Author Topic: Problem with task manager  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Problem with task manager
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:24:13 PM »
a game got stucked then when i tried to open task manager it said " the task manager has been disabled by an administrator" im the administrator and also the only one that uses the pc but it wasnt me, so its obviously a virus or something so anyone can help with this? >_>

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:27:04 PM »
a game got stucked then when i tried to open task manager it said " the task manager has been disabled by an administrator" im the administrator and also the only one that uses the pc but it wasnt me, so its obviously a virus or something so anyone can help with this? >_>
[snapback]30707[/snapback]

Ouch. You running Windows XP? Have you tried a hard reboot? (ie hit reset or turn the power off and back on)

Just another example of how Microsoft is taking all the power away from the user. Log into my own fucking computer?!?!? BITE ME!

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:06:29 PM »
its not a windows problem its a virus i found a folder called allL33T >_< it doesnt even let me open regedit so guess my comp its just screwed up :/

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:22:46 PM »
its not a windows problem its a virus i found a folder called allL33T >_< it doesnt even let me open regedit so guess my comp its just screwed up :/
[snapback]30709[/snapback]

Time for Norton or MacAfee, doesn't Microsoft have a malicious software removal thing now?

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:28:09 PM »
i removed it the problem is that i dont know how to change things as an admin i mean turning register and tasmanager back on >_>
it says an admin disabled it but dunno how to turn it on again

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 09:32:57 PM »
You can always do things like that in safe mode. =P

To turn it back on, you could try rebooting in safe mode. There should be a second user, called "Administrator" You should be able to edit the settings of your normal user under "User Accounts" in control panel.

Norton and Mcafee both suck ass. Microsoft has a "Malicious Software Removal" tool in XP, upgraded through Windows updates, but it's a piece of shit that does little.

Alot of viruses will be running and actively prevent you from getting rid of it, normally the first step is to open task manager and find the process, end it, then continue to find the virus. As well as removing it from the registry. However, as you said it had turned off task manager, you should go into Safe Mode. =P It won't run at startup in safe mode, and you can log into the administrator account.

I know you said you already got rid of it, but with viruses come adware and spyware. I would make sure you have gotten rid of everything. Find a good anti-spyware scanner and rid yourself of them, and a good anti-virus. I use Spyware Doctor and Avast! personally, as well as Spyware Begone for extra protection. Another good step once things are fixed, go into safe mode with networking, visit Trend Micros website, and use their housecall. It's free and it often gets a couple missed things.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 07:52:16 PM »
well i tried mcafee, spyware doctor and trend micro housecall they detected a few things but nothin related to it so the only program that actually helped me was one called "unlocker" so when windows says he cant delete a program because its being used and blah blah blah unlocker says what is using it so i found out after already fixing it just created a new admin account and deleting the other so i can use taskmanager again that the virus thingie was integrated into msn so when my sister used msn the virus installed again >_<,  i deleted the virus files and msn and fixed it again makin another admin account and deleting the infected one and now "seems" to be fixed but not sure if its also integrated in another program exe :/ hope not. the virus was called wormaililis.exe or somethin like that