Author Topic: Would you agree to live your life in a robot body?  (Read 7917 times)

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
Would you agree to live your life in a robot body?
« on: February 02, 2005, 05:23:56 AM »
They now have the technology to connect your brain with electrodes to a full robot body and have it move around. Would you agree to transplant your brain to such a robot body?

ps- i found  alink to the technology web article describing the technology but i lost the link.. but it works!

let's assume you :-
Can have all the sensory feelings you want - or it can be fed into your brain like software
Will be 20x stronger in strength than a human body
You will never grow fat
You will be fed nurtient fluid, but you can make it taste like anything you like
Your brain will age but ur body will not

would you? wouldn't you?

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 07:43:41 AM »
Your brain will age but ur body will not
[snapback]17601[/snapback]

presicely why you shouldnt do it, besides, like james said, thats not possible, the person would die in the opperation from loss of too much blood, and severing the link between the brain and the rest of your nervous system would have uber bad effects on your body and your brain would likely die right away.

-Lord Elessar

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 08:05:01 AM »
The whole nerve system runs down through your back, and if you for instance break one on those bones your paralysed for life. So if they want to cut the brain from those nerves then they better be extremely convincing. Also a robot body would suck, we have very flexible limbs and the technoligy just won#t be as good as a real body.
The brain ages, which means you die sooner or later anyway.
The real thing is how to store the memory of a person and then transplanting them into a new brain, because other bodypart/organs can be cloned, so you could get a new young body anyway, but a method to transplant a persons memory into another brain isn't really known.
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 10:10:42 AM »
i think it woul dbe easier to keep the brain from aging instead of having to keep the whole body from againg.. so an active brain alone can live for .. 200 years maybe?.

Perhaps we don't detach the brain and spinal column from the body and just stick the whole body int he robot?

I would prefer to be  in the robot cos you woul dbe so much stronger and bigger than a man. You could be a 40 metre tall goliath ! with missile arrays, EMP generators and AP railguns!

You could even live in space (for a bit).
You could be made to be indestructible!

EDIT - this edit answers angle's post 2 posts below lol (save space). of course a robot can love!!! robots have feelings too.. if u watch evangelion, gundam, robotech etc etc  yeah robots have feelings (even BattleAngel Alita). bigger feelings than humans....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 08:33:20 PM by gashmo »

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 12:56:04 PM »
Lemme think what it takes to keep a brain alive without body....
You need the right temperature, correct resources, it has to be well protected, needs to 'float' in a kind of liquid, ect. (the nerves in your back are actualy part of your brain too) Besides, you won't be able to feel like you did before, also that technology isn't far at the moment. You won't be able to connect all the nerves, it's way too complicated and there are way too many to connect. A computer is easy and primitive compared to a brain. And how about loving someone as robot? And what if you want a child?

You won't get older anyway, most old poeple just lose their mind when they grow very old, 95 years and a clear mind is very, very rare. (Probably will even mess up faster in a robot) Your machine will need to get fixed too, a machine doesn't runs for decenia without it gets maintained. Also, where the power to run it will come from? A generator on your back? Even that won't make it. (nuclear reactors need cooling, forget about those too, exept if you want to be a whole ship or so)

Learning thing will take as much time too, you're brain isn't a high speed harddisk. You may notice that when you try to learn a lot and remeber it in just 1 day. And if you would try to store the data on a disk and acces it when you need it, you won't be able to use it to slove problems like you meet in mathematics, science or langues.

You won't gain strenght either, if you want to keep the same precision as your body has you won't even get the same strenght. Robots I did work with did look like they could pickup a car with ease, but those robots couldn't even bend a bar I could with my bare hands (and I'm not strong, really). I'm talking about robots that have more precision than a human hand btw. A crane has more power, but try to pickup a glass water with something like that.

The idea to be a war machine is outdated too. In wars like they run now you'll be a useless piece of old metal. Take irac, it's not like the "enemy" there is powerfull, or highly advanced. Still, the war isn't over there.

I think the idea could be used improve the interface to your pc (mouse,keyboard,screen,speakers), without cutting trough your nerves. It also is a great help for poeple who lost a leg or something simular. But to improve your life's quality as healthy person, it's no good, I rather would search biologic solutions for that. I would never want a other body anyway, I'm very happy with the one I have. And it's superior to anything they can make right now.

In short, nope, I wouldn't agree to life in a robot body :P
And dream on about the idea.

(sorry for my bad "english", I really should take course for it)

-Mel

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 06:34:51 PM »
Wow Gashmo, although some people don't like you, an' I don'y know why, you come up with some good topics an' such to talk about.

Offline Angle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 07:17:31 PM »
who would want to be a robot anyway..no love or anything so sad.. maybe gashmo is one.
Clanless once again

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 07:19:08 PM »
who would want to be a robot anyway..no love or anything so sad.. maybe gashmo is one.
[snapback]17675[/snapback]

LoL... He sure does come up with some weird, but definately conversationally progressive topics!