Author Topic: Visible AoE Spell Targets in PvP  (Read 5154 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Visible AoE Spell Targets in PvP
« on: May 05, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »
In the last of the three NWN2 videos linked to this thread you can see that Obsidian is being true to its Black Isle roots with pretty AoE spell targets that show the caster the exact size of the spells radius.

While I find this a big improvment for the RPG aspect of the game I have to wonder what its impact on caster PvP is going to be. For one thing it will prevent all us wanna-be caster duelers from killing ourselves with Ice Storm.

But does this mean it will open up caster dueling to newbs? Can you imagine GS2 halls being full of aspiring casters shouting "What are good spells for a <insert caster class here>?"

I personally vote for the targeting graphic as I suck at caster PvP and I could use all the help I can get with targeting Ice Storm. The chessboard helps with the targeting but in the heat of duel I often whack myself with an Ice Storm or two.

Ser Red Ronnet Connington

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:59:50 PM »
No we dont need them, as it take some skill factory out the game... but it wont make casters much more powerful.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:00:25 PM by Ser Red Ronnet Connington »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 05:17:16 PM »
No we dont need them, as it take some skill factory out the game... but it wont make casters much more powerful.
[snapback]28716[/snapback]

How exactly does that take some skill out of the game? It only shows you the area a spell effects, which is extremely useful, especially if you're unsure if a teammate is too close or not close enough, and allows for maximum use of a spell.

-Elessar

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:15:21 PM »
Gogo target things woooot!

Offline WitchHunter_Z

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:22:30 PM »
nah, we don't need targeting reticules for AoE spells, was better having to judge it and learning the distance needed to not hit yourself. Hope theres a way to turn it off.

Chard!

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 05:24:40 AM »
I don't think these targeting lights will give casters to much power. I think this is what the original NWN missed. For PvP this could be annoying for some people but in a single player adventures the targeting lights are very usefull to hit a big group of enemies without having to cast it a second time to hit the remaining enemies.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »
in caster duels mages never use icestorm (cos ice resist) so that just make i look cooler wont make casters more powerfull at all, still need the skill and timimg.

but!! i voted i hate being killed by my icestorm using my cleric :P (but isnt much of a difference, anyways no other option to fit my vote in  ;) )

i just cant wait for the game  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 01:16:17 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 03:50:44 PM »
I'm beggining to like these Obsidian guys:

J.E. Sawyer
Lead Designer
Posted: Wednesday, 10 May 2006 12:42PM

I have fought through my bewilderment over people disliking things like weapon trails, projected movement cursors, and area of effect targeting volumes. Whether it will be done at release or in a patch, we will have client options available to disable the following things:

* Projected movement cursors.
* Area of effect targeting volumes.
* Weapon trails excepting AoO and cleave VFX (these remain so you actually know they're being taken).
This thread is at this Link

The original discussion for "AoE targeting volumes" is at this Link

Bioware to Oblivion at E3: "420? Yeah, we know him. He's your problem now!"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 04:02:15 PM by 420 »

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 05:41:31 PM »
I'm beggining to like these Obsidian guys:
Yeah..... me too......