Author Topic: Nara as a DM?  (Read 23925 times)

Offline iceycool56

• MSN Messenger - iceycool56@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iceycool56
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2005, 03:19:13 PM »
sorry but I deleted the poll, a poll is a bit rude, lets just hear everyones opinion :P
[snapback]20112[/snapback]

It's alright, the poll just showed numbers.  What's more important are our voices  :)
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline Nara

• MSN Messenger - drowmageforhire@yahoo.co.uk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Nah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - None
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dogsquad.co.uk
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2005, 04:31:30 PM »
I think a dm also can entertain, there's a lot you can do with those extra buttons and tools.
[snapback]20089[/snapback]

Mhm. I've done a bit of that too on occasion. PvP-based servers like GS and CM do give opportunities for goofing around in a different way, since they're not bound to an ongoing story, where everything must follow the logic of what's happened. Don't know if you've ever met CM's counterpart to Belog - The Discordians. Basically a bunch of bald, religious people dressed in orange jumpsuits, standing on all kinds of places in CM. Atleast they used to in the old CM, before Bug changed mods. They were listeners. Without one around you couldn't use /shop, /sit etc.
They were pretty fun to possess, and act out their emotional life, like make them whine about how incredibly boring it is to stand perfectly still 24 hours a day all year around, to listen to all the players, and not even get paid for it.. or whine about the fact that Bug never made any female Discordians.. lol

/Nara.
How do you spot a CM-player in GodSpire?

Simple. Look for the only player that's not sidestepping all over the place.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2005, 06:26:33 PM »
When I started reading this thread, I thought, "In a way, DM is a title like President: you should never give it to anyone who wants it."

And then Nara goes and proves my point:
I must say that I agree with both Mercy and Khadgar.
[snapback]20062[/snapback]
Just like the way rules don't apply to DMs, there aren't hard and fast rules about how to become one -- except that one must show good sense. Given time, Nara certainly will show us more good sense, and I look forward to getting to know her.

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2005, 07:30:09 PM »
what I think is that most of the people here disagree because they've been playing in godspire for much longer than Nara has, yet Nara just joins godspire for one week and everyone is talking about her becoming dm... dms serve a purpose,  the reason that i'm not dm or 99% of the other godspire people are not dm is because they are not fit to be dm, Nara is fit to be dm that's why most of the dms agree with mo and the other people that agree with Nara should be dm...
going back to mercys post -- what's the point of going thru all of those steps, like sentail gaurdeen whatever the f*** there is if you are already DM quality....  I think that they should make nara dm because she has that dm quailty that the other dms have...
anyways, this is just my opinion and what i think, it could be wrong...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 07:32:33 PM by nathan »

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2005, 07:30:52 PM »
wow, whatever happend to being able to bypass the bad world filter for admins  :P

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2005, 07:33:36 PM »
lol like mel became sent on GodSpire after a week of playing

-Lord Elessar

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2005, 07:36:29 PM »
EXACTLY, she had that dm quaility that the other dms had that's why it only took a week

Nara has that same quaility too

Anonymous

Nara as a DM?
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2005, 11:53:10 PM »
umm... i'm not taking the time to read this whole thing... but if Nara became a DM on GodSpire, Bug would definately think of her as a traitor...

- Anonymous from CM

Offline iceycool56

• MSN Messenger - iceycool56@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iceycool56
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2005, 12:26:58 AM »
umm... i'm not taking the time to read this whole thing... but if Nara became a DM on GodSpire, Bug would definately think of her as a traitor...

- Anonymous from CM
[snapback]20148[/snapback]

A good point has been made.  For Nara's sake, so she can maintain her friendship with Bug, we should just leave her as a player.  I don't want any more bad things to happen to her.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 12:27:38 AM by iceycool56 »
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline Nara

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2005, 01:28:30 AM »
A good point has been made.  For Nara's sake, so she can maintain her friendship with Bug, we should just leave her as a player.  I don't want any more bad things to happen to her.
[snapback]20150[/snapback]

I'm going to be straightforward with Bug, as I think friends should be. I'm going to tell him all about this, and then I'll see what his responce is. I doubt it will gain me any favours next time he's about to choose DMs for CM, but that's not really important.. you can always make a difference, no matter if you're DM or not, Sent or not, as long as you have spirit and dedication. And would he bann me, or declare our friendship as none existent.. then that was probably inevitable, anyway. -_-

Offline fireknight40

• MSN Messenger - fireknight40@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fireknight40
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - briortheforesaken
    • View Profile
    • http://members.dslextreme.com/users/fierynight3/Iceys%20Hints%20and%20Tips.htm
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2005, 01:49:46 AM »
Well I agree that Nara should be a DM she does seem to have the DMing quality. One reason I never DM even on my own servers is because I know I don't have that quality. Yet it seems to me that if someone has that quality and can be kind about it that they deserve to be a DM. One doesn't have to be there for a long time to be recognized. Sure I haven't been there for to long but I do remember when GodSpire was just the dueling hall, the house of the bear, Doriath Area, Angband, those caves and the docks. I liked it there People seemed to be more relaxed. Anyways I'm getting off topic, but yeah. I think Nara has the DMing quality and deserves to be a DM. Though this is just my opinion.

Lord of Doriath[/span]
[span style=\'color:blue\']Sentinel of GodSpire[/color]

Offline Xellos

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2005, 02:29:37 AM »
Well, I'm a bit biased on this deal seeing as I'm a friend of Nara's.  So, that said, the only thing I can do is tell you what I know of Nara.

First off, I can honestly say, Nara was the best DM that CM had ever had. I've personally never had any problems with her DMing, as she has the scale of justice!!!  :P
But seriously, she's fair in her decisions.

Personality-wise, she's got an intelligent sense of humor, unlike me where I'll laugh at some of the simplest things (GOOD SHOES!!! lol)

Earlier points expressed, I do agree that it isn't fair for those who have been waiting to become a DM. The way I see it, requirements for DM (Sent, Guardian, etc) Should be based off a mix of things. Basically it should be where you check the person by:

-Time spent on the server the person would be DMing for.
-Knowledge of the DM client and how to handle issues between players.
-Responsibility with granted powers from a server owner.
-Knowledge of the players on the server.

Basically, Nara has a more accomplished understanding of the DM client from DMing on CM. She also has great responsibility with said power. Her knowledge of you guys rests solely on you, do you think she knows you decently? And Time spent is more or less moot for her.

So, that's basically it. Maybe this helped, maybe it didn't. Either way she's a boon to a server as a player or a DM. :D

-MM
TOAST!!!

Together Wild and Xellos combined the power of Toast to take down the evil... BAGEL!!!!!

L33t! 0v3rcl0ck Y0ur Br3@kf@st!!!!

_-Xellos-_

Offline maverick

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2005, 02:40:26 AM »
ok there are two sides to this but it mainly comes down to the point of does the player that is given the chance of being a DM wants to up hold the responcibility on the server.  ive heard the nara was a DM at CM so nara has exp. but as i said it comes down to the player not the DMs on that server, not the sents and, not other players it comes down to he person that will be affected for better or worse. :mellow:

Offline Nara

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2005, 03:02:57 AM »
ok there are two sides to this but it mainly comes down to the point of does the player that is given the chance of being a DM wants to up hold the responcibility on the server.  ive heard the nara was a DM at CM so nara has exp. but as i said it comes down to the player not the DMs on that server, not the sents and, not other players it comes down to he person that will be affected for better or worse. :mellow:
[snapback]20170[/snapback]

Nod. Well said.

A DM isn't perfect, nor is any Sent. We're all human, after all. And as humans we do make mistakes, and we do not always respond as we should. Xellos is very generous to say such wonderful things about me.. but DMing has not always been easy, and my service under Bug has not always worked as I intended. But even though I might stumble, I always try to get up again.. that I can promise you. I served CM through good and bad.. and I would serve GodSpire just the same.

I can't really think of any more to say at the moment..

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2005, 03:45:44 AM »
There's a saying:  Wine brings out the truth.  Well I've had my fair share tonight so I guess I'll be honest.  

Mel, I respect you, always had (even though I feel that you make the lamest chars on Earth :P).  Problem is I can't understand you for 3 consecutive words.  That results on your messages being distorted and coming off in a way not intended.  It's not your fault.

I'm sorry if i was ever rude to you....you're swell in my books :D

- Anonymous from CM

Good...hopefully then Bug will realize after a day or two that his only friends are his keyboard and mouse.  Though I'd bet if the keyboard and mouse had brains they'd leave him also :P

Traitor..lol...I've known Nara for a week and I can easily say that she'd be an asset to any server and community.  I'm trying hard to steal her  B)

Offline Nara

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2005, 04:20:43 AM »
Good...hopefully then Bug will realize after a day or two that his only friends are his keyboard and mouse.
[snapback]20176[/snapback]

Not quite true. I still regard him as a friend. For me, who have seen his good side for more than half a year now, it's hard to really lose respect for him. I've sent him an email now, explaining all of this.. the discussion we are having over me, and why. When he gets it, he will have all the time he needs or wants to read it, and then he can decide what he's going to think of it. Until then, there's really not much to discuss. For all we know he might as well surprice us all, and welcome the thought. I'm keeping my hopes up, atleast. Hope's the last thing that leaves you.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2005, 08:13:56 AM »
No matter how qualified, everyones opinion should have wieght, but Mo should make the final decision. Make a decision, stick with it, and deal with any consequences.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 08:14:23 AM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2005, 02:19:06 PM »
Thanks for your input all.

Over the past couple days, I've carefully weighed the pros and cons.  After a formal interview with Nara last night, she has commenced her duties as a DM.

She has a unique mission: Meet, greet and attempt to develope new GodSpire players from the multitude of noobs we get each day.  It's quite obvious that the other DMs and indeed most of the GodSpire regs, pay little mind to noobs and it's no wonder we aren't getting new dedicated players, only losing them.

This is Nara's duty, it's not easy.  I feel she is unquely qualified for it.

Let's all welcome her in and make her feel at home.

Offline BzK

• ICQ Messenger - 122117799
    • MSN Messenger - flatleymike@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LoRdOfTeHDaNcE
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bzk04
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2005, 02:29:31 PM »
In a way, DM is a title like President: you should never give it to anyone who wants it.

*adds that to his list of Throbblefoot's words of wisdom* :lol:

oh and welcome Nara =D

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2005, 02:56:49 PM »
Thanks for your input all.

It's quite obvious that the other DMs and indeed most of the GodSpire regs, pay little mind to noobs and it's no wonder we aren't getting new dedicated players, only losing them.
[snapback]20461[/snapback]
Speak for yourself. I treat newbs better than most of the regs. I talk to newbs just like anyone else, but my bow tends to slip everyonce in a while, while i'm talking to a "reg".
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2005, 03:18:29 PM »
Speak for yourself. I treat newbs better than most of the regs. I talk to newbs just like anyone else, but my bow tends to slip everyonce in a while, while i'm talking to a "reg".
[snapback]20468[/snapback]

I wasn't speaking for myself.  I was speaking for "most"
Obviously you feel you do not fall into the "most" category.  Which is cool.
Need more players like you who are still playing.

Offline fireknight40

• MSN Messenger - fireknight40@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fireknight40
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - briortheforesaken
    • View Profile
    • http://members.dslextreme.com/users/fierynight3/Iceys%20Hints%20and%20Tips.htm
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2005, 03:28:47 PM »
If a new person talks to me I'll talk to them no problem. I only kill in a duel or if the person randomed me. Either those or it's a free for all in another area.

Lord of Doriath[/span]
[span style=\'color:blue\']Sentinel of GodSpire[/color]

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2005, 09:55:53 PM »
lol like mel became sent on GodSpire after a week of playing
-Lord Elessar
[snapback]20134[/snapback]

Actually Elessar, mel had came to GodSpire before hotu, it wasnt her first week there.

@ Nara - Congrats may your time here be wonderful and span for time like ours. :D
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Now Nara needs to learn how to do the Godspire Sidestep
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Nara

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2005, 09:45:28 AM »
Now Nara needs to learn how to do the Godspire Sidestep
[snapback]20545[/snapback]

Actually, Mo already taught me that. I believe it was one of the more important auditions for DMing I went through. :P

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2005, 11:00:49 AM »
Actually Elessar, mel had came to GodSpire before hotu, it wasnt her first week there.
[snapback]20542[/snapback]
Nope. I never logged on GodSpire before june 2004. (who said I did anyway?)

Nathan that said I really had to see GodSpire a time in june 2004. And basicly, GodSpire was evrything I was trying to make on Arivs by then. And because it was running fine, I choosed to stay on GodSpire and help there instead of building on Arivs (I did (re)build on it later, to run a temporary server when GodSpire was down). I was made sent in 6 days if I remeber well, it wasn't really what I was looking for, but I was already happy that I could help a bit.

Well, things changed a bit last weeks. It seems like I'm not good enough to help GodSpire. Communication problems or something too.

@Nara
Take good care of those newbies, they not often get the respect they deserve from some other players. (and if someone feels himself/herself focused by that comment, that's not my fault)

@Anheg
Well, sidestep makes that you're not flat footed, a good reazon to tell newbies to learn it :)

-Mel

Offline Morticia

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2005, 02:13:02 PM »
i remembered when i came at godspire 1 of the first things i noticed was melisa.
Nara probably has the capacibilities of being dm but so has melisa.
anyhow its just a fact. The way i read this and other mentioned writings about mel subject it seems to me melisa does not neccesarily wanna regain dm status but wants a better explanation why she was removed.
The way i read it its just some powerplay, angerment or envy from mo towards melisa. i dont know the reasons and i could be wrong. its just, those reasons u said earlier are not the right reasons to do it.

anyhow , my advice: meet in person (i mean characters or so) and talk this over.

u probably respond with ur no longer on godspire etc.
but i was just giving some advice and made my statement.
Roses are grey, violets are grey...
I m dead and collorblind

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2005, 05:47:49 PM »
Raven and Taarna were removed also then? We need a DM list to be pined in GodSpire General. Along with an updated Sent list. I know Calia is a Vanguard now.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 05:48:15 PM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2005, 05:49:09 PM »
Raven and Taarna were removed also then? We need a DM list to be pined in GodSpire General. Along with an updated Sent list. I know Calia is a Vanguard now.
[snapback]20590[/snapback]

Incorrect.  Raven is on GodSpire regularly and Taarna will be back when she can make it

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2005, 05:51:20 PM »
-_- I guess Raven and I have different free time...
My PS3 Game Library: