Author Topic: Should we extinguish the sun?  (Read 20268 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Should we extinguish the sun?
« on: March 28, 2005, 04:53:53 PM »
OK, this poll comes from a little topic of dicussion I was engaged in on GodSpire this weekend.

Basically it is based on 2 main theories:

1. The sun is a giant flaming ball of radiation.

2. We live in a back-water solar system and are basically the hillbillies of the Milky Way galaxy.

Now, you may think I've gone off the deep end. "We need the sun to live!" is the most common retort I get.

But I put to you that no one has ever extinguished the sun before... how do we know it will be the doom of us all? How do we know?

Anyway, our little planet is perfectly capable of sustaining life independantly with a wacky little invention call a borehole. We can just use our planets own geothermal resources for heat and electricity.

Of course we'll all have to take dietary suppliments so that we can process vitamin D without the sun but it's a small price to pay for the damage the sun does to our planet and its residents.

I'm not just talking about heat stroke, sun burns, skin cancer, blindness, drought, famine, faded car paint, bleached posters and comic books, melted tapes and records and Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE).

Did you know that by the time our sun becomes a Red Giant it's circumference will reach beyond our current orbit! This blatant agressivness toward our planet cannot be tolerated and I recommend a pre-emptive strike in the next "500 to 900 million years".

I decided not to post the "Planets with more than one moon think they are better than us, so should we steal their moons and show them who's boss?" because it was just too silly.

EDIT: 3rd choice should say:
"Let's just move our planet out of this backwater solar system to something closer to Galactic Central Core."

We really should be able to "edit" our own poles question and answers.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 04:57:41 PM by 420 »

Offline CABAZON

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 05:17:14 PM »
I think we should make sun-blowing a mandatory elementary school brain washing class.

Teach to them it is their enemy, and wait 'til we're dead for it to happen so we don't have to drill stupid holes and take stupid pills.

I'm using the power rangers to steal bandwidth from 10,000 people in florida.

Trizzie D

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 05:33:53 PM »
If we all decide to live underground we would probably adapt to being underground. Besides, how in the hell are we suposed to get to school? We would basically just have to build everything underground and convert the entire community to becoming a bunch of damn ground-hogs. Think of all the downsides you have to living underground such as your looks, your girlfriend's looks, travel etc.

Offline fireknight40

• MSN Messenger - fireknight40@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fireknight40
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - briortheforesaken
    • View Profile
    • http://members.dslextreme.com/users/fierynight3/Iceys%20Hints%20and%20Tips.htm
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 05:35:21 PM »
I say we destroy it! It's to dangerous it causes cancer some say! Destroy it!

Lord of Doriath[/span]
[span style=\'color:blue\']Sentinel of GodSpire[/color]

Trizzie D

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 05:36:59 PM »
Yeah, so does everything else.

Offline fireknight40

• MSN Messenger - fireknight40@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fireknight40
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - briortheforesaken
    • View Profile
    • http://members.dslextreme.com/users/fierynight3/Iceys%20Hints%20and%20Tips.htm
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 05:40:47 PM »
Then we destroy everything else to!

Lord of Doriath[/span]
[span style=\'color:blue\']Sentinel of GodSpire[/color]

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 05:40:51 PM »
420 has finally crossed the line from every-day villany to cartoonish super-villany!

-Lord Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 05:43:57 PM »
I beg to differ.  It is unknown why the core of the Earth produces heat.  It is also suggested that the Earth is losing it's own heat gradually.

Also:
Additional evidence is in the observation that planets which are farther away from the sun are losing heat faster than they are acquiring it from the sun. They apparently acquired their heat during their creation.

The Sun not only provides life to countless of orginisms it also provides life for the Earth itself.  Remove the Sun and the Earth would float off into space gradually dying and eventually (sooner rather than later) turning into a lifeless sphere of rock and solid metals before it crashes into another planet,  star, blackhole or what not.

Idea = very bad. (not to mention impossible)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 05:47:17 PM by Mo »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 02:54:28 AM »
I see that the community is divided on this important question, and I want to clarify my position: I chair the Sun and Moon Protection Association (SAMPA), whose core goals are:
1: Protect the Sun (and Moon, should it become a target) from 420's aggressive theories.
2: Promote friendship with 420, despite his hostilities to the Sun and the Bodies that orbit the Sun, including the Earth.

We're reaching out our olive branch of peace: 420, won't you give peace a chance?

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 08:11:38 AM »
I agree with Mo,

The sun is one of the main reazons of life like we know it now. And changing, lets stand destroying the sun is something impossible. (way too stable, and somewhat hot) It's easyer to wait till it runs out of it hydrogen reserves. Takes a nice 5 billion years.

I think there isn't 1 single reazon to destroy her, she serves us well, and we can't without her. She isn't going to change to the stage of a red gaint in the near future anyway. She's also one of the most stable fusion reactors we know. If detroyed, the earth wouldn't rotate around the sun anymore, but just fly to who knows where in space.

When the sun get a red gaint, I would go to a moon around Jupiter. The temperature there will be around 3�° while the earth is metling. And when the sun becomes a white Jupiter could be used as small sun. By trying to get as much as possible hydrogen out of the near space that the sun is throwing out and giving the start of the fusion and maintain it (Jupiter never will be able to have a stable fusion reactor because it lacks enough mass for that, and I don't think enough hydrogen will be captured by it's gravity from the sun). If humans still exist by then, there's a change that they will be advanced enough to manage this. If no big problems show up, like Jupiter having a solid core, what is perfectly possible.

Ah, and didn't vote, I don't see a option that match my point of view well enough.

-Mel

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 11:21:22 AM »
This is almost as bad as the space travel topic...
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 12:40:41 PM »
I see that the community is divided on this important question, and I want to clarify my position: I chair the Sun and Moon Protection Association (SAMPA), whose core goals are:
1: Protect the Sun (and Moon, should it become a target) from 420's aggressive theories.
2: Promote friendship with 420, despite his hostilities to the Sun and the Bodies that orbit the Sun, including the Earth.

We're reaching out our olive branch of peace: 420, won't you give peace a chance?

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]20434[/snapback]

NEVER!!! SAMPA has been attacking me for several minutes, ever since they were formed last night! All you SAMPA people are jerks and hate-mongers and name-callers and I hate you all!

There will only be open hostilites between us because peace isn't an option because there will only be open hostilites between us and I will say no more on the matter!

And one more thing, you condescending name-callers are a bunch of sun-loving haters who hate everyone with hatred!!!

Just leave me alone!!

Why won't you leave me alone?

I just want to be left alone!

Hey.. where'd everybody go?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 02:05:29 PM »
NEVER!!! SAMPA has been attacking me for several minutes, ever since they were formed last night! All you SAMPA people are jerks and hate-mongers and name-callers and I hate you all!

There will only be open hostilites between us because peace isn't an option because there will only be open hostilites between us and I will say no more on the matter!

And one more thing, you condescending name-callers are a bunch of sun-loving haters who hate everyone with hatred!!!

Just leave me alone!!

[snapback]20455[/snapback]

Does this remind us of anyone we know?

Offline Cannixxxx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 03:30:20 PM »
lol @ results from poll

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 07:11:56 PM »

Just leave me alone!!

[snapback]20455[/snapback]

SAMPA is beating you 420!

-Lord Elessar

PS: Did you have fun insulting yourself? :P

Offline Wobbles

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 08:12:39 PM »
I say we move the earth. The moon is making faces at me and it pisses me off.

And yeah..

Go earth?  :B
I like to chew on things.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 10:00:46 PM »
NEVER!!! SAMPA has been attacking me for several minutes,
I'm very sorry that anything SAMPA did or said led to any sort of attack. To be perfectly honest, I don't see what we did that you could consider an attack - we merely stated several rebutals to your megalomaniacal plan, not a one of which included aggression towards you.

After all, you're no threat; your technical skills are clearly lacking - I doubt you have the engineering capabilities required to power a lightbulb using a lemon, never mind those necessary to obliterate the sun.

All you SAMPA people are jerks and hate-mongers and name-callers and I hate you all!
Speaks for itself, really.

If you wanted to be left alone, why did you start this insane campaign to destroy all life on the planet? Why did you attempt to recruit innocent citizens of Godspire to help you in your evil baffoonery?

Nevertheless, I still offer the olive branch, 420. I think there's a way we can coexist in peace.

And to be clear, anyone who voted for crispy skin should join SAMPA. And those of you how have joined need to vote here (you know who you are). To hear you then, you were all very opposed. Where are you now that the chips are down?

-Throbblefoot
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 12:20:53 AM by Throbblefoot »
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 01:11:42 PM »
I'm very sorry that anything SAMPA did or said led to any sort of attack. To be perfectly honest, I don't see what we did that you could consider an attack - we merely stated several rebutals to your megalomaniacal plan, not a one of which included aggression towards you.
[snapback]20499[/snapback]

Don't look down your nose at me and put me down with your condescending patronizations!

I'm bored with SAMPA and this is the last you will hear from me on the subject EVER AGAIN!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 01:19:34 PM »
Don't look down your nose at me and put me down with your condescending patronizations!

I'm bored with SAMPA and this is the last you will hear from me on the subject EVER AGAIN!
[snapback]20522[/snapback]

And another thing, stop hacking this web site by registering an account and posting! You l33T Haxors you!

I know SAMPA is responsible for crashing every version of windows I have ever owned! Even when I was not on the internet, using Windows 3.0 it would crash and no one can tell me it wasn't SAMPA! Damn you SAMPA you have always crashed, hacked and raided my computer!

Anyone who has ever used a Micrisoft product and had it crash knows that it was all SAMPA's fault!

SAMPA IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING BAD THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME IN MY LIFETIME!!!!!

I don't care about SAMPA and I will never bring it up again.

SAMPA is full of hackers and this is the last you'll hear on the matter.

Stop bringing up SAMPA they are not even worth discussing.

SAMPA are lying liars don't believe their false lies of lying! Case closed!

Why does SAMPA keep crashing my Windows OS? Stupid kiddy-hacker-noob-leet-kiddies never mention SAMPA again!

All mentions of SAMPA should be deleted from the memories of everyone on this forum!

Why can't I stop talking about SAMPA? I hate him so much!

Offline BzK

• ICQ Messenger - 122117799
    • MSN Messenger - flatleymike@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LoRdOfTeHDaNcE
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bzk04
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 01:43:19 PM »
:lol: and this is why we love 420 and Throbble. you guys are a riot =D

Offline Suki YO

• MSN Messenger - ayumi_fangirl@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 12:39:20 AM »
I would like to say I am now the official treasurer of SAMPA. Does anyone want to make a donation to preserve our sun and moon in there natural habitat?

Offline Wobbles

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 05:38:24 PM »
I have now donated a sack of aborted fetuses to Suki YO's save the SAMPA orginization, or whatever.

Enjoy! <3

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 10:16:16 PM »
lol very nice visual. I am sure that would be a glorious donation, in all its blue glory.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Wobbles

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2005, 10:38:49 PM »
<---- was the supplier.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2005, 02:08:49 AM »
I agree with 420 and aim to make several nuclear devices to help destroy the sun, also SAMPA shall be taken care of *pulls out Remington Model 12-A Bolt Action Sniper Rifle* dont you worry sir. *grins* I will also send you a fix so you wont crash on 3.0 they do that to me as well. Damn you SAMPA!
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Suki YO

• MSN Messenger - ayumi_fangirl@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2005, 02:32:51 AM »
SAMPA has used its funds of aborted fetuses to purchase a massive army of super mutant ninja pirates. Those who we deem dangerous to the sun and/or moon will be captured and lobotomized. Prepare for war >:D

Hobbie

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2005, 02:33:18 AM »
I find the idea of using nuclear weapons as a method of destablzing the sun slightly silly. Even Uranium, the densest metal in a warhead, would reach its Boiling point (4131 �°C) outside of the sun's photosphere (photosphere temperature 6000 �°C).
[(http://www.ktf-split.hr/periodni/en/txt/u.html)]
Even if you were  able detonate a warhead near the photosphere the explosive wave would be swept away from the star by the solar wind which streams off of the Sun in all directions at speeds of about 400 km/sec (about 1 million miles per hour)[(http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/solar/sun_wind.htm)]
[Resources]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 02:34:12 AM by Hobbie »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2005, 02:36:56 AM »
//*sighs* Which in stating the facts you did, wouldnt that show that I was being silly? I mean cmon rofl.//
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Hobbie

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2005, 02:49:02 AM »
Just wanted to add a bit of seriousness into this endeavor...

Offline Wobbles

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2005, 09:16:28 AM »
<--- will eat Hobbie, for being serious.

ph34r teh gorrilla