Author Topic: Global Annoucement  (Read 32798 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:25:16 PM »
This is an announcement to everyone on GS.

If you plan on casting WoF (Word of Faith) on any of my chars except Mo, please do not bother asking me for a duel.

Also if you are a hider, please do not challenge me to a duel.

*thinks of lame tactics*

If you plan on using Hellball as a means to auto knock me down to take advantage of flat footness...please do not challenge me to a duel.

Also if you are a cleric and spam SoV (Storm of Vengence) more than 3 times i will abort the duel.  You clerics lag the server with these rediculous AoEs.  If you put your hopes on people rolling 1s then you might as well find a new tactic as auto fail will probably be an enabled options on servers after the next patch.

Offline Ludo

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 10:24:12 PM »
word.

-Ludo

Offline Anarki

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 11:03:50 AM »
Preach it, brotha'!
Who needs narrative coherence, or even literacy, anyway? If you can dead-lift 300 pounds, you're the man!

Offline Boo

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 11:10:08 AM »
Woah! I agree :D...
Sweden isn't so bad. We have IKEA..And..IKEA[/color]

Offline kanrei

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 08:46:59 PM »
I think I may be guilty of the hellball thingie when I have dev crit. :unsure: sorry.  Good thing I dont use a player much I suppose.  lol

Offline kanrei

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 08:53:09 PM »
BTW...
You cannot stack SoV more than 3 times I believe.  Every other time just makes it darker, but doesnt add more damage.  And as a dm, I may start booting those spamming clerics, whether in a duel or not.  Dunno, lemme know what you think.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 06:40:18 AM »
Firsty, these are all legitimate tactics - it is just mos decision not to duel people who use them (which i disagree with).

1) Word of Faith  
i)can be removed by something as simple as a lesser dispel. People are only to happy to get a few caster levels for their "truestrike" and what-not, so why cant they get a few more and use dispel.
ii) Only really screws up those with a lot of dex ac. So your fault. I have a wisdom based character with uncanny dodge and blind fighting, and i can take a WoFing and survive.

2) Hiders (hiding more than 1 time every 6 seconds is CHEATING)
i) High spot counters hiders hide skill. Its nearly impossible for hiders to hide against me. For others I just cast either a Word of Faith on them, or simply cast improved invisibility/displacement on myself, and then laugh as they fail to hit me. It appears that the only people who winge about hiders are those who dont even add spot to their items - I have no sympathy for them.
ii) Hiders (dex whores as they are) usually have a crazy low str. A simple "iron horn", or usually even a successful "improved knockdown" (they all seem to be halflings for some reason) will usually leave them way open to your assault.

3) Hellball
i) One of the main useful features of hellball IS the knockdown effect. It will ONLY knock you down if you take more than 50hp of damage - so you can either take a few energy resist feats to counter it - or simply cast some kind of energy resist - and hey presto - no more knockdown. I wont expect to be seeing anyone who complains about it using this spell themselves, obviously :)

4) Storm of Vengeance
i) Takes time to cast - its not a free action.
ii) Is just the same as any other AoE
iii) Certain Builds are immune to stun - as are casters who cast certain spells
iv) Gets COMPLETELY dispelled by any high level casters dispel, or in fact a low level caster with "gust of wind".
v) Can be walked out of
vi) Is autofail on a 1 which will be removed in the next patch
vii) Does not lag the server - but does lag some peoples graphics cards - so be considerate as to how many times you cast it. In all honesty, its suicide casting it more than a couple of times anyway - not to mention pointless against anyone who is either ranged/part-caster. And as Mo said - you will suck when autofail is removed with the next patch.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 06:42:27 AM by Talon »

Offline Lance Ezekiel

• MSN Messenger - lanceeze@bigpond.net.au
    • View Profile
    • http://Here :lol:
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 06:50:07 AM »
i) High spot counters hiders hide skill. Its nearly impossible for hiders to hide against me. For others I just cast either a Word of Faith on them, or simply cast improved invisibility/displacement on myself, and then laugh as they fail to hit me. It appears that the only people who winge about hiders are those who dont even add spot to their items - I have no sympathy for them.
ii) Hiders (dex whores as they are) usually have a crazy low str. A simple "iron horn", or usually even a successful "improved knockdown" (they all seem to be halflings for some reason) will usually leave them way open to your assault.

All hiders hide about 3 times in 6 seconds. thay just hide hit hide os dous this mean i can stone them for this?

I Will rule the down-underverse

co Leader of the Ã???ragon Monark Guardians (Ã???mG)

So, to recap, take drugs and sweat...  -420
Balls-Xen

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 07:00:15 AM »

All hiders hide about 3 times in 6 seconds. thay just hide hit hide os dous this mean i can stone them for this?
It is a cheat, so yes.
However, many of them are unaware that it is cheating - please point this out to them before you get all macho on them :D.

If people continue to hide in this way, I shall make a "hide item" which they must use in order to hide - which will mean its not even a free action. In fact - i might do that anyway... hmmmm..... *brain whirs*

Offline AngelsWings

• MSN Messenger - angelswings9@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 08:22:50 AM »
Good idea Talon   :D    "hide item", you and Xen are my favourite DM, you surprise me everytime.... :blink:
I think a common probelm are hiders that run a lot.....run away and hide  :o    no chance for a meele char.
Its crazy, in the end of the duel u had run everywhere......lol
U can create a "guards and rogues" module   lol

Amra
Coucil's member of Divine Exaltation
Princess of the Ã???�mG

Angel - Amra [/span]
[span style=\'color:orange\']�?�§�?�§TSoGS�?�§�?�§

-Melisa: "mm"

Offline Lord_Aiden

• MSN Messenger - DJ_LiquidIce@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - acp3983
    • View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 03:03:45 PM »
It will ONLY knock you down if you take more than 50hp of damage - so you can either take a few energy resist feats to counter it - or simply cast some kind of energy resist - and hey presto - no more knockdown.

That functionality doesn't quite work.  Against people that I know to start duels with hellball, my first buff is always energy buffer.  Even when having energy buffer up, which causes me to take no damage from hellball, I still get knocked down.  If this is an intended feature of the spell, it's not working.
A.K.A. Xorin - Dragon Archer of the Marauders
And to the non-pvp world: Marius, Keeper of Lore, Council Member of the Necromantic Tower.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

-Confucius, The Confucian Analects

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

-Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

It's always best in the long run to be what you are. It isn't proper to behave as if you were more, but it isn't good to behave as if you were less, either... The whole problem seems to be finding out exactly what you really are.

-David Eddings

You can have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power.

-Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 08:11:28 PM »
Talon's useful tips would be helpful if

a) Lesser dispell didn't remove all my buffs
B) i wasted 2 feats for knockdown and improved knockdown
c) I wasted valuable skill points on listen and spot instead of disc and tumble

for the record my strength fighter who has 1 dex ac is quite affected by being flat foot.

:P

Like he said it's my decision...I prefer fights where I can actually see my opponent.  I'm sure thats not much to ask for lol

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 03:57:15 AM »

for the record my strength fighter who has 1 dex ac is quite affected by being flat foot.

Like he said it's my decision...I prefer fights where I can actually see my opponent.  I'm sure thats not much to ask for lol
Lesser dispel should only be removing 1 buff (as an AoE) if any (as targetted).

I have heared about the behaviour of it removing a few buffs in one go on the NWN forums, but have never actually seen it myself.
I suppose it could be part of the same bug that screws up other spell DCs?

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Global Annoucement
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 06:33:31 PM »

(remeber, all my opinion and no offence)

Not all characters are allround fighters, more than normal if you max them out for 1 type of duel. And some classes are simply better for beeing allround than others. It's just wrong if you don't want to duel or complain to others that have somthing that can kill you. In your case you could get Mo instead of Ribs for a fight against a cleric spamming sov's. (turning graphics lower can help too for "lags", I run on a almost 5 years old computer and I have no problems whit sov's) If the other you dueled is fair he will not be lauching at you for killing you easy whit sov's/wof/acid-sheat if you're a str fighter.

I don't count cheating on hide (6sec rule) or any other rulebreaking as somthing that can happen in a fair fight. Also, if you notice you're oppent can't defend himself against somthing that makes he has no change to win at all. You better don't use it. If the other has 30 ac ... or 250hp ... you can't help you beat him easy, but if you just cast a few sov's or acid-sheat and wait till your oppent drop death, you're doing wrong.

It's all too much about winning for some poeple. As long you did make a good fight, there is no problem, no?

A duel needs 2 fair players. And the limitations on skills, items, feats, ... are there to make a little challance on making and useing a character.  

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 08:04:49 PM »
Also, if you notice you're oppent can't defend himself against somthing that makes he has no change to win at all. You better don't use it.
I very much agree.  I have characters that can use WoF or balagarn's horn or similar annoying spells.  If a person I am fighting is not able to defend against these spells, then I don't use them.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't use them against someone without remove blindness/spell mantle.  This means that I won't use them if it 100% disables them and makes them unable to respond.  If you, for instance, WoF my strength fighter, you're not gonna hurt him too much.  Sure I'll be a little bit easier to hit, but I'm still going to be pounding on you just as much as I would without it.  An arcane archer who's hitting on every shot isn't too hurt by a balagarn's horn burst every few rounds, because when they *are* standing up, they're doing close to 100 damage a round (at least mine does).

Basically what I'm saying, like Mel said, game balance can only be enforced by scripting and server rules to a point, the rest relys on the consideration we have for our fellow players.

Now on the other side of that, I will *almost* never complain about someone's tactics.  I say if it's in the game, use it against me... but don't complain when I respond in kind.

If I know your character type and refuse to duel you.. well that will rarely if ever happen, but if it does it's only because I know I have little if any defense against you with my current build.  Most of the time I'll still duel you anyway.

The *only* issue related to this I really run into... if you're going to cast WoF on me and then silence yourself... well dont' get all pissy and call *ME* cheap when I turn around and remove blindness instead of letting you pound on me... (ok.. so that only happened once).

PvP in Neverwinter nights is very much Rock/Paper/Scissors... No matter how often you win, there's always a build out there that's gonna beat you.  And it's quite likely someone you've killed will be able to beat them.  Every build has its strengths and weaknesses, and few are universally uber.

Only real thing I can't stand is stealing someone's build.  If you can't use your own mind to come up with something unique on your own, don't pvp.  Sure there are a lot of mroe obvious builds taht are popular, but when you notice someone's kickin ass out there, don't try to rip off what they've come up with.. that's just really lame.
And to the non-pvp world: Marius, Keeper of Lore, Council Member of the Necromantic Tower.

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

It's always best in the long run to be what you are. It isn't proper to behave as if you were more, but it isn't good to behave as if you were less, either... The whole problem seems to be finding out exactly what you really are.

-David Eddings

You can have power over people as long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power.

Offline Anarki

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2004, 01:38:02 AM »
Only real thing I can't stand is stealing someone's build.  If you can't use your own mind to come up with something unique on your own, don't pvp.  Sure there are a lot of mroe obvious builds taht are popular, but when you notice someone's kickin ass out there, don't try to rip off what they've come up with.. that's just really lame.
Can't agree with that more.

I mean...if you're going to rip off someone's idea, at least give the original creator credit...maybe mention them in your character description.

That's the main reason I become uber-angry when someone with the EXACT class levels appears before me, and starts to ask alll sorts of annoying questions like..."So how much taunt do you add?" or "What spells do you use?" etc.

Be original! That's how you make a name for yourself...be creating something unique.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 01:42:41 AM by Anarki »
Who needs narrative coherence, or even literacy, anyway? If you can dead-lift 300 pounds, you're the man!

Offline bus driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2004, 02:18:56 AM »
I'm sorry but i think it is so sad and stupid to claim somone stole *your* build..........theres nothing worse then hearing people bitch and moan about people *stealing* builds it pisses me off......NWN DOESENT REVOLVE ROUND *YOU*..........so all the people claming they made a certain build or someone stole there build should get royaly bitch slaped.

-Sorry for the anti rant  

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 03:53:14 AM »
Hey, when I've been PvPing for over 2 years now in NwN, I make a build I have *never* seen before, and the next day I see three other people with the same build, do you *really* think that's coincidence?

We all know of standard builds and such that float around, and sometimes there are a few new ideas introduced, but I currently use an archer build I have yet to see anyone else even attempt, because it's not one that really comes to mind when you think of archers.  However it's become very effective.

When using this build I often get asked what classes I have.. usually I don't answer.  If I did I guarantee you I'd see a copy of it show up.. and yes that's stealing someone's build.

There are 11 base classes and 11 prestige classes.  This gives roughly 4862 possible permutations of class combinations.  This does NOT however factor in level combinations OR race, which I consider a part of a unique build (race to a lesser extent).  That calculation was way more complex than I wanted to go through for this post, but trust me, it exponentially increases the number of possible builds.. and the level spread of classes dramatically influences the build as well.

For Example (SoU example):
18 wizard 2 barbarian: Caster build
18 Barbarian 2 Wizard: Melee build

My calculations count both as the same build.. you can see that even based on this, the possible permutations are more likely double what I came up with.

Given the size of the community on Godspire, the regulars in particular, and the number of people that use very similar builds, it is *very* possible to come up with an entirely unique build to our server, not to mention the D&D rules are designed to allow an extreme variety of possible characters to allow each person to develop a character unique to themselves.

In fact Taffy himself told me that my build was "a bold idea."  Which I doubt he would have said had he seen it before.

So don't even give me that "you couldn't possibly have a unique build" crap.  I'm sure somewhere someone else did something similar to the unique builds I've come up with, but they haven't brought them to godspire, and Godspire is what I'm concerned with.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 03:57:47 AM by Lord_Aiden »

-David Eddings

Offline bus driver

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2004, 04:37:09 AM »

Given the size of the community on Godspire, the regulars in particular, and the number of people that use very similar builds, it is *very* possible to come up with an entirely unique build to our server, not to mention the D&D rules are designed to allow an extreme variety of possible characters to allow each person to develop a character unique to themselves.

New/unique maybe but do they work in PVP i dout it there is very little if any new builds (pvp ones).

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2004, 12:13:18 PM »
First: this forum strays from the topic so very easily <_<

From someone who is farthest from original, me, I thank bus for pointing out that "builds" don't have copyright laws.

As I stated in another post that it is always good to start with the basics and I'm doin' just that and until I know what combinations are somewhat compatible I think it's appropriate to use builds that have been done before. However due credit is always recommended and practiced (If only I know who owned the build....(sarcasm)).

What's even more silly is I get asked about my characters and I know they have been done before and are common.

What good are ya at making characters if ya can't do a "pure" leveled character and kick ass?

Certainly it doesn't take skill to use the spells mentioned above but to fight against is something to be said. The same goes for SDs. little talent invovled in making one but hell if you can beat them the better you are.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 01:48:39 PM »
That's why every one of my builds has a built-in weakness.

That way, when someone askes what my build is and they attempt to recreate it I just grab one of my other duelers that exploits the builds weakness.

It helps to have a dozen duelers or so on hand for this type of situation.

Actually, right now I have more like 8 different active duelers and Throbblefoot has 3 or 4, so... yea a dozen.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Global Annoucement
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 02:38:36 PM »
Copy things like class levels, tactics, skill amounts, feats ... are ok, evryone does copy a little bit from others, I doubt if you were the first one to add tumble on a mage for ac whit a class lvl monk or saves whit a class lvl pala. Or if you were the first to use the wisdom bonus on a cleric for ac whit a level monk or for ab whit zen archery. Or if you were the first whit using iron-horn, hellball, knockdown, hide or wof to get hits on the other. Or ... It starts to be bad if the other goes to far whit it. But what is too far? You should find out this for yourself.

I give it a little try to make my point about it.
If the other has more than 4 of those I see it as going to far:
1) same levels
2) same stats
3) same skills
4) same feats
5) same way of main attack
6) same way of using skills
7) same item property's
8) same combinations of spells/attacks in a duel

So, if the char isn't the same, I still think someone can go to far, and if the char is (almost) the same, I still can think it's not going to far. There is only one thing I can't stand. Using exactly the same looks and/or names. That's just odd/sick.

Offline AngelsWings

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 03:08:35 PM »
People on GS are becaming everyday better and better..... :D  but the negative point of this improve is yours, Melisa    :(    ("u have hit the nails on the head"  :D  thx Talon for this funny expression)
We cant stop this problem...people see levels in the players list of the server and everyone try to make a new (similar) char.
I think the problem is the game which needs new prestige class like D&D because all current class are tested.....
Almost every point in your list has been tested
In future i will not say my chars builds and we all must follow this rule....to preserve the fun
Angel - Amra [/span]

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 04:24:56 PM »
We could always include the new community prestige classes  :o

????

Offline Lord_Aiden

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2004, 04:42:39 PM »
New/unique maybe but do they work in PVP i dout it there is very little if any new builds (pvp ones).
That's my point exactly, the truly unique builds are the ones that when you hear them your first questions is "why the hell would you want that?" You don't *expect* these builds to be decent in PvP.  They do not fit the preconcieved notions for the class.  I've gotten this reactoin many times.. then people see the character in action and it's duplicated.

I am fully confident that any given class combination can be decent in PvP, only exception is some few pure builds.  Hell, I think Taffy even made a viable Harper Scout pvper.

What good are ya at making characters if ya can't do a "pure" leveled character and kick ass?

Because just picking one class and leveling it to 40 takes no skill or imagination, it's the same thing as continuously clicking "recommended."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:44:15 PM by Lord_Aiden »

-David Eddings

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 09:09:13 PM »
Because just picking one class and leveling it to 40 takes no skill or imagination, it's the same thing as continuously clicking "recommended."

Does this account for the nameless people who come to GS and click recommend? Are they all considered "kick ass" because they click recommend? I don't think so. A "pure" leveled fighter can be creative as anything else. Just take a look at all the weapons they can have access to. Whether or not they are good in PvP goes back to what bus said.

And asking "why the hell would you want that?" is expressing what I mean about "pure" leveled characters. You expect them to be boring yet of those out there of the best of the best has taken the time to make strong "pure" characters.

Offline AngelsWings

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2004, 06:06:51 AM »
We could always include the new community prestige classes  :o

????
I havent CEP, but i think Talon will not authorize the CEP because GS is "All Version Compatible" and few people have it....... :(
Bioware is working for a new expansion, right? i hope it will be in shops early   :D  
Angel - Amra [/span]

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2004, 12:03:11 PM »
I don't think they are working on a new expansion...or am i wrong?

Offline Ludo

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 01:02:38 PM »
They said HotU was the last expansion.

-Ludo

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Global Annoucement
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 01:53:32 PM »
We could always include the new community prestige classes  :o

????
I havent CEP, but i think Talon will not authorize the CEP because GS is "All Version Compatible" and few people have it....... :(
Bioware is working for a new expansion, right? i hope it will be in shops early   :D
No new expansion from Bioware, though the CEP 2 expansion is in production.

Bioware is considering "digital downloads", where they will make new official campaigns that you can download for a small price. These campaigns will feature new content (creatures, placeables, etc) that will be released to everyone through patches.

That's as close as they will get to another expansion for NWN.

I am personally waiting for CODI and DLA to release their campaigns/HAK packs. Especially CODI because I'm a big Planescape fan.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 01:54:17 PM by 420 »