Author Topic: Shadow Dancers: HiPS  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shadow Dancers: HiPS
« on: January 25, 2005, 11:15:50 PM »
I was thinking about the HiPS problem; how people are hiding more often than they should per round.
My problem is that if a person wished to hide at the end of the current round then hide again at the start of the next round this would mean hiding before the 6 seconds is up.
Up until this point if someone had said to me "I hide so soon cause it was at the end and start of another round"  I would be convinced.

At first for a solution I was going to suggest that we have  2 hides per 12 seconds and from that last hide it has to be 12 seconds before hiding again to compensate for hiding at the end and start of the 2 rounds.  But then again saying hide once every 6 seconds makes it easier for a Sentinel to count and better for the SD character, they won't have such a greater time to hide again, of course.

So until I hear otherwise I will refer to the hiding rule as hiding once every 6 seconds NOT once per round (which is far more difficult to estimate for a person watching a duel). No exceptions.

I'm not sure about other Sentinels but once the hide has been deactivated I begin to count.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 07:04:26 AM »
I was thinking about the HiPS problem; how people are hiding more often than they should per round.
My problem is that if a person wished to hide at the end of the current round then hide again at the start of the next round this would mean hiding before the 6 seconds is up.
Up until this point if someone had said to me "I hide so soon cause it was at the end and start of another round"  I would be convinced.

At first for a solution I was going to suggest that we have  2 hides per 12 seconds and from that last hide it has to be 12 seconds before hiding again to compensate for hiding at the end and start of the 2 rounds.  But then again saying hide once every 6 seconds makes it easier for a Sentinel to count and better for the SD character, they won't have such a greater time to hide again, of course.

So until I hear otherwise I will refer to the hiding rule as hiding once every 6 seconds NOT once per round (which is far more difficult to estimate for a person watching a duel). No exceptions.

I'm not sure about other Sentinels but once the hide has been deactivated I begin to count.
[snapback]16743[/snapback]

hmmmmm we should all watch this, but remember people slip up sometimes and click the stealth button a little too early. my idea is make sure a attack quite a bit before i go back into stealth. its good to know how many attacks you get per round.

-Lord Elessar

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 07:18:44 AM »
Just take it like this. They hide and when they get visible they have to stay visible for 6 seconds. At least.

I think that would be clear enough. I'm going to see if there can be a change to the books to include this. Suggestion are welcome too :)

-Mel

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 11:57:17 AM »
well when a hider hides and then appears in one round and hits, then when the round ends he's still able to hide real fast because the next round just started. Also you can hide for 3 seconds and then appear for 3 secs then hide again because if you think about it your still only hiding once per round.... just something to think about.

anyway I need some info:
if a hider has lets say 120 hide and I have 101 spot and am elf, I get a 101 + 1d20 or as I've heard a lot, do I get and automatic 20 roll so I get 121 against his 120 hide and spot him? I have no idea how these hide/move silently and spot/listen skills work.
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 02:17:28 PM »
well when a hider hides and then appears in one round and hits, then when the round ends he's still able to hide real fast because the next round just started. Also you can hide for 3 seconds and then appear for 3 secs then hide again because if you think about it your still only hiding once per round.... just something to think about.

anyway I need some info:
if a hider has lets say 120 hide and I have 101 spot and am elf, I get a 101 + 1d20 or as I've heard a lot, do I get and automatic 20 roll so I get 121 against his 120 hide and spot him? I have no idea how these hide/move silently and spot/listen skills work.
[snapback]16842[/snapback]
I just say, 6 seconds visible. About changing the books you better look on the arivs board atm. In short it comes to, won't be easy to change the way things are now. It's not isolated to hips either.

Also, I think it's 1d20, but I'm not sure. If you like a spot char the thing to get is at least 120 spot and elf, then they still can hide from you (that's why I don't think 20), but you'll spot them almost always.

-Mel