Author Topic: Team Arena  (Read 10711 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Team Arena
« on: February 04, 2005, 10:09:18 PM »
Hello all.  After days of trials and testing, I am pretty confident in the current state of the new team arena to advertise it you everyone here.  It's been a very long time since Godspire has had a working team arena.  Xen and myself have worked very hard (yes we are not as good with scripting as Talon is), to get it back to GodSpire.  Also many players have spent a lot of time testing it with us and putting up with all it's bugs, so thank you all.  

Here's a quick explanation of how to use the Team Arena.

- Teams must be even!
You can not start a team battle without have even teams. Meaning if there are 5 players on Red then there must be 5 players on Blue as well.  So take some time before hand to decide on even teams.  While you are inside the Arena you can view the status which team require extra players by pulling on the lever.  Here's a hint:  If it tells you that Red team requires 2 more players then 1 player from Blue defecting to Red will create even teams (- 1 Blue + 1 Red == +2 Red).  When teams are fair pull the lever once to indicate that your team is ready for battle.  At this point no one can leave or enter the team.  Once the other team has indicated that they are as well ready for battle, the match will begin.

-Healing is not recommended.  Although I am hesitant to say that healing is banned, I can say that I highly discourage it.  I do encourage teams to decide on a ruleset before the battle.  Mass Heal spells should definately not be allowed.

- Resurrection.  Same applies to raising dead as healing.  However the current Team Arena rules state that the battle is over once every player on one side has been killed once.  Therefore, raising dead teamates will allow for them to re-enter the battle but they will no longer have to be killed to decide the battle outcome.  Future version of the Arena may require that raised player be killed to win.

Major Bugs:  The most major known bug will only occur if the last player on a team crashes or otherwise logs of the server before being killed.  This will result in the match never ending and stranding everyone inside the Arena.  To fix this problem manually just kill one of your own teamates, this action should artificially end the match.

Please post comments and other bugs.
Thanks and have fun.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Team Arena
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 10:17:22 PM »
Major Bugs:  The most major known bug will only occur if the last player on a team crashes or otherwise logs of the server before being killed.  This will result in the match never ending and stranding everyone inside the Arena.  To fix this problem manually just kill one of your own teamates, this action should artificially end the match.

Please post comments and other bugs.
Thanks and have fun.
[snapback]17936[/snapback]
Maybe making an onbeat that loops tough the pc's in the area if the match is running, and checks if the number of pc's in one team is the same as in the other. If not ending the match. Just a suggestion, there might be better ways to do it. Like with OnClientLeave.

-Mel

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 11:17:14 PM »
Maybe making an onbeat that loops tough the pc's in the area if the match is running, and checks if the number of pc's in one team is the same as in the other. If not ending the match. Just a suggestion, there might be better ways to do it. Like with OnClientLeave.

-Mel
[snapback]17937[/snapback]

My mission was to never use onheartbeat scripts.  I am using onclientleve however it doesn't seem to be working as it should.  Maybe I can't use ExecuteScript with the ExitingPlayer as a target since the PC is gone...dunno...I'll look into it.  Nwscript sux if anyone is wondering :P

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Team Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:29:13 PM »
My mission was to never use onheartbeat scripts.  I am using onclientleve however it doesn't seem to be working as it should.  Maybe I can't use ExecuteScript with the ExitingPlayer as a target since the PC is gone...dunno...I'll look into it.  Nwscript sux if anyone is wondering :P
[snapback]17945[/snapback]
I also try to use as less as possible onbeats. But as you noticed, that onclientleave don't works correctly. I used an onbeat for my duelmanager on arivs. It worked and didn't load much. For your teamarea you can make a even smaller check, shouldn't make problems.

Just loop trough the pc's ad check their team. At the end compare the both numbers of the two teams, if it's not equal, 1 left. And if 1 red and 1 blue crash about the same time things just keep running :P

And nwnscript sux, it doesn't has arrays for example and bugs never are far away.

Anyway, 5:30am.

-Mel

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 05:30:47 AM »
Heal and Mass Heal spells are banned from Team Arena and will not function there.

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
Team Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 12:03:22 PM »
brief note from my other thread. im just describing the preferences of other players on othe rpopular team pvp servers :-
- even teams not essential to start a game. however, new players cannot join a smaller team
- healing allowed but no resting is allowed in arena
- arena should have multi levels with some obtacles (eg: maps in BoW or nwknights)
- play should occur continuously so that players do not need to organise teams before starting. u just go in and fight and keep fighting.

end of 2 cents.

EDIT - sory meant no new player would be able to join the bigger team lol.i think nwknights has an auto switch feature to rebalance teams upon death, but it is designed to occur randomly.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 07:35:02 PM by gashmo »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 02:42:01 PM »
brief note from my other thread. im just describing the preferences of other players on othe rpopular team pvp servers :-
- even teams not essential to start a game. however, new players cannot join a smaller team
- healing allowed but no resting is allowed in arena
- arena should have multi levels with some obtacles (eg: maps in BoW or nwknights)
- play should occur continuously so that players do not need to organise teams before starting. u just go in and fight and keep fighting.

end of 2 cents.
[snapback]17989[/snapback]

Sounds like hack and slash pvp.

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 04:44:04 PM »
Sounds like a really strange idea. Gashmo, just think; not all servers will be the same and not everyone has the same ideas.

One team having a like +5 player advantage? And no one being able to join the smaller team? Holy cow, 5v105!

Healing in TvT? Alright, I'll go make a cleric with tons of heals, greater restorations, ressurections, and harms. Pop goes the other team!

What would the obstacles do? They don't do anything other than look pretty.

Endless TvT? It ends by the time people get bored of TvTing and go back to 1v1.

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
Team Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 07:36:44 PM »
heh np i agree you can have different servers for different types of pple.

re: healer clerics: yeah they are very painful when they appear in battle. but a good mage or wm can take them down. they r priority targets. (in nwknights its a bit lame because they broke spellcasting so mages cant cast fast enough).

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 10:27:53 AM »
uhm well as the TvT was on gamesoldiers you couldn't be 5v105, prolly a restriction of 3 more on one team as a max. Never was badly balanced either, I used a cleric dual kama wielder, and killed everyone, but when the veterans came on with their resistance I got like 5 dmg and was pwned :(
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 12:53:51 PM »
Just a question, but how are the no healing/resurrection and hide rules going to be enforced in there! If there is no sents present, or DM's in team pvp, who is going to enforce the rules when players disobey them? The other day I played 2v2 lvl 20 team pvp with some people, and we basically won, until the last opponent started hiding running shooting, and immediately hiding again. Anything that can be done?

Offline Blood Angel

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 01:00:14 PM »
usually you just script it so that when a person casts a banned spell a text going 'this spell has been banned' comes over your head and no spell is cast.
And when they fly away,
But still,

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 01:13:33 PM »
Is there a way for a script to adjust stealth mode to only be able to be used every 6 seconds? I'm sure there's a way to do it, but not sure if a script could do that.

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 02:42:10 PM »
umm
not really. as far as I know.

Offline Celestial1

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »
I figured as much, but I'm sure there must be some way to do it without a player yelling at another...

Probably a NwN file editting would do that...

~Celestial

Offline Blood Angel

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 03:52:35 PM »
mel has a script like that, irritating that it autounhides, but you can only hide every 6 secs
And when they fly away,
But still,

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
Team Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 08:48:04 AM »
hiding is a fun skill

but for team pvp i do not think it is necessary for the server to be popular
imho, players in TvT usually just want to come in, bash each other to bits and go home
(vent frustrations of student life etc etc)
they do not really want to find their character having no hope at all against a certain build.

imho, just enable full truesight.