Author Topic: Questions!!!  (Read 10300 times)

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Questions!!!
« on: April 12, 2005, 03:25:33 PM »
Okay, I'm going to get GW when it comes out. (Hurray!)

But, I need to know the following:

1) The game (per month) is free, but from what I remember you have to pay for updates. Is this true?

2) How are servers set up? Is it only one huge server, a couple of individual servers (server 1, 2, 3, etc), Region divided (AKA USA server, UK server but not region *restricted*), or player-made servers?

3) What do I get if I reserve the game at EB games? What are the other goodies you can get at other stores?

4) What are the upsides and downsides of the classes (and races)?

5) Is there anything else I should know?

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Questions!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 03:45:53 PM »
Okay, I'm going to get GW when it comes out. (Hurray!)

But, I need to know the following:

1) The game (per month) is free, but from what I remember you have to pay for updates. Is this true?
[snapback]21312[/snapback]

Not as far as I know, but ask 420 or someone else, just in case.

2) How are servers set up? Is it only one huge server, a couple of individual servers (server 1, 2, 3, etc), Region divided (AKA USA server, UK server but not region *restricted*), or player-made servers?

It's set up like this. In cities like Ascalon and Foibles Fair(and a lot of other places too), everyone is in one place(but there are multiple districts), but when you go off adventuring outside of those places, it is private for you and your team-mates. So yeah, I guess its one big server

3) What do I get if I reserve the game at EB games? What are the other goodies you can get at other stores?

Reserving at certain places allows for you to get a free unique item for one of your characters, and different places get you different unique items; however, I am not able to find what items come from where at the moment.

4) What are the upsides and downsides of the classes (and races)?

Currently there is only the human race, but they say you might be able to choose other races in the future. If you want to know about different classes I suggest you take this link and look around.

5) Is there anything else I should know?

~Celestial

It might be helpful for you to know that controls are similar in some ways to NWN controls, but otherwise you'll have to ask someone else. :P

-Lord Elessar

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 04:36:18 PM »
1) Updates, as in patches will be free. Arenanet plans to make it's money by releasing expansion packs regularly. (Like Diablo 2 should have done!)

2) I believe there are 2 servers, the Korean one and the one for everyone else. Both servers share the some of the same dueling areas so they aren't completely separate.

3) http://www.guildwars.com/products/preorder-items.html

4) Standard upside/downsides like warrior has high hp but low mp (magic points), while caster classes are opposite. Everyone gets 2 classes and your primary class determines what type of armor you can wear (rangers get protection from elemental damage, warriors protection from physical damage, Elementalists get to choose armor that protects against a single element while enhancing that casters skills in that element, etc.)

5) While you can collect every skill for both classes, when you adventure/duel you must choose only 8 of those skills to use. Guild Wars is built so that you can reach maximum level (20), get the armor/weapons you want and a large number of skills fairly quickly. This is because your level/equipment doesn't matter so much as your combination of skills and team tactics.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 04:37:54 PM by 420 »

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:10:10 PM »
Okay, knowing these, I have more questions...

6) When is the game available? I believe it was april 27th that someone told me, want to make sure.

7) Are the reserve items all that great or is it fairly easy to get better items?

8) What are the limits to characters? None?

9) Obviously if I'm going to reserve it, I'm going to get it at EB games and therefore will have a bow; What is a good combination for ranger (Monk/Elementalist/Mesmer/etc.), and the upsides for that combo?

*EDIT* 10) Can someone post a screenshot including the character, the HUD, and maybe a cool looking monster if you want. ^-^

~Celestial
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 06:13:54 PM by Celestial1 »
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 06:58:30 PM »
6) "Guild Wars will be available in North America and Europe on April 28, 2005. Dates for release in other parts of the world will be forthcoming." - guildwars.com

7) No one has seen the reserve items, they will be released with the full game. However, since the items are only a minor part of a character/team build I doubt they will be all that powerful. Probably just unique graphics or something.

8) In the beta: Max Level = 20, max Attribute = 12. Attributes affect the power of the skills they are associated with. By level 20 you can max 2 attributes and have a couple points left over. If you decide to change skills you get plenty of opportunity to change your attributes around.

9) My favorite is a Ranger/Elementalist or Elementalist/Ranger, as long as you have some tanks between you and the enemy you can rain down fire, arrows and even a vicious animal companion on groups of enemies. I hear Warrior/Ranger is good to, bow gets in a few good shots long range, then when the enemy closes in you whip out a sword and shield and go toe to toe with your animal by your side!

10) The HUD has been changed drastically for the upcomming Beta, no idea how it will look in-game though. Here are a few screen shots:

[attachmentid=129]
This is a picture of the final minutes of the last beta, a horde of little girls are raining death and fire on everyone.

[attachmentid=131]
This is a picture of one of the creatures, you can see parts of the HUD along the border.

[attachmentid=130]
This is a picture of dead 420 next to the creature's foot.

[attachmentid=132]
A show of the snow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 07:05:13 PM »
By number 8 I mean the limits of how many characters you can have at one time. Like can you have 100+ characters or just 5 or so?

I figured it would be unlimited as far as anyone cared to find out, but I again figured I should ask!

~Celestial

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
Questions!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 07:53:54 PM »
unfortunately u can only have 4 characters per account (which kinda sucks!) but its been hinted at that they might increase that number in up comming expansions.

omg freaking out only 3 days till beta!

Offline BzK

• ICQ Messenger - 122117799
    • MSN Messenger - flatleymike@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LoRdOfTeHDaNcE
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bzk04
    • View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 08:29:51 PM »
unfortunately u can only have 4 characters per account (which kinda sucks!) but its been hinted at that they might increase that number in up comming expansions.

omg freaking out only 3 days till beta!
[snapback]21325[/snapback]

yeah the wait sucks.  :lol:

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 09:08:04 PM »
You can delete characters once they are made, right? If not that REALLY sucks.

~Celestial

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 09:10:36 PM »
You can delete characters once they are made, right? If not that REALLY sucks.

~Celestial
[snapback]21328[/snapback]

Yes you can, I had to delete my duler 4 times before I got the build right.

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 07:00:44 AM »
hmm I get that gem thingy. See you all at the beta I guess :D

I just wanna ask, if I make a guild in the beta, will I still have it after the beta? or is that when the game goes live and everything starts :)
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 12:25:29 PM »
Well, I'm going to be reserving GW as soon as possible (before the next beta so I can participate!!! Whoo hoo!)

You'll probably either find me on a character with the name Celest, Celestial, or possibly Angel if I make a female character.

I believe these are the only questions I have left:

11) What time does the beta officially start, and how do I join in?

12) How is attacking and spell casting set up? Is it just random on how fast you can attack and spell casting has a set time of how long it takes to cast?

13) This just happened to pop into my head: Will the characters and items and such stay with you after the beta is over and the game is released?

14) What is your opinion on how freaking cool the game is? :P

~Celestial

Offline fireknight40

• MSN Messenger - fireknight40@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fireknight40
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - briortheforesaken
    • View Profile
    • http://members.dslextreme.com/users/fierynight3/Iceys%20Hints%20and%20Tips.htm
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
11) What time does the beta officially start, and how do I join in?

12) How is attacking and spell casting set up? Is it just random on how fast you can attack and spell casting has a set time of how long it takes to cast?

13) This just happened to pop into my head: Will the characters and items and such stay with you after the beta is over and the game is released?

14) What is your opinion on how freaking cool the game is? :P

~Celestial
[snapback]21373[/snapback]
11)12:01 Friday morning
12) Click once to attack a creature until dead and spells have to be put in your bar before a mission so 1-5
13)I don't know, but I don't think so.
14)It's great! I really enjoy playing it. Hope to see you in the beta weekend. :P

Lord of Doriath[/span]
[span style=\'color:blue\']Sentinel of GodSpire[/color]

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 12:54:51 PM »
Blood Angel: You guild name will be reserved for you if you make it in the Beta, but you will have to remake the guild in the full version.

Cel:

11) 4/15/05 12:01 AM PST, download the game client here and create an account.

12) Attacking is done at a specific speed but casting has different times depending on the power of the spell. Spells also have a recharge time in addition to their casting time so you can't spam them. There are other spells that can reduce the recharge time and mana cost and the Mesmer class has the Fast Cast attribute that increases the speed at which he casts.

13) Everything will be reset after the Beta, you guild and character names will be reserved for your account however so you won't have to worry about trying to get the same names again.

14) Well, I'm a big Diablo 2 fan and it is obvious this was made by the creators of Diablo/Battle.net, so it is a hell of a lot of fun.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Questions!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 05:19:02 PM »
[snapback]21373[/snapback]

No one has mentioned this little tidbit yet. you start by attacking but as soon as you are locked onto the target for attacking you can click your spells and cast. it's not like nwn where a little target thingy comes up when you click on the spell

-Elessar

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
Questions!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 05:35:55 PM »
13) Everything will be reset after the Beta, you guild and character names will be reserved for your account however so you won't have to worry about trying to get the same names again.
im not so sure about being able to keep your guild name, all that arenanet said was that your char name would be reserved

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 08:15:42 PM »
Awesome. Reserved the game, expect to see me in the beta tomorrow.

Most likely under Celest, obviously. If I make a female it will have a name possibly like "Angel" or something. Can't wait.

~Celestial

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 09:22:04 AM »
Name: Celesti Incar

I only got one profession at character creation--did I miss something or do I get it later on?

Does it matter which district you're in to find other players on your buddy list?

~Celestial

Offline BzK

• ICQ Messenger - 122117799
    • MSN Messenger - flatleymike@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LoRdOfTeHDaNcE
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bzk04
    • View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 10:51:40 AM »

I only got one profession at character creation--did I miss something or do I get it later on?

Does it matter which district you're in to find other players on your buddy list?

~Celestial
[snapback]21569[/snapback]

you get one later on. a quest =P

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 11:43:10 AM »
I can't play this, too hard without a manual to tell me te bonuses of everything and I'm too caught up in WoW atm..... so here's a question, who wants a guest pass?

*not gonna bother, here whoever gets it first takes it
Buddy Pass: 11L7H-732C6-NQ4KQ-8F8B7-2H8KQ
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 11:45:47 AM by Blood Angel »
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 12:33:34 PM »

~Celestial
[snapback]21569[/snapback]

Doesn't matter what district you're in. The beginning of the game you start with one class and do a bunch of quests that allow you to try out all the other classes and decide which one you want to take as secondary.

I'm a bit busy this morning, I'll be on in a couple hours.

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 02:35:49 PM »
Good then, I'll be sure to be rushing to find 420 and Throbble when I can get on. :ph34r:

~Celestial

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 05:45:58 PM »
what's the required viedo card specs for this game?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Questions!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 06:34:52 PM »
what's the required viedo card specs for this game?
[snapback]22162[/snapback]

From the bottom of the pre-order box:

Minimum
ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM

Recommended
STI Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti Series Video Card with 64MB of VRAM

Recommends a 2-generation-old card... I think most of us are safe.