Author Topic: What changes should we have on LM?  (Read 16244 times)

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
What changes should we have on LM?
« on: April 20, 2005, 07:30:36 PM »
Hello, what changes should we do to lm to make it a better place? If you are going to say somebodyâ??s name then PM it to me, don't post it. Also, donâ??t say things like an arcade.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 07:37:11 PM by Batman »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 07:42:43 PM »
Hello, what changes should we do to lm to make it a better place? If you are going to say somebodyâ??s name then PM it to me, don't post it. Also, donâ??t say things like an arcade.
[snapback]22042[/snapback]
I like everything the way it is except, I would'nt mind having the skins back... I liked Gothic Labyrnth. =D

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 07:57:40 PM »
there are a few problems with having a lot of skins like we did before, they are too hard to manage, mo and I have had to fix problems in the skinsets countless times... if something goes wrong in one of the skins we wont kknow and you wont be able to complain about it because it'll be set as your defualt skin and you wouldnt be able to post or veiw anything if the skin was broken

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 08:18:38 PM »
Also, donâ??t say things like an arcade.
[snapback]22042[/snapback]
:(

more smilies would be nice

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 09:07:02 PM »
Try what type of smilies you would like to see. I'd be happy to see a better '-' or ^-^ or some ._. smilies... And a kirby one! (And a kirby gangster one would be cool!)

I would be crazy if IPB did emotes... I guess I'll just have to make one manually. *Pokes Batman*

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 01:45:50 AM »
How about real-time updates containing GodSpire info? # of people on, top ten duelers (as Belog reports it), currently banned players and their ban time remaining, some sort of team duel statistics and various other interesting things.

There could even be a "newb threat level" where sents can change from green (Everything's cool!), to yellow (I could use a hand!), to red (It's chaos, I need a DM!) then any DMs/Sents checking the site can log in and take care of it. The randomer thread works better for long-term problem players but isn't really effective for asking for immediate assistance.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:54:20 AM »
How about real-time updates containing GodSpire info? # of people on, top ten duelers (as Belog reports it), currently banned players and their ban time remaining, some sort of team duel statistics and various other interesting things.

There could even be a "newb threat level" where sents can change from green (Everything's cool!), to yellow (I could use a hand!), to red (It's chaos, I need a DM!) then any DMs/Sents checking the site can log in and take care of it. The randomer thread works better for long-term problem players but isn't really effective for asking for immediate assistance.

[snapback]22072[/snapback]

:blink:

I'd love LM to serve iced cappucinos !

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 09:41:05 AM »
is this the concept of PMs?
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 10:00:01 AM »
*applauds* I like 420's ideas.

colored clan member names would be cool

Doraith Members = Green
Marauders =...Red or black?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 10:00:54 AM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 12:56:20 PM »
there are a few problems with having a lot of skins like we did before, they are too hard to manage, mo and I have had to fix problems in the skinsets countless times... if something goes wrong in one of the skins we wont kknow and you wont be able to complain about it because it'll be set as your defualt skin and you wouldnt be able to post or veiw anything if the skin was broken
[snapback]22047[/snapback]
What problems? A skin is something simple and I don't see ibp-mods in here that could make problems...

And some smilies are missing.

@420
Nice idea's. And perfectly possible now the Lm site runs on the same host as the GodSpire nwserver. It also could show when there are no sents. That situation seems me the most important.

@Anheg
Clan colors can be done with usergroups. The board it's software has those. But it's best to test it a bit for practical problems. I often can't remeber how evrything exactly works for a specific bulletin board. There're so many of them.

-Mel

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 02:16:51 PM »
*applauds* I like 420's ideas.

colored clan member names would be cool

Doraith Members = Green
Marauders =...Red or black?
[snapback]22095[/snapback]

Sure, I could do that, i'll get working on it right now, anheg, I just need you to post the member names from the people of doriath that are registerd here.. get it?

ex.
 Anheg
Nth281
ect...
I don't know who the doriath members are and I'm sure if i looked at the doriath roaster some of the names would be different from their registerd names

now for the maurders roaster I know who most of them are so i'll be able to do that
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 02:26:43 PM by Batman »

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 02:22:43 PM »
What problems? A skin is something simple and I don't see ibp-mods in here that could make problems...

-Mel
[snapback]22114[/snapback]

Lol, we've had a lot of problems with the skins, if you look at the former skins we have then on half of them the buttons are missing... also, lets say I wanted to display a message at the top of the board, like "Weclome to LuicdMagic.com" it would take at least an hour to do it to every skin, it would take a few min to do it to the main one... the list of reasons goes on, I'm sure you could think of a lot of downs having more skins... + the default ipb skin (this one) does not hurt your eyes and it matches the colours of the new front page we're working on

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 02:24:10 PM »

I'll speak to mo about these, all of your ideas seam great

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 02:31:31 PM »
I will make a list of all the Doriath members names + LM registered names.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 02:43:46 PM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 03:38:01 PM »
ok, ANHEG, your request is done

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 04:00:54 PM »
:blink:

I'd love LM to serve iced cappucinos !
[snapback]22074[/snapback]
=D *Hands Mo an Iced Cappucino* Here ya go Mo, glad to be of service... again =).

Yar, the default skin doesn't bother me, I just liked the gothic one =D. As for 420's ideas... Rock on man!

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 04:01:19 PM »
Lol, we've had a lot of problems with the skins, if you look at the former skins we have then on half of them the buttons are missing... also, lets say I wanted to display a message at the top of the board, like "Weclome to LuicdMagic.com" it would take at least an hour to do it to every skin, it would take a few min to do it to the main one... the list of reasons goes on, I'm sure you could think of a lot of downs having more skins... + the default ipb skin (this one) does not hurt your eyes and it matches the colours of the new front page we're working on
[snapback]22128[/snapback]
I agree that it's more work, adding that message on all skins would take me 1-5 minutes.  I disagree with evrything else in your post.

I'm not going to argue about it. That would be pointless anyway.

(don't forget the smilies, some are missing)

-Mel

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 04:27:15 PM »

Here's the problem with real-time updates.  There's no out of the box way to know when a player leaves the server. onClientLeave event should be thrown in the garbages cause it's more or less useless.  So unless you want to use a heatbeat script that keeps track of everyone on (which is a bad idea), or some other script that cycles through the whole player list every once in a while,  this aint' gonna happen.  I'd have done this a long time ago and kept track of exactly how long players have spent online.

Sents don't need DM assistance.  Otherwise I'll just get rid of all the sents.
I already have a page that lists banned players, should I made this page accessable to everyone?

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 04:41:04 PM »
I agree that it's more work, adding that message on all skins would take me 1-5 minutes.  I disagree with evrything else in your post.

I'm not going to argue about it. That would be pointless anyway.

(don't forget the smilies, some are missing)

-Mel
[snapback]22150[/snapback]

well,  you have some super duper way of making it so it takes effect on every skin I don't.. anywyas, ok lets not argue

I'm adding smilies right now

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 05:06:41 PM »
Lol, we've had a lot of problems with the skins, if you look at the former skins we have then on half of them the buttons are missing...

Very possible, but not likely. It is more likely that you are not uploading correctly.

also, lets say I wanted to display a message at the top of the board, like "Weclome to LuicdMagic.com" it would take at least an hour to do it to every skin, it would take a few min to do it to the main one...

An hour? If it is that difficult, create a new language variable with "welcome_message", add it to all of the skins, and you can change it in one file as much as you want. If you wanted to take it a step further, you could create a text field in the admin CP for it.

the list of reasons goes on, I'm sure you could think of a lot of downs having more skins... + the default ipb skin (this one) does not hurt your eyes and it matches the colours of the new front page we're working on

You could always make skins for the front page, but I doubt you would do that. And as for the fact that this skin is easy on the eyes, I completely agree, but some people (not me, but in my experience I have had many people complain) prefer darker colors. If 700/800 people leave it as the default, at least the remaining 100 can browse the website the way they want.

Sorry to intrude, I was just passing by.

/Goes back into the shadows

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 05:16:11 PM »
Very possible, but not likely. It is more likely that you are not uploading correctly.
An hour? If it is that difficult, create a new language variable with "welcome_message", add it to all of the skins, and you can change it in one file as much as you want. If you wanted to take it a step further, you could create a text field in the admin CP for it.
You could always make skins for the front page, but I doubt you would do that. And as for the fact that this skin is easy on the eyes, I completely agree, but some people (not me, but in my experience I have had many people complain) prefer darker colors. If 700/800 people leave it as the default, at least the remaining 100 can browse the website the way they want.

Sorry to intrude, I was just passing by.

/Goes back into the shadows
[snapback]22158[/snapback]

Well, I'm not the one who added them, I don't know where to find them either to re-add the images...
I was exgerateing, maybe 15 min, but I update messages on the  board a lot, a couple times every week, so it would get somewhat annoying

ok, I will add a dark skin once I find a good one, that way there would be no reason for anybody to complain about the skins

don't worey, you were not intrudeing

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 05:28:52 PM »
:crazy:

I added a few Smilies, to add them you just click "Show All"

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 05:40:04 PM »
a lot of people have requested that you have to be loged in to post, you can't post at guest

- just made it so guests can't post, they can only view the board

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 06:28:45 PM »
I'd have done this a long time ago and kept track of exactly how long players have spent online.
[snapback]22155[/snapback]

Ooo, you should have told me Mo, I know a workaround for that! OnClientLeave can retrieve local variables that were set on the leaving client's avatar or character object.

If you set local variables for the CD-Key, Ip Address and account name on the player in OnClientEnter, you can retrieve those variables from the player in OnClientLeave.

I use this method to track players who leave Throbbleserv during a duel.

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 06:29:34 PM »
awesome thx for the smilies!

:dance:

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 06:34:15 PM »
:stinker: What the heck is THAT? :focus: And this? *Sigh*

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »
well, y ou guys wanted smilies so you got them :P

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 07:37:02 PM »
Ooo, you should have told me Mo, I know a workaround for that! OnClientLeave can retrieve local variables that were set on the leaving client's avatar or character object.

If you set local variables for the CD-Key, Ip Address and account name on the player in OnClientEnter, you can retrieve those variables from the player in OnClientLeave.

I use this method to track players who leave Throbbleserv during a duel.

[snapback]22167[/snapback]

hmm are you sure?
I could have sworn I've tried that...but the character object == OBJECT_INVALID once any code in OnClientLeave is run.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 08:37:04 PM »
hmm are you sure?
I could have sworn I've tried that...but the character object == OBJECT_INVALID once any code in OnClientLeave is run.
[snapback]22179[/snapback]

Check out the "Known Bugs" and the code below: NWN Lexicon

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 09:29:41 PM »
Check out the "Known Bugs" and the code below: NWN Lexicon

[snapback]22184[/snapback]

Good lord!
 :mega_shok:

*cries*  why didn't i know this 2 months ago....

Woot...time to track everyones playing time heheheh.

*cries*