Other > General Gaming

Emulators

(1/5) > >>

Soul Sojourner:
What is an emulator?

Well forget the fancy descriptions. Simply put, they act as if they are the original gaming console, but run from your hard drive instead. Basically, if you have an SNES (Super Nintendo) emulator, you can play SNES games on your computer with it.

How do you do that, you ask? It's not like the actual games have an insertion slot. There are files you play the games with, called roms.. All you have to do is find a rom for a game and open it with the emulator and play.

If we upgrade a little bit, and use let's say, a Playstation emulator rather than a SNES emulator, things change a little bit. For one, we no longer use "roms" instead, we use CD Image files, such as ISO, CCD, IMG, and other formats. These can be burned to discs and played as though they are the game itself, or may be "mounted" to a fake disc drive by a program such as Daemon Tools, which basically fools your computer into believing there is another disc drive, and that the mounted image file is a disk in that drive.

Of course, emulators have their advantage, such as no need for GameShark, or GameGenie etc. Many emulators have those built-in, so cheat away. Besides that luxury, most of them can save instances, so you can basically save whatever and whenever you want to. Even during cinematics or while the game is starting up! Obviously this is more convenient, but also allows for a far easier game if you like the idea of using it to cheat.

Now I have heard people bringing these beautiful creations up on here recently, hence the reason I decided to make this topic. However, I did not make it for the sheer purpose of giving a brief explanation as to what they are; I made it to provide help in getting them, and a little of my knowledge on some of the NES (regular Nintendo), SNES (Super Nintendo) emulators, playstation, and perhaps other emulators.

Just remember, the "rule" of emulators is that whatever game you download, you are supposed to have the real game for. It is otherwise illegal, and this board is in no way responsible if you decide to download any games illegally, or if you obtain malware/viruses/or your computer explodes as a result of doing so. Point the finger elsewhere.

-------------------------------------------------

I will start with NES. NES stands for Nintendo Entertainment System. A few popular titles you've heard of have started here, on this system. Such as Final Fantasy,  Dragon Warrior, or the Legend of Zelda.

I have gotten to liking the Jnes emulator the most. It has a decent cheat system, and is set up in a nice and orderly fashion. There are many others besides this one and I have tried many, if not all, of the major ones and I would recommend this one over the rest. That is my opinion and preference though, experiment for yourself to see what suites you best.

Here is a link to some NES emulators, Jnes is the third one down. I will note that the first one is also very good, but only experienced users may want to use it. (Not necessarily, but..)

NES Emulators

Now, you have access to NES emulators, but what about roms? Well, there are many places all over the web that you can look for NES roms, but I will provide a link to some anyways.
NES Roms

One last thing, for those of you interested in the Dragon Warrior series. The first four are for NES, and I know a place that provides all four roms, plus walkthroughs, guides, maps, and just about anything you could want for the Dragon Warrior series. It's a really sweet site if you like the series!

Dragon Warrior Series

Now for the SNES. SNES stands for Super Nintendo Entertainment System. This system has had countless games, and I can tell you from having played it for years since I was little, that this system holds some of the best games ever created. (not just my opinion! FACT! =P)

Now once again, I have tried various emulators for SNES. My personal favorite is the Snes9x. Once again I would recommend this one above the rest. Let me note, however, that the ZSNES is just as good and just as popular. Between the two of them, it really just depends on which one is more suitable to you.

Here is a link to some SNES emulators, the Snes9x and the ZSNES are the top two.

SNES Emulators

What's an emulator without any roms to play it? Well, I'll tell you that my absolute favorite site for SNES roms WAS www.cherryroms.com, but the site is down. =( I am unsure whether or not it will ever be back up again. (probably not =( ) Like any other emulator roms can be obtained from various locations on the web, but I will nonetheless provide a link to a place with some of them.

SNES Roms

As a side note, if you plan on using an SNES emulator and enjoy RPG's, I will recommend trying out Super Mario RPG, The Legend of the Seven Stars. It is an RPG, and one of my favorite games for the SNES. It's graphics are really excellent compared to most other SNES games.

Some other good titles:
Chrono Trigger
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Star Ocean

There are various other good ones, these are RPG's. My mind is drawing blanks right now, sorry. =(

Sony Playstation! Also has countless games... really... countless. There are many emulators for the Playstation as you may have guessed. ePSXe is, without a doubt, my favorite.

Playstation Emulators are a little bit trickier than the ones we've already covered. For these we use CD Image files and we have about a billion plugins we can use to get games to function the way we want them to.

For a list of Playstation Emulators and information, plugins, tools, etc. regarding all of them:
NGemu -> Playstation

The links I am providing pertain particularly to the ePSXe emulator.

The emulator can be found here: ePSXe Playstation Emulator
Plugins here: ePSXe Plugins
Daemon Tools (for CD Image mounting): Daemon Tools
Playstation Games: Rom Hustler

A particular note about cheating with ePSXe, there are multiple plugins/add-ons you can use but there isn't one built in. The one I use is a seperate cheating program/plugin that can be used with ePSXe, but needs to be downloaded seperately. This basically allows you to use a system like GameShark. It's real easy to use, although I've only used it a couple of times.
The link to that is here: PEC Plugin

One more thing to note. zlib1.dll file is missing! This error occurs when using ePSXe 1.7.0.0. To fix it, all you need to do is download the file and place it in your WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder. Keep in mind that is SYSTEM not System32!!!
The link to the file can be found here: zlib1.dll

There are numerous other emulators too. Such as ones for Sega, Gameboy, N64, Playstation 1,2, XBOX, etc. Just take a look around. ISO's and Roms can be found in many different places, if you are looking for something specific, and cannot find it, I urge you not to give up. Sometimes they can be difficult to obtain. When it comes to Playstation, you can most definitely take a game that you have a physical copy of, and make it into a playable ISO. However, I am not going to cover how to do that here, sorry.

As a last helpful little effort, I will provide you with some general links to help aid you in your searches.

**This is my all time favorite site regarding Playstation, Playstation 2, XBOX, N64 and many others.
http://www.ngemu.com/index.php

---This is a great site to find Emulators:
http://www.emulator-zone.com/

---This is a great site to find ROMs:
http://www.freeroms.com/

---This is a great site in general, for ROMs, Emulators, and the like:
http://www.emuparadise.org/

--This site is excellent for Playstation games as well as other games:
http://romhustler.net/

--This one seems to have an interesting collection:
http://www.rom-freaks.net/

--This one has an interesting collection as well:
http://www.romnation.net/

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also, there is an emulator out there that can emulate buttons on your keyboard with a controller/joystick. I find it extremely useful when using ePSXe, because I have two buttons on my controller emulate my keyboard's quick save and quick load keys. As the emulator itself only allows you to change the hotkeys on the keyboard to other keys. It can be useful for various other emulators and situations as well, I like it so I can kick back and don't have to mess with the damn keyboard. :)

It's called JoyToKey and it can be found here:
JoyToKey

-----------------------------------------------------------

Any other information you want to know, or any questions you may have, let me know. I might know the answer, or if not, I can help you to find it.

Good luck and have fun! =P

://///:UPDATED: New information regarding Playstation emulators, updated links, and updated other general information.
://///:UPDATED: Added JoyToKey information, and fixed a few typos/grammatical errors.

Chard!:
Thanks alot HeLL!! I'm playing FF1 at the moment.  :lol:

Mo:
There are also Playstation emulators available.

Soul Sojourner:

--- Quote ---There are also Playstation emulators available.
[snapback]30032[/snapback]
--- End quote ---
And xbox, and atari, and xbox360, and gameboy advanced, the list goes on...

Sonicle:
thanks a lot hell ... im going to play trough the whole final fantasy series now

good bye social life...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version