Author Topic: Disarm:  (Read 12091 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:04:04 PM »
I have only seen one other person use disarm at my level. I have no problems with it. Mainly because I usually have high disciplined characters. Now two of my fighters have it and my TSin' SD (hey if ya go cheap go all the way).
I love it for several reasons. The main one is, there is nothing funnier than having a randomer dropping his weapon and try to beat ya with fists.
Second in a duel I think it adds a bit of interest. Rather than exploiting the fact that they can't withhold against knockdown just pop out their sword and see how prepared they are for it. Again most of my fighter classes have more than one weapon in the quickslots so I know I'm prepared.

Unfortunately very few people find the humor in it and more often than not they call me names. As I see it, it is better to be disarmed than to be knockdown. What's funny is they ignore the fact that I need something like 13+ int. so those points I could be adding to another ability which would imporve ab/ac whatever.

What's the verdict?

Offline AngelsWings

• MSN Messenger - angelswings9@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 02:21:19 PM »
The disarm problem dont exist....  
All meele char have a hight discipline, but if u are not sure to resist, bring a copy of your weapon in your invenctory....... :lol:  (my meele have 5-6 rapiers  :P  and discipline 98)
i didnt take this feat for this reason

.....but.....1 moment.....i can use it against mages.....i think they will lose a bit of spell slot bonus    :rolleyes:  
Angel - Amra [/span]
[span style=\'color:orange\']�?�§�?�§TSoGS�?�§�?�§

-Melisa: "mm"

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Disarm:
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 02:56:33 PM »
I have only seen one other person use disarm at my level. I have no problems with it. Mainly because I usually have high disciplined characters. Now two of my fighters have it and my TSin' SD (hey if ya go cheap go all the way).
I love it for several reasons. The main one is, there is nothing funnier than having a randomer dropping his weapon and try to beat ya with fists.
Second in a duel I think it adds a bit of interest. Rather than exploiting the fact that they can't withhold against knockdown just pop out their sword and see how prepared they are for it. Again most of my fighter classes have more than one weapon in the quickslots so I know I'm prepared.

Unfortunately very few people find the humor in it and more often than not they call me names. As I see it, it is better to be disarmed than to be knockdown. What's funny is they ignore the fact that I need something like 13+ int. so those points I could be adding to another ability which would imporve ab/ac whatever.

What's the verdict?
I think that you should use knockdown. The amount of hits you can score afther a sucsesfull knockdown can kill someone. The disarm can make them loos their only weapon. And Belog is a thief and he's not alone. This can make huge problems.
In case they have other weapons ready it's pointless to use disarm instead of knockdown, in case they don't have other weapons it's pointless because the duel just ends afhter a disarm. Don't use somthing if it disables the other 100% for the rest of the duel, it's cheap. And against a mage it won't give much, they have more than enough spells to kill, a knockdown would make huge damage and keep them from attacking.

So knockdown is better in all cases and you don't need that +13INT. Why use disarm?

Feel free to disarm anyone who randoms you, I'll love to see it :D

(the bold 'you' is because you don't may random randomers, duh, you don't want to be one yourself I guess)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 04:30:39 PM »
Unlike Improved Knockdown, Disarm applies a -4 ab penalty to atatck.  So you better have very high ab if you want to use it.

Unless you use a large weapon (two handed) against someone using a small (ie. kukris) weapon then I believe you will recieve +4 to ab.

Offline Lord_Aiden

• MSN Messenger - DJ_LiquidIce@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - acp3983
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 04:57:20 PM »
I see no problem with disarm at all, I think it's a valuable tool if you can get it to function properly.  I've only successfully disarmed someone twice, and both were pretty noobified.

Belog stealinga  weapon, who cares.. reload the character and it's fixed.  If someone's discipline isn't high enough to withstand a disarm check in the low to mid-70s (average disarm check of a level 40 melee), then they need to be disarmed... Hell a level 20 character should be able to withstand disarm from a level 40 with the rolls work.

If you find an opponent vulnerable to disarm, I say disarm them to your heart's content.
A.K.A. Xorin - Dragon Archer of the Marauders
And to the non-pvp world: Marius, Keeper of Lore, Council Member of the Necromantic Tower.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

-Confucius, The Confucian Analects

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

-Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

It's always best in the long run to be what you are. It isn't proper to behave as if you were more, but it isn't good to behave as if you were less, either... The whole problem seems to be finding out exactly what you really are.

-David Eddings

You can have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power.

-Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 08:52:33 PM »
I failed to mention I use Improved Disarm and I have only level 20 characters but I understand what you mean. Also have Improved Knockdown on my fighters, well most.
I was concerned about what people thought of the moral isssue seeing how people felt bad when it came to using certain spells and exploiting an opponents weakness. On a couple of occasions a Sentinel has complained about me disarming a randomer.
At level 20 there are a lot of people that can be disarmed and doing it to a mage is second in line to a randomer.  :D Oh and they don't always drop it there is a save.

You guys make it sound like I don't know how or that I've never used disarm...I do use it. <_<  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 08:58:44 PM by Meclar »

Offline Lord_Aiden

• MSN Messenger - DJ_LiquidIce@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - acp3983
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 01:27:37 AM »
I look at it this way man.. If you disarm a person enough times, it's going to force them to remake thier character or gear to prevent that.

If you can force another player to make a change in thier character, then not only does that prove that you've come up with a tactic they didn't consider, but you've also taught that person something.

"The best learned lessons are those taught by failure."
A.K.A. Xorin - Dragon Archer of the Marauders
And to the non-pvp world: Marius, Keeper of Lore, Council Member of the Necromantic Tower.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

-Confucius, The Confucian Analects

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

-Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

It's always best in the long run to be what you are. It isn't proper to behave as if you were more, but it isn't good to behave as if you were less, either... The whole problem seems to be finding out exactly what you really are.

-David Eddings

You can have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power.

-Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 11:46:25 AM »
Well, considering disarm is  a legal tactic, and a fun one as well. Knockdown does help, but a disarm saves your own ass from getting hit with more damage. And you can tease them after you do it (jokingly of course). I recommend using this feat, I have it on almost all my characters. Level 20 and Level 40 chars.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline 7th Heaven

• View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 01:46:51 PM »
I've yet to have anyone even try to use it vs me, and im an archer so it would completely screw me over
"In an age of nothing, at a time when we stand at the brink of our own destruction-strengthen your belief in yourself, in the future of humanity, in things of this world which cannot easily be percieved. Awaken that which lies dormant now within your soul. Re-ignite the flame of your consciousness, and measure the strength of your conviction. Reveal the lie. Renounce your hatred. Seek, find, and embrace the truths you are fortunate enough to discover. Cherish them, use them to anchor you in the sea of chaos that is the world we live in. When twilight draws near, when you are pushed to the very limits of your soul, when it seams that all you have left are the dead remains of the fabric of your life-BELIEVE"

-Disturbed

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 08:21:33 PM »
no kd or disarm can hit a�??�?�½player in pvp, this has always been my general idea of the feats.
All pvp players should have more than enough discipline to withstand a disarming attack.

I say go ahead using disarm.
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline bus driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 08:55:53 PM »
no kd or disarm can hit a�??�?�½player in pvp, this has always been my general idea of the feats.
All pvp players should have more than enough discipline to withstand a disarming attack.

I say go ahead using disarm.
thats not true i knock down a hella lot of people.

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 09:00:40 PM »
vets or noobs?

cuz if it's on noobs then I don't quite care :P

it's quite easy getting enough disc to stay up all the time and if you kd someone due to a 1 roll on disc then it's not quite what I'm talking about.

all my chars are defended from kd because disc is such a standard skill
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline bus driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 10:03:11 PM »
vets or noobs?

cuz if it's on noobs then I don't quite care :P

it's quite easy getting enough disc to stay up all the time and if you kd someone due to a 1 roll on disc then it's not quite what I'm talking about.

all my chars are defended from kd because disc is such a standard skill
ALOT of people dont have there disc over 100  

Offline Aljn

• MSN Messenger - mortuus_0@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Aljn0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 03:25:40 AM »
In regard to using Disarm, if it's in a duel and both players don't mind, then I don't care, but , I despise disarm any other time because:

1 - Being a mage player, some people are **** (homophobic slur removed), they go round and disarm mages because they think it's funny, and because most servers these days have a trash collection system, anything dropped is destroyed.

2 - I play Wizards and I hate it when people disarm me because they think it's funny, I have to reset my whole spell book and that can take a long time.

3 - Lamers who can't build good shit will Disarm you, steal your staff/dagger and save their characters.

Luckily I usually have other Mage friends there I can charge spam the assailant with.

-Aljn

EDIT: HOMOPHOBIC SLUR REMOVED (TALON)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 04:58:37 AM by Talon »
I regret that I have but one life to waste on videogames! - Ethan CtrlAltDelete

Offline Aljn

• MSN Messenger - mortuus_0@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Aljn0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 06:04:09 AM »
Rather a Vicious edit there, Talon.
I regret that I have but one life to waste on videogames! - Ethan CtrlAltDelete

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 10:36:45 AM »
aside from Concentration, Discipline is the easiest skill to acquire.  Since the disarm check is based on the attack roll and since arrows can't disarm anyone let's take an ab of 80 which is the highest melee ab I've seen, give -4 for disarm roll, which is the minimum penatly so that leaves 76 ab ...+20 = 96...if you can't build a char with 96+ discp you should head out and buy a some kind of help manual.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 10:37:23 AM by Mo, Master of the Arcane »

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
Disarm:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2004, 12:57:05 AM »
I'm gonna write that help manual and become rich