Author Topic: Couple questions  (Read 11298 times)

Offline Cannon Fodder

• View Profile
Couple questions
« on: July 31, 2006, 08:20:28 AM »
Hey all, I just recently picked up HotU, heh. Yeah I know,way after the fact. I'm curious what the Godspire legit item limits are with a level 40 toon.

420, been trying to catch your server but seems to be a time conflict... I work graveyard shift central time unfortunately. Will keep trying.

Anyways, any advice on the 40 build is appreciated. later all
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:13:08 AM by Cannon Fodder »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Couple questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:55:27 AM »
heya cannon fodder!
as so neatly laid out by 420: GS Item Restrictions

hmmm...builds off the top of my head...

9 monk, 3 wizard/sorcerer, 28 arcane archer? haven't made an AA in a while
11 fighter, 1 wizard/sorcerer, 28 weapon master.....meh they're all similar, lol

-Elessar

Offline Cannon Fodder

• View Profile
Couple questions
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:11:54 AM »
Thank you Elessar.

I see the AA temp really didn't change much... just more AA added =).

TS weaponmaster... this a two-hander(scythe), shield and/or dex temp?

Also, 'pure' tanks still bottom of the barrel? Always had a grievance with the play hybrid or lose status of the old days.

Ser Red Ronnet Connington

Couple questions
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »
Thank you Elessar.

I see the AA temp really didn't change much... just more AA added =).

TS weaponmaster... this a two-hander(scythe), shield and/or dex temp?

Also, 'pure' tanks still bottom of the barrel? Always had a grievance with the play hybrid or lose status of the old days.
[snapback]30696[/snapback]

A big difference now is the servers AC and ruleset. If you like tanks, the best ruleset is 12 AC, its a very limited and boring ruleset but it lets the *Tank* builds dominate whereas in 9 its more the Dex based builds with a good ab/ac ratio. High base ac with a good instantaeous ab boost is whats required in 9.

Eg a build I made for the 12 AC server Epic Arena==> 12 fighter 2 monk 26 DD.
It has a max ac of 107 with shield and ie, therefore vs the max ab build in 12 AC the lvl 10 1to1 pre 20 ab class, 1 bard, 29 aa which has 89 ab, it needs an 18 roll to hit my 107 ac. My epic dmg reduction is huge + resists allowed in the pvp on gear. it also has 1160 +- hp and a max apr of 10(which is the max in any form of the game) combined with imp power attack make it can dominate high ab builds to bards to wm's to anything short of a spell caster or a hp spamming cleric with 26 str for anti horning wm's. An example of a tank build doing well.

In 9 ac however that build would get slaughtered - 15 ac = max ac of 92 vs high ab builds with 89 ab or more with the use of hips which makes ab skyrocket. therefore not good for tanks.
Why not come to gs cannon and we can duel il be there.

As to ur questions the best wm is generally a the dexer with a shield altough ive seen the scythers do alot better vs rdd mages with 300 + dmg crits. Scythers low ac makes it easy pray for good ac builds and/or pms.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:07:09 PM by Ser Red Ronnet Connington »

Offline Cannon Fodder

• View Profile
Couple questions
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 12:26:35 PM »
Unfortunate in my opinion. I see that HotU didn't really balance the tank issue, again my opinion.

The issue being weapon finesse. A dexer gets attack and defense from Dex, strength fighters have to split their points.

IF heavy armor was modified by Str (logical in my opinion) THEN strength fighters wouldn't need a 'special' ruleset to compete.

IF's and THEN's+Opinions=design your own game.... heh.

Ah well, still it's good to be back crunching numbers and fighting. Looking forward to NWN2.

(Always thought the AC modifiers should be based on dex and str on a curve. Heavier armor requiring more Str to use effectively but limiting Dex. Then Str is overbalanced so this is flawed as well =), boggles the mind trying to think of ways to balance a game like this.)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »
[snapback]30696[/snapback]

As far as I know, Joe Fixit and Cuchulann's Hummus McHaggis are the only 2 "pure" (ie no spells) tanks. Fixit is Battle Axe and Shield while Hummus is war hammer and shield. I believe they both have 1 level of monk for the tumble AC (40 Tumble = +8 AC).

I also have a non-caster, dex based, weapon finese, kama weapon master, 70 ab and 6 attacks per round.

Other than that, all my other melee fighters use True Strike (with a ton of 1st level spell slot item properties). I got a real nice greatsword Devistating Critical weapon master who has extremely low AC but can still kick ass. I have quite a few True Strike duelers including a level 38 Ranger and an Arcane Archer build that both rely on True Strike.

The Arcane Archer build is a good one, especially if you make it Wisdom based and use Zen Archery. Pump points into Spot/Listen and your elven archer becomes the bane of all Shadowdancers (the Hide in Plain Sight builds are very popular.

As far as ThrobbleServ goes, it's usually up in the Social channel between 9AM and Midnight PST. You may have not seen it this weekend because I was running a special test mod in Role Play all weekend. Classic ThrobbleServ is back up until next weekend. Hope to see you there or on GodSpire soon!

Offline Hubba

• MSN Messenger - roy_paprika@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:00:11 PM »
As far as I know, Joe Fixit and Cuchulann's Hummus McHaggis are the only 2 "pure" (ie no spells) tanks. Fixit is Battle Axe and Shield while Hummus is war hammer and shield. I believe they both have 1 level of monk for the tumble AC (40 Tumble = +8 AC).

I also have a non-caster, dex based, weapon finese, kama weapon master, 70 ab and 6 attacks per round.

Other than that, all my other melee fighters use True Strike (with a ton of 1st level spell slot item properties). I got a real nice greatsword Devistating Critical weapon master who has extremely low AC but can still kick ass. I have quite a few True Strike duelers including a level 38 Ranger and an Arcane Archer build that both rely on True Strike.

The Arcane Archer build is a good one, especially if you make it Wisdom based and use Zen Archery. Pump points into Spot/Listen and your elven archer becomes the bane of all Shadowdancers (the Hide in Plain Sight builds are very popular.

As far as ThrobbleServ goes, it's usually up in the Social channel between 9AM and Midnight PST. You may have not seen it this weekend because I was running a special test mod in Role Play all weekend. Classic ThrobbleServ is back up until next weekend. Hope to see you there or on GodSpire soon!

[snapback]30701[/snapback]

Please, don't forget Tankin' Hubba :(.

Ser Red Ronnet Connington

Couple questions
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »
[snapback]30702[/snapback]

Or Ser Matthias Ralyone, Ser Gryant Merage and Ser Simone Toyne The Smiling Knight. All 12 AC builds but also useable in 9 AC.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:11:37 PM by Ser Red Ronnet Connington »

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »
[snapback]30702[/snapback]
Who?
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Hubba

• View Profile
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:09:09 AM »
Who?
[snapback]30705[/snapback]

My 95 AC, 1255 hp tank, with 27 damage reduction.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:09:29 AM by Hubba »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »
My 95 AC, 1255 hp tank, with 27 damage reduction.
[snapback]30713[/snapback]

Ha ha ha, yeah but what is his ab?

I still have that level 40 barbarian with 1400 HPs, Guttinous Maximus.

Offline Cannon Fodder

• View Profile
Couple questions
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 08:37:40 AM »
Speaking of AB, I notice it isn't listed in the GS limits posted by 420.

At level 22 looks like I can get +11 AB. Is 11 the limit then?

Offline Hubba

• View Profile
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 09:06:22 AM »

[snapback]30723[/snapback]

Depends on how much damage you are willing to sacrifice, if i don't have TS i usually cap my AB at +9.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 12:14:20 PM »

[snapback]30723[/snapback]

Yeah, +11 ab is the limit but you sacrifice a lot of potential damage for it. Sometimes I'll do a 9ab + keen weapon if I'm going for low damage, high hits and hope for a few crits.

Usually I keep 1 pure ab weapon, 1 pure damage weapon (for high AC monks) and 1 Holy Avenger dispel weapon for pesky casters.

Offline Cannon Fodder

• View Profile
Couple questions
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »
food for thought. looking at my old builds I see I used to pack alot of weapons without AB at all. counting on the big crits I guess. it's coming back slow =)

crunched through the build some this morning and came up with a few things

81 ac seems about as good as I can get with the str build(assuming I'm not missing something)

mid sixty's on AB.. plan on packing a couple different weapons depending on situation(one weapon for real tanks... one for all others =)

as far as AC/AB goes how does this compare?

oh yeah, and just wondering... GS down for the count? IP change? been a couple days since I have seen it up

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Couple questions
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »
food for thought. looking at my old builds I see I used to pack alot of weapons without AB at all. counting on the big crits I guess. it's coming back slow =)

crunched through the build some this morning and came up with a few things

81 ac seems about as good as I can get with the str build(assuming I'm not missing something)

mid sixty's on AB.. plan on packing a couple different weapons depending on situation(one weapon for real tanks... one for all others =)

oh yeah, and just wondering... GS down for the count? IP change? been a couple days since I have seen it up
[snapback]30726[/snapback]

its up, weather and an ip change had it down for a while though, check this thread for the new ip

-elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Couple questions
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 08:06:18 PM »

[snapback]30726[/snapback]

81 AC is the best I can squeeze from a str fighter, but consider getting Improved Expertise. That way when you switch to the damage weapon you can give yourself +10 AC -10 AB, since you arn't relying on AB with a damage weapon.

AB is good, with a pure ab weapon I can usually get around 68 AB for strength based weapon masters and 70 AB for dex based ones.

Offline Cannon Fodder

• View Profile
Couple questions
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 09:17:01 AM »
Welp, Cannon Fodder 2.0 is ready for action... maybe =).

Thanks for all the input guys, hope to see some of you online this weekend.