Author Topic: DELETE YOUR YAHOO ACCOUNT  (Read 11883 times)

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
DELETE YOUR YAHOO ACCOUNT
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:24:59 AM »
Yahoo doesn't look very good in light of this news.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:27:03 PM »
Well, since X-Fire seems to be a completely pointless program with no other function than to create another outlet for self-promotion and self-advertisement, I really don't see what the problem is.

I could care less about people's profiles, video game playing history and personal opinions and I find is disturbing that so many people use this program that is created for the sole purpose of advertising those things. We have enough noise and garbage on the internet without adding "meta-noise": programs designed specifically to spread useless, pointless personal data about complete strangers.

In other words, I get free 100MB email from Yahoo, Yahoo is my homepage and I read Yahoo news and use its movie, TV and map guides. On the other hand, X-Fire is a useless program that should never have existed in the first place.

AND, before I hear any of this "the mighty heartless corporation is picking on the tiny, helpless new guys", let me just remind everyone that despite what the US Government likes to say in press releases, monopolistic business practices are indeed allowed to flourish and only when the US Governement can make a profit will it interfere in that corporation's business policies.

Don't be fooled, we do not live in a Democracy, we live in a country run by Capitalism and people who think Capitalism isn't a form of government haven't been paying very close attention to the way the US Government (or any other "Democracy" for that matter) is actually run.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:29:59 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 01:58:36 PM »
I get free 100MB email from Yahoo,

[snapback]26724[/snapback]

Ha

Gmail pwns you with 2.5GB Free email.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 02:29:58 PM »
Well, since X-Fire seems to be a completely pointless program with no other function than to create another outlet for self-promotion and self-advertisement, I really don't see what the problem is.

I could care less about people's profiles, video game playing history and personal opinions and I find is disturbing that so many people use this program that is created for the sole purpose of advertising those things. We have enough noise and garbage on the internet without adding "meta-noise": programs designed specifically to spread useless, pointless personal data about complete strangers.

In other words, I get free 100MB email from Yahoo, Yahoo is my homepage and I read Yahoo news and use its movie, TV and map guides. On the other hand, X-Fire is a useless program that should never have existed in the first place.

AND, before I hear any of this "the mighty heartless corporation is picking on the tiny, helpless new guys", let me just remind everyone that despite what the US Government likes to say in press releases, monopolistic business practices are indeed allowed to flourish and only when the US Governement can make a profit will it interfere in that corporation's business policies.

Don't be fooled, we do not live in a Democracy, we live in a country run by Capitalism and people who think Capitalism isn't a form of government haven't been paying very close attention to the way the US Government (or any other "Democracy" for that matter) is actually run.

I agree with that totally. Xfire programs are useless, I dont care about the little xfire thing you shove in your sig telling me how many hrs. u've been playing, wtf is the point of that? I would much rather check my my email everyday that never gets full, and use my handy dandy yahoo toolbar that lets me create 2 custom buttons that I use daily. Moreover, why do you think I use MSN Messenger, but only use my Yahoo email? Yahoo mail is far better, ive never gotten full, and I probably never will. But MSN's Messenger is far better, hence why I use that. Heck, I dont even care for messengers, but they come in handy, well I dont see any of Xfires programs being useful to me daily... thats all I can say about that.

Peanuts.

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 05:29:40 PM »
I'd rather get a AIM account for free IM and Mail. But AOL is suckeh!

Now for randomness! Go virgindata! [pictures for advertisement inserted here... with flashing pictures.]

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline Knuckles

• ICQ Messenger - 34
    • MSN Messenger - none
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Sol megahellball
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stitch
    • View Profile
    • http://experiment777sol.deviantart.com/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 06:44:32 PM »

I agree with that totally. Xfire programs are useless, I dont care about the little xfire thing you shove in your sig telling me how many hrs. u've been playing, wtf is the point of that? I would much rather check my my email everyday that never gets full, and use my handy dandy yahoo toolbar that lets me create 2 custom buttons that I use daily. Moreover, why do you think I use MSN Messenger, but only use my Yahoo email? Yahoo mail is far better, ive never gotten full, and I probably never will. But MSN's Messenger is far better, hence why I use that. Heck, I dont even care for messengers, but they come in handy, well I dont see any of Xfires programs being useful to me daily... thats all I can say about that.

Peanuts.
[snapback]26726[/snapback]

well I don't know much about it but what I do know from reading the post that it just tells you how many hours you play games. I see some on here like
59 hours for NWN this week over 200 hours from guild wars or whatever game
look that just tells ppl that your a gamer like me but I don't sit at my computer for hours on end.
there fun yes I know but do something else for a bit like

read a fav book or mag
read the paper or watch something on tv.
take a nice long walk around the park.
etc etc etc etc....
and there's nothing wrong with yahoo so I don't know why you even posted this topic.
O'hana means Family, Family means no get left behind or Frogotten:)

Tails+Cosmo Forever too ^_^

"If I should visit the moon, well, i'll dance on a moonbeam, and then, I will make a wish on a star and i'll wish I was home once again. Though i'd like to look down at the Earth from above, I would miss all the places and people I love. So although I may go, i'll be cominghome soon. 'Cause I don't want to live on the moon."

626+624 forever ^^

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 07:41:58 PM »
*sigh* i use Xfire to find out who's online because most of the peeps i know play other games that i do have plus being able to chat with someone while playing a game is extremely useful....especially when they want to join the same server

as for toolbars...that shits completely useless and only ties up system resources :rolleyes:

as for maps...LOL...don't make me laugh Streets & Trips > Yahoo Maps (which i got for free from work)

but i guess it's true...ppl are afraid of change....
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 08:19:52 PM »
as for maps...LOL...don't make me laugh Streets & Trips > Yahoo Maps (which i got for free from work)

but i guess it's true...ppl are afraid of change....
[snapback]26740[/snapback]

So, if I am to understand you correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong) despite the fact that the only Yahoo resource, of the entire list I posted, that you think is inferior is the map tool and, due to this fact, you are suggesting that everyone deletes their Yahoo accounts? I have to say, it's a pretty feeble argument.

Also, specifically regarding the "afraid of change" part, are you saying that we should "change" from Yahoo to X-Fire? I just don't see the logic in this at all, they are not comparable services.

If you mean that continuing to use Yahoo constitutes some sort of nostalgic tie to stagnant services, I would remind you that Yahoo has upgraded its email and changed its search engine quite a few times over the years. Yahoo is hardly out-of-date.

Regarding the Yahoo Maps (which you seemed to have singled out) I have compared it to www.mapquest.com and they are basically the same. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I really care for something "better" if what I am using is simple, accurate and fast. Maybe the site you mention is popular with "map enthusiasts" but I wouldn't know anything about that crowd.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 08:39:47 PM »
i said it on GodSpire and i'll say it here. khad, you're blowing this waaay out of proportion.

1.  stop babbling
2.  stop using your stupid argument against yahoo, no one cares
3.  don't tell people what to do

-Elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »
3.  don't tell people what to do
[snapback]26742[/snapback]

Wait, this is one of those mind tricks right? Like if I say, "Everything I say is a lie."

« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 09:36:35 PM by 420 »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 09:45:45 PM »
Regardless of xfire's claim, it looks like there is a very solid legal argument behind the suit: technology you invent for your employer belongs to your employer, not to you.  
Check out the Game Spot article
For those of you too lazy to read the link, two telling quotes:

Gottlieb and Kirmse were employed by Yahoo! when they developed certain technologies for a game-specific variation on Yahoo!'s popular Yahoo! Messenger.
and
Key to the complaint is Chris Kirmse, now Xfire's vice president of engineering. Yahoo! claims that "after Kirmse joined defendant [Xfire], defendant began to develop, test, and offer instant messenger 'client'
If you steal a laptop from your office, you're stealing technology. If you steal a design you created on company time, you're stealing technology.

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 11:07:46 PM »
Ha

Gmail pwns you with 2.5GB Free email.
[snapback]26725[/snapback]
I dont feel like reading all this, but Mo is correct. Gmail pwns. If anyone wants a gmail invite PM me your current address and ill send you an invite.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 12:35:28 AM »
Regardless of xfire's claim, it looks like there is a very solid legal argument behind the suit: technology you invent for your employer belongs to your employer, not to you. 
Check out the Game Spot article
For those of you too lazy to read the link, two telling quotes:
and

If you steal a laptop from your office, you're stealing technology. If you steal a design you created on company time, you're stealing technology.

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]26747[/snapback]

oooooooooh Xfire peeps were former employees of Yahoo...Red Alert!

They are going to be OWNED.  That's a twist I didn't know, now the lawsuite makes sense.  Trade secrets are very sensitive obviously, and Yahoo must have extensive clauses in they employment contracts to protect all their resources.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 04:31:07 AM »
i said it on GodSpire and i'll say it here. khad, you're blowing this waaay out of proportion.

1.  stop babbling
2.  stop using your stupid argument against yahoo, no one cares
3.  don't tell people what to do
-Elessar
[snapback]26742[/snapback]
LMAO, so you're telling him not to tell him what to do, I think 420 is right, that is most definately a mind trick of some sort.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 09:31:39 AM »
Wait, this is one of those mind tricks right? Like if I say, "Everything I say is a lie."

[snapback]26746[/snapback]

LMAO, so you're telling him not to tell him what to do, I think 420 is right, that is most definately a mind trick of some sort.
[snapback]26758[/snapback]

lol lemme rephrase:

To Khadgar:
1. stop babbling
2. stop using your stupid argument against yahoo, no one cares
3. don't tell people what to do

^^ Everyone else can babble and be bossy all they want. : )

-Elessar

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 06:05:29 PM »
lol lemme rephrase:

To Khadgar:
1. stop babbling
2. stop using your stupid argument against yahoo, no one cares
3. don't tell people what to do

^^ Everyone else can babble and be bossy all they want. : )
-Elessar
[snapback]26762[/snapback]
That's kinda mean though, to like target people like that. Telling one person they can do whatever they want and then tell another they cant do something that the others can do.

On the other hand, I think this would be more appropriate in Random Ranting, along with his other topic about his eyes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 06:06:41 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Knuckles

• ICQ Messenger - 34
    • MSN Messenger - none
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Sol megahellball
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stitch
    • View Profile
    • http://experiment777sol.deviantart.com/
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 09:19:15 PM »
I argee with hell this should of started in RR not in the news area.
O'hana means Family, Family means no get left behind or Frogotten:)

Tails+Cosmo Forever too ^_^

"If I should visit the moon, well, i'll dance on a moonbeam, and then, I will make a wish on a star and i'll wish I was home once again. Though i'd like to look down at the Earth from above, I would miss all the places and people I love. So although I may go, i'll be cominghome soon. 'Cause I don't want to live on the moon."

626+624 forever ^^

Offline maverick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2005, 07:14:51 PM »
ok the whole lawsuit isnt clear xfire doesnt tell u exactily what its being suid for but from what info iv collected the ppl at xfire were emploies of yahoo and xfire is using "stuff" from yahoo to do "stuff" with xfire.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »
Can't... hold... it... in....!!!!!!!1!!!!11!!!!!1!!

GO YAHOO!   GO YAHOO!   GO YAHOO!   GO YAHOO!   GO YAHOO!

Ok... that about covers it... anything else I need to explain in such vivid and extreme detail such as the above? Ok good... that was alot of work yaknow...

P.S. Oh so very much, do I love butterflies.

Offline CABAZON

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 07:24:34 PM »
ok the whole lawsuit isnt clear xfire doesnt tell u exactily what its being suid for but from what info iv collected the ppl at xfire were emploies of yahoo and xfire is using "stuff" from yahoo to do "stuff" with xfire.
[snapback]26784[/snapback]

Oh, thank you for translating all that nonsensical garbage English that's already been posted into broken english with misspellings and the use of "stuff" to define two things in one sentence.  I understand it so much better now.

I'm using the power rangers to steal bandwidth from 10,000 people in florida.

Offline maverick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 10:32:49 PM »
i love the way i type and never check for spelling and cab is that suppose to be an insult or a compliment o.O

Offline CleTus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 10:58:21 PM »
nonsensical
[snapback]26808[/snapback]

That reminds me - my favorite weapon is the dictionary.

:o
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:59:01 PM by CleTus »
GIT-R-DONE!

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.