Author Topic: Dvd-drive problem with Oblivion  (Read 8004 times)

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dvd-drive problem with Oblivion
« on: March 31, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »
I have posted everywhere on hardware forum, on elder scrolls forum but nothing no one has ever heard of it.... so here's my story again

I bought Oblivion i put it into my dvd drive and that's where the problem is it doesn't autorun the dvd, nor can I explore the cd with going to "my computer" right click on dvd drive and explore nope forget it.
Start===>run===>q:/setup.exe yeah right.
thought it might be bad dvd so me back to store store gives me a new copy nope same problem.
Hear it might be cuz of Starforce protection I remove everything of starforce, problem still the same. :blink:

Now I don't think it's the dvd drive (here comes the freaky part) cuz well basicly it runs EVERYTHING else F.E.A.R. wich is also a dvd-rom game runs just fine!!, dvd movies run great and smooth...
WTF can it be!!!
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »
I'll give you the basic tech support package free of charge:

Does your DVD drive have the most current firmware/drivers installed?

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed?

What brand is your DVD drive (what company made it) and what is the model number?

Does the Oblivion box mention anything regarding DVD format or drives in the system requirements?

Optional question: Have you told your computer you love it recently? (It may be misbehaving because it wants attention)

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:13:39 PM »
I'll give you the basic tech support package free of charge:

Does your DVD drive have the most current firmware/drivers installed?

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed?

What brand is your DVD drive (what company made it) and what is the model number?

Does the Oblivion box mention anything regarding DVD format or drives in the system requirements?

Optional question: Have you told your computer you love it recently? (It may be misbehaving because it wants attention)

[snapback]27820[/snapback]

Firmware/Drivers: no cuz if you wan't to firmware install it and the firmware isn't good or smt you loose your drive for good, now for drivers where would I find drivers for my dvd-drive that isn't so dangerous as firmware

Direct X 9.0c yes!

Brand of dvd drive it's LG
model: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B

yes it does mention that you need to have a 8X dvd drive mine is 16X...

Optional question offcourse i love my pc he is my "Precious"

my question now: Is it so important to have newest firmware installed?? i mean other games and movies run, only oblivion is showing problems, Could it really be the Firmware??
Anyways found this firmware: Firmware it's number 0102
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »
Firmware/Drivers: no cuz if you wan't to firmware install it and the firmware isn't good or smt you loose your drive for good, now for drivers where would I find drivers for my dvd-drive that isn't so dangerous as firmware
[snapback]27822[/snapback]

You should only install official firmware upgrades and drivers from the company that made your drive. It is possible that if a new game doesn't work though all you other ones do that it's a problem with the drivers. Unless the company that made your drive has firmware upgrades then don't worry about them.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 08:58:10 PM »
If your drive can run all other DVDs or CDs but not the Oblivion one then the Oblivion is either defective or your DVD-ROM can't read it.  If you upgraded to newest firmware and still can't read it, get a new dvd-rom.

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 03:45:27 AM »
If your drive can run all other DVDs or CDs but not the Oblivion one then the Oblivion is either defective or your DVD-ROM can't read it.  If you upgraded to newest firmware and still can't read it, get a new dvd-rom.
[snapback]27824[/snapback]

Gonna test it on my friend today and if it works there gonna copy the game to a empty dvd-rom, maybe it can read then.
if not firmware upgrade

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 07:20:29 AM »
the LG cd/dvd drives are kinda screwy i had the same problem with cd drive from LG it runs normal reading all new games and such then like 2 or 3 games didnt read em just cos he didnt want too and then started to read less cds each time >_> so i bough new dvd rw not from lg :P

LG may not be the problem but well :P

maybe ur cd drive its old or something or oblivion surely has shitloads of protections ur lector dont support

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 08:37:04 AM »
the LG cd/dvd drives are kinda screwy i had the same problem with cd drive from LG it runs normal reading all new games and such then like 2 or 3 games didnt read em just cos he didnt want too and then started to read less cds each time >_> so i bough new dvd rw not from lg :P

LG may not be the problem but well :P

maybe ur cd drive its old or something or oblivion surely has shitloads of protections ur lector dont support
[snapback]27831[/snapback]

Oblivion doesn't have any protection software on him....
just came back from my friend, lol game worked....

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »
Solution: firmware update!

downloaded necesary files, made ms dos boot floppy, copied to the floppy downloaded files, booted up in ms dos.
Flashup GDR-81~1.dld 2 /c /p /o
Flashup succesfull, inserted oblivion dvd started auto up  :D

What a fucking stupid program can do....OMG!!!, meh anyways no need for new dvd.