Author Topic: Explain this....  (Read 17766 times)

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« on: February 23, 2005, 04:43:59 PM »
oke it's like this my pc : 2.4 Ghz 512 DDR MB Ram 80 Gig hard drive
Video card:    GeForce 2 integrated GPU

So why can i play vampire bloodlines that has a half life 2 engine on my pc
and yesterday i tried half life 2 guess what it plays the goddamn game at highest graphical settings on 1024 X 768 i mean it just is not logical defies every law of PC it's just impossible it's not that i complain i mean it's great my pc can do that but it is just sooooo weird...........anyone care to explain if you don't believe me i will post screenshots if you wan't i dunno but give me a explanation or smt pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee lol
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
    • http://
Explain this....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 04:59:42 PM »
and this is worthy front page material because....? :blink:

Offline BzK

• ICQ Messenger - 122117799
    • MSN Messenger - flatleymike@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LoRdOfTeHDaNcE
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bzk04
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 05:02:27 PM »
It's not. ^_^

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 05:31:08 PM »
Video card:    GeForce 2 integrated GPU

and yesterday i tried half life 2 guess what it plays the goddamn game at highest graphical settings on 1024 X 768 i mean it just is not logical defies every law of PC it's just impossible it's not that i complain i mean it's great my pc can do that but it is just sooooo weird...........anyone care to explain if you don't believe me i will post screenshots if you wan't i dunno but give me a explanation or smt pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee lol
[snapback]19224[/snapback]

I am assuming you mean why can you not play vampire bloodlines.  Well even though it uses the same engine the programmers who did Vampires are obviously not as skilled at using the Half Life engine as the programmers who did Half Life.  So assume the former game will be less efficient in terms of game play.  Add that to your on board Geforce 2 piece of junk video card (no offense) and you might have a probelm.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 02:58:12 AM by Mo »

Offline Wobbles

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 07:44:15 PM »
You tell em, Mo!
I like to chew on things.

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 12:52:21 AM »
the integrated geforce GPU will have killed the performance.

just buy a spearate video card and you should be fine.

Offline Chichiri

• AOL Instant Messenger - Chichiri66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 01:18:32 AM »
Also Vampire: Bloodlines has a big ass memory leak. Which I'm guessing doesn't help much.
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 04:00:46 AM »
Video card:�?�  �?�  GeForce 2 integrated GPU

you got me wrong i can play vampire bloodlines and half life 2 and trust me Gashmo it didn't kill the performance i will post a screenshot later.. of half life 2
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 04:01:42 AM by Razor Blade »
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 09:28:51 AM »
You need to clear it up.

Do you mean HL2 runs smoother than VB?
Do you mean you can't play one at all but the other you can?

Elaborate.

~Celestial1
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 10:15:39 AM »
I have no idea what the point of this thread is anymore

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 11:06:29 AM »
Oke look i CAN play Bloodlines and Half Life 2 and yes Half Life 2 runs a bit smoother then bloodlines the point is normally i can't play these two games with a onboard GeForce 2....... so is this normal or not??

Offline Lance Ezekiel

• MSN Messenger - lanceeze@bigpond.net.au
    • View Profile
    • http://Here :lol:
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 11:29:56 AM »
how do you play sick game on your shity pc?
Is that what you mean????

I Will rule the down-underverse

co Leader of the Ã???ragon Monark Guardians (Ã???mG)

So, to recap, take drugs and sweat...  -420
Balls-Xen

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 11:55:14 AM »
how do you play sick game on your shity pc?
Is that what you mean????
[snapback]19270[/snapback]

It's only a shitty card....but if i can play half life on it i don't think it's shitty...............

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 01:15:45 PM »
the point is normally i can't play these two games with a onboard GeForce 2
[snapback]19269[/snapback]
I've got 420's copy of Bloodlines right here, and as he pointed out, it seems that you do, indeed, meet the minimum reqs.

From the bottom of the Vampire: Bloodlines box:

"Supported Chipsets for 98/ME/2000/XP

All NVIDIA GeForce Chipsets
"

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 03:02:24 PM »
Video card:    GeForce 2 integrated GPU

Nothing weird, the amount of extra power the new machines have usual gets sucked away by the os and all unneeded extra stuff on them. You don't gain much speed with a 3ghz cpu and 256mb vram compared to a 1.3ghz and a 64 vram pc. (highest thing I ever needed for a game to run it with evrything on, req windows anyway those games) But if you look at the difference between a 486 and a 386 then you know what improvements mean. The current improvements only add a very small percents (0,1% like for each) to the preformance of the pcs.

My pc is 5 years old, and runs anything I want. Last pc I ordered was 800mhz.

In short, it's not weird to run a game like hl2 on 1024x768 on that pc of you. Running on 1600x1200 with 32 bit and all graphics probably won't run well on it, but I doubt if you need that to play hl2.

And a load of poeple probably disagree with this, hardware manufacturers for sure ^_^

-Mel

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 04:35:46 PM »
man just tested half life on my pc because i wanna see. if i could run that i could run Guild wars but today stupid me saw the requirements (didn't think of it sooner LOL) lol minimum requirements needs a machine of 800mhz and video card of 32 mb vram.....lol  :D  can't wait untill guildwars come :D

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 05:23:16 PM »
Nothing weird, the amount of extra power the new machines have usual gets sucked away by the os and all unneeded extra stuff on them. You don't gain much speed with a 3ghz cpu and 256mb vram compared to a 1.3ghz and a 64 vram pc. (highest thing I ever needed for a game to run it with evrything on, req windows anyway those games) But if you look at the difference between a 486 and a 386 then you know what improvements mean. The current improvements only add a very small percents (0,1% like for each) to the preformance of the pcs.

My pc is 5 years old, and runs anything I want. Last pc I ordered was 800mhz.

In short, it's not weird to run a game like hl2 on 1024x768 on that pc of you. Running on 1600x1200 with 32 bit and all graphics probably won't run well on it, but I doubt if you need that to play hl2.

And a load of poeple probably disagree with this, hardware manufacturers for sure ^_^

-Mel
[snapback]19283[/snapback]

Yes. I disagree with it completely.  Saying that going from 64 megs of RAM to 512 Megs only adding 0.1 % perfomance is pure stupidity.
Plus I'm sure not everyone here would like to be limited to Windows 98.  Have you tried to run Windows XP on 64 megs of RAM?

also I used to convert large video files into mpeg 4 format.  I started doing this on a 800 mhz Athlon.  When i moved to a 2.0 ghz the performance increased by something like 500% how do you explain this? oh Operating system was the same on both machines.

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 08:08:26 PM »
Rofl, Dude. That *thery* is fucking insain. You couldent play HL 2 on a 64 meg machine if you tryed for starters it requires a minimum of 265(128 if you want it jumping every second even with graphics turned to nothing) And you need a minimum of 1.2GHz for any game on the shelves currently.

64Meg of VRAM<- is retarded, If your machine has 64Meg of VRAM you aint here and we have been imagining this person 'mel'.

Btw whats yer real name, Calling you 'Mel' Is disturbing for me, I dont talk to tran sexuals so this is difficult..

Xen.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 05:04:59 AM »
I know what ya mean by the difference from a 386 to a 486 I remember getting mine and being so quick to kill those buddies in Doom deathmatch across my serial cable.  Othewise ya lost me.  :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 05:06:20 AM by Meclar »

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 11:03:51 AM »
Yes. I disagree with it completely.  Saying that going from 64 megs of RAM to 512 Megs only adding 0.1 % perfomance is pure stupidity.
[snapback]19289[/snapback]
Not talking about ram, not talking about win98 and that 0,1% is ripped out it's context.. Also that 0,1% is a bit over it, I know that, and wonder why you did take it to the letter. Thing I try to say is that improvements they make now add very little to the performance compared to the past. Also they try to make poeple believe they need the fastest pc to do normal work.
64Meg of VRAM<- is retarded, If your machine has 64Meg of VRAM you aint here and we have been imagining this person 'mel'.

Btw whats yer real name, Calling you 'Mel' Is disturbing for me, I dont talk to tran sexuals so this is difficult..

Xen.
[snapback]19309[/snapback]
I really doubt that you would need about 256 vram to play hl2 normally, most poeple don't have that anyway. I didn't get some new games to run on 32 vram. But that's only 12,5% of that 256 and only for  some of the new games.

Also, I wouldn't know who would run around with a name 'Xen', or 'Wobbels', and you probably won't have problems to get that a name doesn't tells if your tran-sexual or whatever. Just, stupid question, stupid answer.

In my post I did make clear I was giving my opinion, and added that I know that some poeple disagree with it. Those replys are offensif and show that you can't read well (for Mo) or can't accept it that someone else has a other opinion than yourself about something (for Xen).

And if you can't agree with "who knows what", then maybe we can agree to disagree. Just don't start to flame.

And Zen, you're a ramp-tourist, and I know you're pround of it :P

-Mel

Offline BzK

• ICQ Messenger - 122117799
    • MSN Messenger - flatleymike@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LoRdOfTeHDaNcE
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bzk04
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 11:22:01 AM »
And Zen, you're a ramp-tourist, and I know you're pround of it :P
[snapback]19342[/snapback]

a what? :blink:

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 11:31:08 AM »
a what? :blink:
[snapback]19348[/snapback]
Eh, I think I forgot to translate that one :P

A disaster tourist (morbidly curious sightseer at the scene of a disaster)

Ramp in dutch is disaster, did forget it means something completly different in english.

-Mel

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2005, 02:59:48 PM »
Ok I'll make this short because it doesn't warrent much of my time.

Mel, quite frankly I do not appreciate you saying that I can not read well because I doubt that even Merrian Webster could understand anything that you write.
I took what you said litterally because you gave no indication that i should not.  

Also you didn't respond to my point about the 500% increase in performace for encoding MPEG4 video going from 800mhz to 2.0ghz.

Also I'd like to point out that my nwnmain.exe process normally uses about 200megs of memory.  Thats playing at 1600x1200 32bit video...Maybe you like playing at EGA resolutions but most people enjoy playing at high resolutions which would be impossible with 64meg.

Lastly I'd like to say again.  I will allow you to tell me I can not read when you start writing proper constructed English sentences.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »
Ok I'll make this short because it doesn't warrent much of my time.

Mel, quite frankly I do not appreciate you saying that I can not read well because I doubt that even Merrian Webster could understand anything that you write.
I took what you said litterally because you gave no indication that i should not. 

Also you didn't respond to my point about the 500% increase in performace for encoding MPEG4 video going from 800mhz to 2.0ghz.

Also I'd like to point out that my nwnmain.exe process normally uses about 200megs of memory.  Thats playing at 1600x1200 32bit video...Maybe you like playing at EGA resolutions but most people enjoy playing at high resolutions which would be impossible with 64meg.

Lastly I'd like to say again.  I will allow you to tell me I can not read when you start writing proper constructed English sentences.
[snapback]19358[/snapback]
You seems to have problems reading my english (if I may call it english :P, it's my 3th langue), but if you want to relpy then, at least take the time to read it, other poeple understand me. Also you can't do a converstation if one isn't listening to what the other says. The change you misunderstand something is pretty high then. The difference between vram and ram not really has anything to do with the build of my sentences for example.

Yes. I disagree with it completely.  Saying that going from 64 megs of RAM to 512 Megs only adding 0.1 % perfomance is pure stupidity.
Plus I'm sure not everyone here would like to be limited to Windows 98.  Have you tried to run Windows XP on 64 megs of RAM?
[snapback]19289[/snapback]
If you look at first post and this, you probably will see what I mean with "can't read" (don't take it litterally, I know you can read &lt;_&lt;). Nowhere I said 64ram to 512ram would add 0,1% performance. I did talk about 64 vram and didn't mention 512 ram. In my second post I added that that 0,1% might be a bit more and isn't not true for evrything.

An improvement from 800mhz to 2000mhz isn't a new improvment in my eyes, I mean things like that extra 200mhz they manage to get on a p4 3,6ghz and what they charge you for that small 200mhz extra compared to a 3,4ghz, it's ?125 (?>$) for 200mhz on a shop's pricelist here. Still, for 800 to 2000, 5 times faster seems me a lot, you can explain it? It's interesting if true or not ripped out of it's context. I know that certain processors like the p4 do better when it comes to encoding video, but 500% is too much to be caused by that and the higher hz.

Also, nwmain runs fine in godspire with high fps on 1600x1200 32 bit with 64 vram on a stupid laptop. Running nwserver.exe with 10-16 players on it + nwmain.exe on 1152x864 32 bits (64vram) + a toolset and some other stuff like winamp, firefox and photoshop, did run without lag on the nwserver on a 1200mhz pc (might have been 800mhz, not sure), 512 ram and desktop. Evrything ran perfectly exept nwmain, that was somewhat laggy, enough to make a mage duel too hard. But well, running that is probably impossible in your eyes. Just like hosting the old arivs (8-12 poeple) on a 166mhz linux-box. I'm also a bit surpized about that last, but it just ran it, that's all I know.

-Mel

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2005, 03:24:06 AM »
Sorry my head hurts from reading all that.  

hosted arivs on a pentium 166?

was it MMX enabled?
(thats a joke. Do not reply)

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2005, 02:58:42 AM »
Lol, Offensive. YOUR A FRICKING GUY... Wow, again people take shit way to seriously, The name Xen isnt a common name, granted. Mel is infact a real name but it BELONGS TO FEMALES, lol do you not see my point? Im just gonna call you perv mmk? I cant handle calling dudes by female names... also If we took time to read over your posts 10 times to get an ounce of sence out of it we would collaps with raging dizzy spells from our brain trying to translate than find any real scrap of sence in yer post. 0_0

Xen.

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2005, 03:08:08 AM »
Oh yeah, I have a fix for your problem to dude.. lol sorry:

Create a TXT doco, type this up:

start /low vampire.exe -console -heapsize XXXXXX

Now the XXXXXX Represents your RAM so seeing as you have 512 you would put:

start /low vampire.exe -console -heapsize 250000

Now save and name it vampire.txt, than once you have done that, RENAME it yet again vampire.bat  .  than locate your shortcut in teh Start menu or w/e and Right click and open properties and Replace the 'Target' with this line:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Vampire - Bloodlines\vampire.bat"

and waaaalaaaa you will now play nice and smooth (This dont mean go crazy wit teh settings your PC can handle what your PC can handle.) Also getting a NoCD Patch/Crack/exe/Mini-ISO would help alot.

Xen.

##EDIT##

Yeah Vampire B does leak Memory, thats why dis helps lots =P
Only real problem is that, I crank it using a MiniISO mounted wit Daemon also using this lil fix and it run smooth as silk.

Xen... Again
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 03:18:06 AM by Xen »

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Explain this....
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2005, 04:08:05 AM »
Xen... i sent you a pm reguarding the rude posts that you posted, it includes the rules on there, please just re-read them, thanks =)

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2005, 05:50:33 AM »
@Xen

Melisa is a female name, Mel can be used for both. And you probably didn't get this line in my other post:
stupid question, stupid answer
[snapback]19342[/snapback]
I really get your point as far there is one, and that you can't stand the name I use on nwn isn't my problem. Ow and in case you don't get it, I know the name itself isn't what you aim for. I'm just laughing a bit with your problem.

perv mmk?
[snapback]19414[/snapback]
Nice english, I really see why you can't read my posts without getting a headache. (please don't take it serieus :P)

-Mel

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Explain this....
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2005, 11:36:33 AM »
Perv - Perverted.  mmk - Okay (mmk) a lengthened response to emulate irritation.

Seriouse - To be strait up, mean what you say.

Also, What exacly is 'Mel' Short for, And its not just the name but female characters. You say you use it as a male name, but attach it to a female character im sorry if your intentions are not clear.

And Nathan, I know the rules =F And you loved it you told me on msn ;)

Xen.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 11:39:04 AM by Xen »