 PM »
Hey, any idea why I can't get any of my creatures' weapons to show up?
-Elessar
[snapback]31750[/snapback]
Apparently there is a problem with older versions of Windows Installer that is causing frequent crashes and graphical glitches. I followed these steps and the NWN2 Toolset became much more stable.

1. Uninstall NWN2 Toolset (it will save your .mod files and preferences even if you choose not to keep save games).

2. Uninstall .NET 2.0 (through the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel).

3. Download and install Windows Installer 3.1

4. Reinstall NWN2 Toolset (which includes .NET 2.0)

It crashed the first time I started it after these steps (I suspect a corrupted cache file) but since then it has been much more stable and menus, areas and mods open up faster. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you had the newest video drivers installed. nVidia is on version 91.47 now.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 08:09:43 PM »
Apparently there is a problem with older versions of Windows Installer that is causing frequent crashes and graphical glitches. I followed these steps and the NWN2 Toolset became much more stable.

1. Uninstall NWN2 Toolset (it will save your .mod files and preferences even if you choose not to keep save games).

2. Uninstall .NET 2.0 (through the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel).

3. Download and install Windows Installer 3.1

4. Reinstall NWN2 Toolset (which includes .NET 2.0)

It crashed the first time I started it after these steps (I suspect a corrupted cache file) but since then it has been much more stable and menus, areas and mods open up faster. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you had the newest video drivers installed. nVidia is on version 91.47 now.

[snapback]31751[/snapback]

err....I already have Windows Installer 3.1 installed.

-Elessar

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 02:48:08 PM »
Another Screenshot from Karsus Enclave:

[attachmentid=959]

The large building in front is the University of Definitive Archwizardry, the buildings of similar appearances to eachother in the background are dormitories for both this University and the Academy of Mentalist studies pictured in the last image of Karsus that I posted. If you can see it in back, I moved the Mythalar Housing, and on the upper terrace you have a better view of the Constabulary branch with the three constables, a Mortuary that I added in, and the walls of Karsus Castle. Also a little vegetation has been added to the areas I've finished up thus far.

-Elessar

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 02:48:45 PM by Lord Elessar »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »
Very nice work here.  I must say.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:31:45 PM by Mo »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 04:02:52 PM »
Hehe, thanks Mo!

Another picture that demonstrates the tree-seeding. Fortunately I didn't have to go through all the different seeds to find ones I liked. There are plug-ins for download on nwvault that will randomize it for you.
[attachmentid=960]

Obviously the oak tree I have selected is extremely large, I think the only single placeable I have in the city so far that rivals it is the Mythallar Housing unit. I replaced all the swamp trees from the earlier picture so now they are various trees from the Summer category in the trees section. Here you can also see the building I put ontop of that highest terrace in place of the Mythallar Housing unit. It's a theater and just in front of it is a bazaar. On the mid-terrace you can see a few residential houses and a half-burried gazebo used for a town cryer. The lower terrace buildings are a tavern and the building for the League for Noted Singers and Performers.

-Elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 04:19:57 PM »
Obviously the oak tree I have selected is extremely large, I think the only single placeable I have in the city so far that rivals it is the Mythallar Housing unit. I replaced all the swamp trees from the earlier picture so now they are various trees from the Summer category in the trees section.
[snapback]31772[/snapback]
Remember there is a performance limit of 5 different trees per area. This includes both tree types and random seeds but not scaling. So for instance, you can have Oak trees that use 5 different seeds and scale them as much as you want. Or you can have Oak and Spruce trees, one with 2 seed variations the other with 3, again as many different scales as you want. Or you can have 5 different types of trees, each one only using a single seed and scale those as much as you want.

This limit affects all Speedtree placeables including bushes.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:20:39 PM by 420 »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 04:21:37 PM »
Remember there is a performance limit of 5 different trees per area. This includes both tree types and random seeds but not scaling. So for instance, you can have Oak trees that use 5 different seeds and scale them as much as you want. Or you can have Oak and Spruce trees, one with 2 seed variations the other with 3, again as many different scales as you want. Or you can have 5 different types of trees, each one only using a single seed and scale those as much as you want.

This limit affects all Speedtree placeables including bushes.

[snapback]31774[/snapback]

that irritates me. screw them, if i find it affects performance when the game comes out i'll change it.

-Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
Screw that.  I don't think Oblivion cared about performance! And look how nice that game turned out to be.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 06:23:12 PM »
err....I already have Windows Installer 3.1 installed.
-Elessar
[snapback]31752[/snapback]

Doh, look what was on the Bioware forums:
Posted 10/08/06 22:26 (GMT) by Chad_Nightshade_Blodgett

make sure you get windows installer 3.1 VERSION B, version A is the FUBAR version.
It's even worse than that, the file I got from Microsoft is "Windows Installer 3.1 version 2" if that isn't the most confusing thing to do to their customers I don't know what is.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 12:19:50 AM »
I fucked around with Windows Installer 3.1 previously. Was fixing a comp where the updates would always fail, one needed update was that one, but it would fail getting it, I had to fuck around with it for awhile, eventually I just used Google Autopatcher. Fucking microsoft...

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 03:04:43 PM »
First, I have good news and bad news. The good news is I have three fun new pictures:

Here you can see the roof of the Dundadem Amory. The building in front of the arches in the Netheril Mint, and the circular building behind the tree is the Museum of Heavy Magic which I probably will not make the inside of because it's so damn complex.
[attachmentid=963]

Here's just a side pic of Dundadem Armory. The person is Dundadem's apprentice Lucio as he works on a project.
[attachmentid=964]

And here's one of the two waterfalls I have in Karsus. The other one is behind the Museum of Heavy Magic.
[attachmentid=965]

Then, the bad news:
Elessar's Sad, Sad Story
Remember how I said screw Obsidian about the seed trees? Well taht came and bit me in the butt. I was moving to take pictures and I had a memory leak. My computer restarted itself. I open up the mod and move back to where I was and had yet another memory leak. It suddenly dawns on me to fix the seed trees with the plugin. I do it, I take a picture and then go to move toward the rest of the area. Little did I know the destruction wreaked by the memory leaks. I find this GAPING HOLE consisting of four of the black squares in Karsus center. I select the area and find that everything is still there. It's just not there. creepy creepy. So now I have to figure out how the hell to fix that, I think I may just have to uninstall/reinstall, but I don't know. Here is the horrible, horrible picture to accompany my story.

[attachmentid=966]

Note: I can and will cry if I have to remake the area.

-Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 03:23:03 PM »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Always be backing up!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 04:03:26 PM »
I find this GAPING HOLE consisting of four of the black squares in Karsus center. I select the area and find that everything is still there. It's just not there. creepy creepy. So now I have to figure out how the hell to fix that, I think I may just have to uninstall/reinstall, but I don't know. Here is the horrible, horrible picture to accompany my story.
[snapback]31819[/snapback]
I get area corruption glitches all the time (when I'm not crashing), usually just closing the toolset and reopening it will fix things. Also try the backup.mod file.

EDIT: In fact, due to the many memory leaks in the NWN2 tooslet I recommend restarting it every 30 minutes or at least once an hour and any time you want to work on a different area/mod.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:04:55 PM by 420 »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 04:13:23 PM »
I get area corruption glitches all the time (when I'm not crashing), usually just closing the toolset and reopening it will fix things. Also try the backup.mod file.

EDIT: In fact, due to the many memory leaks in the NWN2 tooslet I recommend restarting it every 30 minutes or at least once an hour and any time you want to work on a different area/mod.

[snapback]31824[/snapback]

Well, thankfully I just had to duplicate the area and the hole was patched, but it memory leaked again which is really irritating me. It's not like I don't have enough RAM and I still have 19.4gigs of space left on my harddrive, I can't figure out why it's suddenly memory leaking so much now. The one last night when I was in throbbleserve with the toolset open was the first one all weekend.

-Elessar

EDIT: Hopefully I won't memory leak much more if I follow 420's suggestions, even if they are rather irritating to have to do. Here's a side picture of Karsus that includes the other waterfall and a better view of the Museum of Heavy Magic.

[attachmentid=967]

-Elessar

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:21:18 PM by Lord Elessar »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 05:25:17 PM »
Cool waterfall!

Also, try increasing the virtual memory used by your system. (For Win 2K this is in System Properties/Advanced/Performance Options.) If you have enough free hard drive space make sure the minimum is set to 1.5 of your currect system RAM. Throbble has 1 Gig of RAM so I set the min to 1536MB and the max to 2000MB.

Now for the picture: Here is Bob's brother (also called "Bob"). He has gaudy taste in clothing and he doesn't realize that armor made out of various dragon hides may upset some folk. Like those Abishai behind him for instance!
[attachmentid=968]

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 09:31:55 AM »
Also, try increasing the virtual memory used by your system. (For Win 2K this is in System Properties/Advanced/Performance Options.)
[snapback]31827[/snapback]
Aye. It's almost the same for XP:
System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory (At the bottom, click "change.")

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »
Another screenshot update from Karsus Enclave, folks! What I would really like right now would be to be able to post a birds-eye view of the entire city, but unfortunately the effin bugs in the toolset cause a memory leak every time I try. So, here are just a few pictures from the last major sections of Karsus.

This picture displays a pretty residential area of Karsus, although you can see some important buildings like the Shadow Consortium and the Library of Netheril in the top-right corner as well as the first Constabulary Branch and a small training grounds for it on the left side of the picture.
[attachmentid=969]

This is going left from the picture above. Yes, that is a dock suspended in mid-air on faux water. That would be the Galley Steamers company. Another important company in Karsus that you can see in here is QMIII which is the building to the far right in the picture.
[attachmentid=970]

Again, going left from the picture above, but at a different angle than before. A small cul de sac with some houses just out of sight. The smithy on the right is Rualadeen Arms, the public Bathhouses(the large open structure), and part of Mardon's Mountaineering, although all you can see of that is the raised plateau behind Rualadeen's that is used in the classes.
[attachmentid=971]

Well, that's all for now. If I can get a Far-Clip I will post it. After I've given up on a far-clip I will start further-sprucing up these areas as well as making the interiors for all these lovely buildings.

-Elessar

EDIT: I was browsing the NWN2 forums and found a thread with some very nice screenshots of city structures. Take a look if you're interested. clicky

-Elessar

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 07:22:57 PM by Lord Elessar »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 09:45:33 PM »
Check out the 4th post down in this thread to see some various Planescape locals outside of Sigil: http://www.roguedao.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p...=310&highlight=

EDIT: Found  a link with all those and more: Rogue Dao Screen Shots Preview

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:48:29 PM by 420 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Screenshots Thread
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »
Well, Throbble got a video card upgrade yesterday, her nVidia GeForce 5600 has been replaced by a nVidia GeForce 7600 GS (8X AGP, 512MB DDR2). Check out the difference in the detail compared with the above screenshots:

Here are the Ferapples brothers again:
[attachmentid=972][attachmentid=973]

Here is one I call, "Mr. Fixit meets a titan":
[attachmentid=974]