Author Topic: Could this possably be a good thing?  (Read 19467 times)

Ser Red Ronnet Connington

Could this possably be a good thing?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006, 08:25:27 AM »
Isn't he from Wales? Don't they have quite a different accent than British who aren't from Wales.
[snapback]29867[/snapback]

The Welsh have a cool accent in my opinion. Better then most english accents... like imogen on bb

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 08:29:18 AM »
Actually, if you study the history of language, you'll find that modern Americans (in general) sound more like Shakespeare than the modern English (in general) sound.

Go control group!

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]29863[/snapback]

That might be the case... or it could be total bollox, we dont know, nor will we. I mean how do we know how shakespeare pronounced his words... besides that shakespeare did not invent the langauge.. and there is alot of dispute as to wether shakespeare actually wrote half of the plays that are acredited to him.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 08:29:47 AM by Ser Red Ronnet Connington »

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »
Oh by the way happy birthday Ser Red... 19 already and studying fro f***ing exams.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 09:40:52 AM »
EDIT: =P moo.

-Elessar
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:06:36 AM by Lord Elessar »

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 10:18:08 AM »
And that would be a TRIPPLE post. There is an edit button, buddy.
Actually, a great deal of the words in the English language are acreditted to being first used enmass by Shakespeare. For instance, in his time, you could be alone, but they had no idea what it meant to be lonely until Shakespeare used it. Besides, he has extra credit since he's considered by many to probably be the best writer in English history.
-Elessar
[snapback]29879[/snapback]

Ive looked for the definition of the word 'enmass' in a third dictionary. I cant find it, therefore can u tell me its meaning, or was it misspelled? I dont know if u understand my point... i dont deny the credit shakespeare has recieved, im saying there have been many rumors since the 1800s, claiming shakespeare actually did not write many of his plays, that they were rather written by Sir Francis Bacon or Christopher Marlowe or the Earl of Oxford. Now if by any chance these rumors are true.. then shakespeare obviously does not deserve the title of best english writer in history... and also Elessar i asked how is it possible to know the way shakespeare pronounced his words; the argument was about accents, not about the slight variation of the meaning of words like 'alone'.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:21:26 AM by Ser Red Ronnet Connington »

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 10:18:39 AM »
And that would be a TRIPPLE post. There is an edit button, buddy.
Actually, a great deal of the words in the English language are acreditted to being first used enmass by Shakespeare. For instance, in his time, you could be alone, but they had no idea what it meant to be lonely until Shakespeare used it. Besides, he has extra credit since he's considered by many to probably be the best writer in English history.
-Elessar
[snapback]29879[/snapback]

word creation != pro-nun-see-ay-shun

I also coined a few words myself:

to muntilate - to make something normal look really ugly
plebulite - a really thick plebian
shitscape - a refuse tip
bushism - a retarded (usually political) statement

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 11:43:29 AM »
Great quote from Red Dwarf:

"Broadcast on all known frequencies, and in all known languages, including Welsh."
-Arnold Rimmer

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2006, 12:24:18 PM »
Great quote from Red Dwarf:

"Broadcast on all known frequencies, and in all known languages, including Welsh."
-Arnold Rimmer
[snapback]29885[/snapback]

Does Red Dwarf get shown in the states ?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 01:27:34 PM »
And that would be a TRIPPLE post. There is an edit button, buddy
[snapback]29888[/snapback]
Post.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 01:27:40 PM »
Post.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 01:27:52 PM »
Post.

Who cares? It's RR.

Chard!

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 01:39:10 PM »
Post.

Who cares? It's RR.
[snapback]29898[/snapback]

What's RR?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 01:40:03 PM »
Random Ranting

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »
Post.

Who cares? It's RR.
[snapback]29898[/snapback]

Lol i wanted to say that.. pitty i did not have the guts.
lol btw i love my avatar.. its actually quite cute.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:54:42 PM by Ser Red Ronnet Connington »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »
Does Red Dwarf get shown in the states ?

They used to show it on PBS. Actually, I only remember seeing Red Dwarf marathons on PBS. I was always allowed to stay up an watch marathons when I was little. That's how I saw every episode of the old black and white shows Superman and the Outer Limits.

Now Throbble and I own all 8 seasons of Red Dwarf on DVD and I watch them in between watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Kung Fu Hustle.

Psycho

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
Cute  :P  hahahah
Yeah its nice :D

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 04:55:49 PM »
Because I refuse to fight an unarmed man, I won't argue with you about Shakespeare, Red. If you want to read all about who sounds more like Shakespeare than whom, be my guest: Bill Brysons' The Mother Tongue

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2006, 05:28:23 PM »
Because I refuse to fight an unarmed man, I won't argue with you about Shakespeare, Red. If you want to read all about who sounds more like Shakespeare than whom, be my guest: Bill Brysons' The Mother Tongue

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]29929[/snapback]

Yeah by no means am I a professional linguist, all I am arguing is that I donâ??t understand how anyone today can claim that one nation speaks more like Shakespeare himself spoke, can u explain how anyone Bill came to this conclusion, after all Shakespeare was around  500 + yrs back. Not to be argumentative as Iâ??m no professional as Iâ??ve stated, but how did he come by that conclusion if making claims like that can only be speculation at best. Maybe I donâ??t understand and Iâ??m missing something, so please enlighten me and point out what Iâ??m missing. But to be cheeky this is the first review of his book:  

141 of 169 people found the following review helpful:
 So many factual errors and urban myths, more harm than good, May 29, 2003
Reviewer:   Christopher Culver (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews

1 out of 5 stars rating

Bill Bryson's book MOTHER TONGUE has an admirable goal, to present the evolution and current state of the English language in a simple and intriguing fashion. However, it is a book full of factual errors. On nearly every page this is an urban myth, folk etymology, or misunderstanding of linguistics.

Bryson writes charming travelogues - THE LOST CONTINENT is a book I'd recommend to any foreigner wanting to learn about rural America - but he is an amateur with an interest in wordplay and not a professional linguist. Much of the book appears to have been thrown together from older books on language for the popular reader, especially those of Otto Jespersen, Mario Pei, and Montagu, which themselves have been criticised for errors and oversimplications.

The errors of the book astound from the start any reader with the slighest knowledge of language. Bryson speaks of the Eskimos having a multitude of words for snow, though this urban myth causes linguists to shudder and has been soundly debunked in THE GREAT ESKIMO VOCABULARY HOAX. Bryson goes on to say that Russian has no words for "efficiency", "engagement ring", or "have fun", a preposterous statement that can be proved wrong by any Russian speaker. His knowledge of British history is also shaky, as he asserts that the Saxon invaders eliminated entirely the former Celtic inhabitants, but in reality they merely imposed their language and Britons now remain essentially the same people genetically as 4,000 years ago.

Every reader who speaks another language besides English will find a most annoying mistake in THE MOTHER TONGUE. For me, once a speaker of Esperanto, it was Bryson's ridiculous summary of the language. He begans by mispelling the name of the language's initiator. Then he asserts that the language has no definite articles - it does - but then gives a sample of the language in which this definite article he just denied is used twiced (and mispelled once).

These are only a few examples, the book is filled with multitudes more.

While the birth and growth of the English language is a fascinating subject, it's a shame that it is spoiled in MOTHER TONGUE by an abundance of errors. If you are interested about how English got the way it is today, I'd recommend trying another book, one preferably written by someone with a degree in linguistics.

Psycho

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2006, 05:30:13 PM »
WoW Ser Red... Did you actully typed that all?? :blink:

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2006, 05:31:32 PM »
WoW Ser Red... Did you actully typed that all?? :blink:
[snapback]29945[/snapback]

No beacuse its someone elses review of the book, and from the fact i just added it uve not read it :D

Psycho

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2006, 05:33:57 PM »
I allready Thought :P

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2006, 05:42:55 PM »
KILL KILL

Psycho

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2006, 05:49:12 PM »
Kill what :blink:

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »
For me, once a speaker of Esperanto, it was Bryson's ridiculous summary of the language.
[snapback]29944[/snapback]

The only thing ridiculous about Esperanto is the language itself. I wouldn't pay attention to reviews about books on linguistics by someone who claims to have once spoke Esperanto. I mean, did he forget how to speak it or something?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2006, 06:45:43 PM »
KILL KILL
[snapback]29953[/snapback]
I agree completely.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2006, 07:20:43 PM »
One method to figure out general how the language sounded is to compare poems written in the given era and examine the words the writer thought rhymed. For example, there are rhymed couplets in Elizabethian sonnets that don't rhyme in modern English of any British dialect, but rhymed then (prove/love being one of my favorites). So you take the complete works of Shakespeare and Jonson (and etc.), catalog all the rhymes, and correlate the data until you come up with a general idea of which words sounded the same. It's a nasty piece of work that only the truly mad would contemplate. That's why historical linguistics is a nasty, mean-spirited field filled with extremely dedicated, single-minded pedants who really, really, care about the origins of language.

Myself excluded of course.

-Throbblefoot
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »
One method to figure out general how the language sounded is to compare poems written in the given era and examine the words the writer thought rhymed. For example, there are rhymed couplets in Elizabethian sonnets that don't rhyme in modern English of any British dialect, but rhymed then (prove/love being one of my favorites). So you take the complete works of Shakespeare and Jonson (and etc.), catalog all the rhymes, and correlate the data until you come up with a general idea of which words sounded the same. It's a nasty piece of work that only the truly mad would contemplate. That's why historical linguistics is a nasty, mean-spirited field filled with extremely dedicated, single-minded pedants who really, really, care about the origins of language.

Myself excluded of course.

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]29990[/snapback]

I can naturally rhyme prove/love - but then im celtic - and special :)

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2006, 09:06:11 PM »
I know one other dude who naturally rhymes prove/love:
[attachmentid=833]

-Throbblefoot

[attachment deleted by admin]
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2006, 11:31:06 PM »
- God

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2006, 01:21:13 AM »
Ive looked for the definition of the word 'enmass' in a third dictionary. I cant find it, therefore can u tell me its meaning, or was it misspelled? I dont know if u understand my point... i dont deny the credit shakespeare has recieved, im saying there have been many rumors since the 1800s, claiming shakespeare actually did not write many of his plays, that they were rather written by Sir Francis Bacon or Christopher Marlowe or the Earl of Oxford. Now if by any chance these rumors are true.. then shakespeare obviously does not deserve the title of best english writer in history... and also Elessar i asked how is it possible to know the way shakespeare pronounced his words; the argument was about accents, not about the slight variation of the meaning of words like 'alone'.
[snapback]29880[/snapback]

Now Im not positive, as it has been quite some time since my British Lit class. But the theory on Shakespeare's plagiarism had been proven wrong I had thought. And that it was just a bad rumor that had started because the four writers were friends and were disliked by quite a few people. I may be wrong, but that was my idea on the matter.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?