Author Topic: Nara as a DM?  (Read 23926 times)

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« on: March 26, 2005, 01:08:54 AM »
why don't you make a topic on it, see what everyone else saysp
Here it is
I welcome anyone with a good additude with open arms, but I am not sure about letting someone that previously had nothing to do with us DM godspire. I know Nara is probibly a good person and IF she did anythign wrong we would here about it fairly quickly but...I would have a problem accepting it.
what i said before still stands. She seems nice, but doesnt deserve it simply because her 'friends' abandonded her.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 01:28:37 AM »
I welcome anyone with a good additude with open arms, but I am not sure about letting someone that previously had nothing to do with us DM godspire. I know Nara is probibly a good person and IF she did anythign wrong we would here about it fairly quickly but...I would have a problem accepting it.
[snapback]20055[/snapback]

Well, I have lots of opinions on this, but I dont have the time nor the patience to type them all up lol. So here goes....

Nara as a person I dont really know much, she doesnt really talk much when Ive been around her. I understand that she has been a DM at CM for a while, and she also tried to resolve the GodSpire/CM conflict. But we all did something to fix it. And just because she was banned for whatever she did, I do not agree that she should be made a DM. She has not put in the time nor the effort to protect/better Godspire. Just because of the afformentioned reasons (Here CM DMship time, and Attempted Conflict Resolution) does she deserve to be different from the rest of Godspire citizens. She should have to wait and earn her keep as has everyone who is now a Sent, Guardian or DM. Everyone that is in one of those positions has put time and effort into Godspire, and it is unfair to them and the other people of Godspire for this to happen. Nara may be a good DM, she may be an awesome scripter, or awesome everything for all I know. And no offense to her, but in my opinion she does not deserve the DM rank, or even a Sent rank at this point. Maybe later on down the road, after she shows her dedication like we all have. In the end, its not our decision, this may help guide our DM staff, but its their final decision that matters. So whatever they decide is law.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 01:56:50 AM »
i'd have to say no...simply because it sets a bad example....(crap...DAMN U MERCY!...now i can't make some grand speech...stop stealin me ideas :P )
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Nara

• MSN Messenger - drowmageforhire@yahoo.co.uk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Nah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - None
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dogsquad.co.uk
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 02:14:59 AM »
I must say that I agree with both Mercy and Khadgar. The idea of me DMing was initially Mo's, and I said to him then the same things you are saying now. And to clear one thing up, I'm not banned from CM. I resigned from the position of DM by my own free will, and still play there as just another player. I resigned because Bug doesn't trust me anymore, and as long as I'm not trusted in GS, I shouldn't DM there either.

Peace.

/Nara.
How do you spot a CM-player in GodSpire?

Simple. Look for the only player that's not sidestepping all over the place.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 02:17:27 AM »
I dont have anything against you, but...you seem to get our point. + I have never even seen you on (never meet you i ment)
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline maverick

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 02:19:27 AM »
i dont think that its fair for other playes that have been here at GodSpire for a while and nara gets to skip ppl like the guardians that have been here the longest.  just doesnt seem right to them and the rest of the GodSpire ppl. im not trying to be a mean person here but it just doesnt need to happen and sorry for your loss on cm as a dm. but not a good enough excuse for me for u to be a dm (i know this was not your dessision)

Offline Nara

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 02:23:04 AM »
I dont have anything against you, but...you seem to get our point. + I have never even seen you on (never meet you i ment)
[snapback]20063[/snapback]

No worries. I saw your point a long time ago, and have no problem with it. I'm on my way to logg in now, though, if you wanna meet. :)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 03:59:00 AM »
well I thought it would have been a good idea.  Nara is a very dedicated player on NWN.  Lord knows I'm seeing more n00bs around these days than regs.  I thought she might be able to bring some of the better players from CM over to GodSpire.  Cause really i feel they are wasting theyr valuable time, playing on a server run by a ruthless piece of cow shit.  Unlike Bug I will always listen to the players and DMs.  Hey Anheg, Doriath is fading away, hey Nem so is Marauders.

You're all quick to jump at a subject about an "outsider" becoming DM.  But concerning your own clans I don't see too much attention.

(Don't take this the wrong way...it's only a wake up call...I'm trying hard guys)

Offline bus driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 04:16:05 AM »
just like to add .... how long youve played on GodSpire means very little...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 04:17:29 AM by bus driver »

Offline mIRO]cRO[

• MSN Messenger - mirocro@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 04:32:38 AM »
Nara as a person I dont really know much, she doesnt really talk much when Ive been around her. I understand that she has been a DM at CM for a while, and she also tried to resolve the GodSpire/CM conflict.
[snapback]20057[/snapback]

We share the same opinion

Hey Anheg, Doriath is fading away, hey Nem so is Marauders.

[snapback]20067[/snapback]

Sad,but true :(

mIRO]cRO[  |LM|
[/span]

[span style=\'color:blue\']
(....\................./....) you toucha
.\....\.............../..../ my board,
..\....\............/...../ i breaka
...\...../�´�¯.|.�¯`\..../ you face.
...|.... |....|.... (�¯ `\
..|......|�´�¯.|�´�¯.| \...\
..|.......` �¯..�¯ �´.......|
...\_................._.�·

[/span]
[span style=\'color:red\']
i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet
[/span]
[span style=\'color:orange\']
Chichiri: My eyes just fell out. How are you going to repay me 420?        

420:I will repay you in bricks and marbles. (now THAT is   creative financing)
[/span]
"To live in Croatia permanently is like going to a party and dancing all night with one`s mother"

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 06:35:16 AM »
I must say that I agree with both Mercy and Khadgar. The idea of me DMing was initially Mo's, and I said to him then the same things you are saying now. And to clear one thing up, I'm not banned from CM. I resigned from the position of DM by my own free will, and still play there as just another player. I resigned because Bug doesn't trust me anymore, and as long as I'm not trusted in GodSpire, I shouldn't DM there either.

Peace.

/Nara.
[snapback]20062[/snapback]

I trust you, Nara.

Hey Anheg, Doriath is fading away, hey Nem so is Marauders.
So seems to be Divine Exaltation. *sigh* World of Warcraft has depleted everyone's numbers it seems. We must find new dedicated players to take up the torch as clan members

-Lord Elessar
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 06:35:50 AM by Lord Elessar »

Offline mIRO]cRO[

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 06:56:06 AM »
So seems to be Divine Exaltation. *sigh* World of Warcraft has depleted everyone's numbers it seems.
-Lord Elessar
[snapback]20073[/snapback]

Don`t forget Guild Wars is comming out soon.More inactive players...

mIRO]cRO[  |LM|
[/span]

[/span]
i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet
[/span]

[/span]
"To live in Croatia permanently is like going to a party and dancing all night with one`s mother"

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 07:16:16 AM »
Don`t forget Guild Wars is comming out soon.More inactive players...
[snapback]20074[/snapback]

indeed

-Lord Elessar

Offline Nara

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 07:58:43 AM »
I trust you, Nara.
[snapback]20073[/snapback]

I'm glad to hear that. :)

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 09:23:35 AM »
Dunno if being dm has anything to do with scripting.

Only thing I ever was asked to do for GodSpire, was making a few premade chars, that never got used because Talon's plan didn't work. And scripting is just what interests me about nwn. I know I can make good chars, or play caretaker (or baby sitter, whatever you want to call it)... but scripting is the thing I can and like... (I hate to baby-sit, kids are evil you know, for sure if it are more 1 or 2 from around the age 7-17)

On a other server, they actually let me help with scripting, but I'm not dm, and don't see the need of being one there. The link scripter-dm doesn't really exist, unlike host-dm.

@Mo
Just ignore Bug.

@Doriath && Marauders
You poeple still have a match to do, but well, probably will never happen...
It was already hard enough to make and finish the tournament on Arivs, getting 3 players somewhere at a given time is a pain for some clans it seems. For sure now so many play WoW.

-Mel

Offline Nara

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 09:57:08 AM »
As a DM I'm probably very much the opposite of you, Tea Cup. I wouldn't know how to script.. if there was an immediate need for it I would most definately sit down and try to learn how to, but my role as DM until now has only been that of a "caretaker" (or babysitter). That's really the field of DMing I like, even if one has to deal with 7-17 year olds on occasion. I like communicating and socializing. I don't play NWN for the PvP to be honest, but rather for the communities it provides.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 10:48:12 AM »
(I hate to baby-sit, kids are evil you know, for sure if it are more 1 or 2 from around the age 7-17)
[snapback]20081[/snapback]
ahem...

-Lord Elessar

Offline iceycool56

• MSN Messenger - iceycool56@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iceycool56
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 11:07:20 AM »
Dunno if being dm has anything to do with scripting.

-Mel
[snapback]20081[/snapback]

Dungeon Master - The player who portrays nonplayer characters, makes up the story setting for the other players, and serves as a referee. Also called DM
(Taken from Wizards of the Coast website)

It's just a bonus to have a DM that knows how to script.  You know, in case the host has a goal and can refer to others for help.  Or assign certain tasks to help out with the mod.
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 11:25:48 AM »
@Nara
You're much what like what I was to GodSpire, that I'm not dm anymore since a while ago, makes the comparison even better. And most important to nwn are also the communities to me.

I'm completly different when I run the server or may help with scripting, then I use the dmclient more to debug and try things. Something I barley could and better didn't do at GodSpire with the dmclient. Most checks for scripting have to be done as player anyway. Those are the poeple you do it for after all.

And exept baby-sit and so, I think a dm also can entertain, there's a lot you can do with those extra buttons and tools. But I'm not that good with that, I'm too "cold".

@Elessar
I had to babysit over you? Never had problems with you, you don't have to feel yourself targeted because your age. And really, some are evil..... In rl it's even worse, in nwn you can boot/ban, but in rl you can't get rid of them, the parents don't like that. (otherwise the parents are evil, those exist too)

@Iceycool56
That more what a dm does on a rpg server I think. Playing an npc doesn't happens often on pvp servers. And it's indeed a nice bonus if a dm can script, they easyer can reach the ear of the host to get script problems fixed that they notice while dming.

-Mel

Offline iceycool56

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 11:37:32 AM »
@Iceycool56
That more what a dm does on a rpg server I think. Playing an npc doesn't happens often on pvp servers. And it's indeed a nice bonus if a dm can script, they easyer can reach the ear of the host to get script problems fixed that they notice while dming.

-Mel
[snapback]20089[/snapback]

"...doesn't happens often on pvp servers"?  Often?  I'd like to think it doesn't happen at all.  When's the last time any DM pretended to be an NPC? Well... I guess some did take control of Belog...  Damn, just disproved myself  :angry:  :P

Anyways, for purposes of PvP, DM acts mainly as a referee.  Then there are the side jobs, as you pointed out, like debugging.

P.S.  It's been a long time since I've said this: Mel, you're evil  :P  (don't worry, just something random)

Happy Easter
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 11:39:21 AM by iceycool56 »
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 01:02:56 PM »
I said "yes" for the following reasons:

- There is a good chance that making Nara a GodSpire DM would show the Circus Maximus community just how far we are willing to go to bring peace. Sort of like how royal families have arranged marriages to make both kindoms stronger.

- I have never seen Nara duel, so there is a good possibility that DMing is all she does for NWN.

- DM isn't a "rank" and though people like to put things in a nice little order, being a DM doesn't mean your above a Sent/Guardian/Player. If you do want to give the DMs a ranking system compared to a player, think of us as the janitors of GodSpire. We keep things working in the background so the players can have a nice uninterrupted duel. Sure we have access to some cool gadgets (like any janitor) but in the end we answer to the players wishes.

DMing isn't all fun and games, I find myself frequently logging on to GodSpire when I normally wouldn't just to deal with some troublemaker mentioned on the "randomer thread".

I see from reading above that Nara may indeed be a dueler, and if that's the case I welcome her as a player and I can't wait to see what her dueler builds are like. She also doesn't seem to care to be a GodSpire DM anyway so I'll just shut my fat mouth.

Regarding the final battle between Doriath and the Mauraders. We do have a working Team vs. Team arena now, so you all don't need us DMs to host your clan battles anymore!

Janitor of GodSpire
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 01:03:57 PM by 420 »

Offline mIRO]cRO[

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2005, 01:20:40 PM »
ahem...
-Lord Elessar
[snapback]20087[/snapback]

You got to except the fact that we are immature :P

Regarding the final battle between Doriath and the Mauraders. We do have a working Team vs. Team arena now, so you all don't need us DMs to host your clan battles anymore!

Janitor of GodSpire
[snapback]20093[/snapback]

But we DON`T  have enough members to fight the battle  :(

mIRO]cRO[  |LM|
[/span]

[/span]
[/span]

[/span]

Offline iceycool56

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 01:36:30 PM »
Again, I'm open to the idea of letting Nara be a DM and would not object to the decision.  However, we are a community and we've heard their opinions and it seems some of them are against it for the moment.  Without the community, GodSpire wouldn't be what it is today.  Nara also agrees with those individuals so maybe we should hold off from making her a DM or even a sent until she and the community feels she's ready.  Hopefully with her experience as DM, it won't take as much time makin her a Sentinel than it normally does.
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »
I don't have a problem with her being DM.  Mainly because I trust the people that would make her DM and I have to give people the benefit of the doubt that they aren't out to screw us.  I think it would good for her to be a player for a while just to see how the day to day stuff works and gets to know the typical stuff that goes on (builds, people, rules blah blah blah).

I see it as there are different kinds of DMs. Which is what was nice about having Taarna come in and mixs things up.  DMs like bus and Cel still do this while other DMs provide technical support but may not be as interactive on this level like Melisa(Tea Cup). Nara could simply act as a promotional DM that tries to "advertise" (yucky word) for GodSpire-she does have the title of Ambassador so as I see it there isn't a DM with this kind of ambition or potential to gather players from other pvp style servers.

I picked "don't have a problem one way or the other" because ultimately it's not my choice and as I said above it wouldn't bother me if she did.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 01:53:14 PM by Meclar »

Offline Kellek

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2005, 01:56:59 PM »
You can trust Nara, she's trustable.

Sure we have access to some cool gadgets (like any janitor)
[snapback]20093[/snapback]

Like a broom?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 01:58:12 PM by Kellek »

Offline iceycool56

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2005, 01:59:07 PM »
Nara could simply act as a promotional DM that tries to "advertise" (yucky word) for GodSpire-she does have the title of Ambassador so as I see it there isn't a DM with this kind of ambition or potential to gather players from other pvp style servers.

[snapback]20098[/snapback]

Change advertise to publicize.  That sounds better
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2005, 02:17:39 PM »
But we DON`T  have enough members to fight the battle  :(
[snapback]20095[/snapback]

WRONG! According to the current rosters, both the Marauders and Doriath have 11 members total(meaning there is a cumulative amount of 22 members in those two clans). Its you who have to arrange the battle and finish what you guys started.

-Lord Elessar

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2005, 02:28:21 PM »
I think ACTIVE members is what was ment. If you count active members i see a total of...7 or 8.
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2005, 02:41:44 PM »
I think ACTIVE members is what was ment. If you count active members i see a total of...7 or 8.
[snapback]20105[/snapback]

4 on 4 battles can be quite fun and I'm sure a lot of the newer players would love a chance to prove themselves to the existing clans. You can hire them as mercenaries while at the same time seeing how good they are at team duels.

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Nara as a DM?
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2005, 03:09:08 PM »
what i said before still stands. She seems nice, but doesnt deserve it simply because her 'friends' abandonded her.
[snapback]20055[/snapback]

sorry but I deleted the poll, a poll is a bit rude, lets just hear everyones opinion :P