Author Topic: Spells Issue  (Read 7033 times)

Ser Red Ronnet Connington

Spells Issue
« on: April 15, 2006, 04:59:31 AM »
Im hosting the new Knights of Valar (KoV) server in action, its going to be a 9 ac legit server. In the beta testing of the server ive had a problem with dispel's, highlighted in a duel between myself and dante i found i could not dispel his mantle and i was a lvl 36 cleric where as he was a low lvl mage of about 20 or so. I then tested this and i realised i was the only person who has this problem. The host cannot dispel any buff what so ever except with mords disjunction. I also found that i can dispel Aoe spells like silence but any buff like mantle or invisibility i cannot dispel whatsoever unless i have mords. Any help on this would be appreciated. Could it be a setting in one of the Nwn files or does one need to edit the spells in module for hosting a 9 ac mod.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spells Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 07:34:15 AM »
Im hosting the new Knights of Valar (KoV) server in action, its going to be a 9 ac legit server. In the beta testing of the server ive had a problem with dispel's, highlighted in a duel between myself and dante i found i could not dispel his mantle and i was a lvl 36 cleric where as he was a low lvl mage of about 20 or so. I then tested this and i realised i was the only person who has this problem. The host cannot dispel any buff what so ever except with mords disjunction. I also found that i can dispel Aoe spells like silence but any buff like mantle or invisibility i cannot dispel whatsoever unless i have mords. Any help on this would be appreciated. Could it be a setting in one of the Nwn files or does one need to edit the spells in module for hosting a 9 ac mod.
[snapback]28201[/snapback]

Dispels are modified on GodSpire to always dispel when cast as an area effect.
Additionally, the power of dispels is increase significantly, to enable them to be used at epic levels.
This is due to balancing issues with level 40 characters.
More information can be found in the GodSpire journals.

- Talon

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Spells Issue
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 12:39:29 PM »
If you're going to make a godspire like dispel on your server, don't forget the delays. (you find them in the journal too).

-Mel

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Spells Issue
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 01:01:27 PM »
Talon may want to correct me on this but I believe the GodSpire dispel scripts are the ones from SoU. After they fixed a major dispel bug from pre-expansion days but before they altered them to work more like the official D&D rules in HotU.

If that is the case, simply install NWN/SoU in a new directory and export all the dispel scripts.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spells Issue
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 01:40:59 PM »
Talon may want to correct me on this but I believe the GodSpire dispel scripts are the ones from SoU. After they fixed a major dispel bug from pre-expansion days but before they altered them to work more like the official D&D rules in HotU.

If that is the case, simply install NWN/SoU in a new directory and export all the dispel scripts.

[snapback]28213[/snapback]

Unfortunately not.
Even pre-hotu the dispels were capped, its just they didnt work then :)
The timings, however, are the same as pre-hotu so you can get the values of them from there - im not sure what they are off hand. But as for the cap, you will have to decide how that will work yourself. I believe that I just added 20 to the DC, but it was a long time ago, and i cant remember.

Spells Issue
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 02:01:38 PM »
Thx alot for all the help Mel 420 and talon, im in the process of editing the spells but what i dont understand is why would other people on the server dispel buff's easily, yet me using a high lvl caster struggle. Its just odd that in my own modules ive made for items in single player..... i experience the same problem where i cant dispel things unless they are dispelled by mords ... no matter how many attempts i make. But then when i host the mod the same problem occurs but other people dispel buffs easily. Does anyone else have this problem when on a single player mod with no edits done to the spell scripts?

Spells Issue
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 02:13:14 PM »
Lol i can see Mel is posting a reply :) cant wait for it... lol how bored is that ?

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Spells Issue
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »
other people dispel buffs easily.
[snapback]28217[/snapback]
You're 100% sure they are using dispel and not spell breach?

-Mel

Spells Issue
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 02:18:57 PM »
You're 100% sure they are using dispel and not spell breach?

-Mel
[snapback]28219[/snapback]

Yes ive tested with Lesser Dispel, Dispel, Greater Dispelling Lesser Spell Breach, Greater Spell Breach and Mords. And they can dispel me, yet i cannot dispel them,  however i must admit ive not tested the Spell Breach Spells my self... so thx for the advice il see if they work for me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 05:19:05 PM by Ser Red Ronnet Connington »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Spells Issue
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 03:14:21 PM »
Doesn't matter how high your level is.  It matter how high the level of the caster who's buff you're trying to dispell.  That being said, lesser dispell's dc is something like 1d20+caster level up to 5 i think. Therefore it will never dispell anything cast by a level 26+ spell caster. Greater dispell dc is 1d20+15, i think :P.  Mords is a dispell plus a spell breach in one, so that's why it always dispells mantle and buffer and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 06:34:44 PM by Mo »

Spells Issue
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 05:38:40 PM »
Ty all for your feedback, its greatly appreciated. I think by now ive grasped the concept of the problem facing me. I took it for granted that dispels cast as Aoe spells would automatically dispel one buff at a time. But now i see that needs some editing in the spell scripts of the mod. If what i do to fix this issue fails il report back.

Spells Issue
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 06:35:26 AM »
Ty all for your feedback, its greatly appreciated. I think by now ive grasped the concept of the problem facing me. I took it for granted that dispels cast as Aoe spells would automatically dispel one buff at a time. But now i see that needs some editing in the spell scripts of the mod. If what i do to fix this issue fails il report back.
[snapback]28227[/snapback]

Thx alot for the advice... its all fixed now :) so no need to report back about that