Author Topic: Computer problem  (Read 11286 times)

Offline CABAZON

• View Profile
    • http://
Computer problem
« on: January 22, 2005, 09:11:08 AM »
So I'm building a computer here. I have everything there and stuff, I plug in the monitor and I don't get a signal.

Feel free to suggest things and ask questions, as long as it isn't
A) Is the monitor plugged in (Because I'm not that retarded)
B) Is the video card seated properly (because it is)
C) Change your bios (because I can't even fucking get into it)
D) Try taking X things out and starting with only X things in because I've tried just about everything in that category.

Anyone know of a solution to my 700 dollar problem?

I'm using the power rangers to steal bandwidth from 10,000 people in florida.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 12:27:50 PM »
So I'm building a computer here. I have everything there and stuff, I plug in the monitor and I don't get a signal.

Feel free to suggest things and ask questions, as long as it isn't
A) Is the monitor plugged in (Because I'm not that retarded)
B) Is the video card seated properly (because it is)
C) Change your bios (because I can't even fucking get into it)
D) Try taking X things out and starting with only X things in because I've tried just about everything in that category.
Anyone know of a solution to my 700 dollar problem?
[snapback]16194[/snapback]
What monitor, what video card, what mainboard, does the monitor says 'no signal' or it's just staying blank or off? Does the computer itself starts? Did it work before, and if so, what did work, everythiung or just a few things?

This may include thing from "A B C D", but it may have tip you can use:
If it even doesn't shows a screen where normally the bios should show up, then you should check if you have all basic components installed, like ram, cpu. (you may try to place the ram in a other slot) If you didn't forget power lines, some new graphic cards require a hardisk sized powersupply as they can't take enough power from the mainboard, and the atx plug to the mainboard itself check that too. Also try to remove unneeded parts from the system, like mouse, sound card, ethernet, harddisk, cdrom station, ram (if you have two or more modules), cpu (if you have two or more cpu's), ect. But not the fan or so... Just put the basic to get a bios screen. (without that you're nowhere)

If it still doesn't do anything try to test the hardware in a other pc. If it's brand new stuff you may try to ask the one who sold you it for help.

Some more information about the hardware would help a lot to slove it too. At the moment I know nothing but "no screen, no bios".

-Mel

Offline Chichiri

• AOL Instant Messenger - Chichiri66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Computer problem
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 12:46:17 PM »
Also, make sure you didn't lose a pin on the moniter cable
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Computer problem
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 08:01:36 PM »
Also, make sure you didn't lose a pin on the moniter cable
[snapback]16220[/snapback]

that doesnt matter, my mointor is missing 3 of em it just messed with the colours
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 08:15:35 PM by nathan »

Offline Chichiri

• View Profile
    • Email
Computer problem
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »
It depends on what pins you lose you can lose all the pins as long as they are the ground and nothing important.
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline Wobbles

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 10:25:13 PM »
Cab doesn't have the attention span to read that post, Mel. =P
I like to chew on things.

Offline CABAZON

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 11:31:29 PM »
I actually did read it... except I already had the problem fixed before I read it, doh.

Problem was something with the CPU not being set right it seemed...

Offline Chichiri

• View Profile
    • Email
Computer problem
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 03:00:40 AM »
That works too.
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 08:44:21 AM »
Cab doesn't have the attention span to read that post, Mel. =P
[snapback]16266[/snapback]
To be honnest, that post was short. If you would write down in detail everything you can do wrong on a pc, you prolly murdered a whole forest (if you use paper).

I did blow up every winxp install I ever touched for some reazon (crash on bootup or asking 2 different passwords and you only can give 1 at login, don't ask how, I dunno), average survive time for winxp when I work with it is 60 minutes, 95win, 98win are even better, 2k and linux are fine, unix just never crashed, only the support for hardware is a bit less on unix. What you have to do to use xp? Not touching it at all or something? Or leaving your pc shutdown so it won't crash or mess up?

-Mel

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 09:50:13 AM »
i think cabazon meant he forgot to buy the cpu. im glad its fixed.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 09:58:20 AM »
i think cabazon meant he forgot to buy the cpu.
[snapback]16328[/snapback]
Better stop thinking, it not really seems usefull to you. -sorry, I know I'm evil-

Cab said the cpu wasn't set right or something, that doesn't means the cpu was missing (lets stand forgetting to buy it)

-Mel

Offline CABAZON

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 01:28:44 PM »
So... Gasmo... once again... go away.

I had an issue with crashing on XP  install as well.  I fixed it by using an  old copy of XP to install, and activating with the new key.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 02:21:45 PM »
So... Gasmo... once again... go away.

I had an issue with crashing on XP  install as well.  I fixed it by using an  old copy of XP to install, and activating with the new key.
[snapback]16358[/snapback]
Before you read it, it's long and just my oppion about XP.

Well, I basicly use (try to) XP when I get it preinstalled on a laptop. I grow mad of it because it alsways thinks it knows what I want, it's also slow, and it crashes like a hamster trying to fly of a flat. Prolly a hamster with blue blood anyway, I saw that "blue screen of death" a lot.

It's pretty weird in fact, XP is like a copy of 2k with a load of stuff "where I don't know the use of", like a messenger integrated in the system, I like to choose my software, it already bad enough they made Iexplore part of the windows os. Best part is, I own 3 legal copy's of XP (home and 2 pro), and I don't use them, the pc's run linux/unix/2k(copy).

Best of all, linux runs with firefox/gaim/mysql-server/apache-server/x-server on a pentum 166mhz, it has all stuff you need to work with, office suite and so, firewall(s) and it's not running slow. (not nwn or hl2 :P) How well that pc would run XP? Just talking about the basic system without extra software. I bet it won't even bootup. My 4 days old laptop didn't get XP run anyway (and it's absolutly not too weak for XP). With XP it's slow, crashes, ect. Unix/linux/win2k run fine on it, lucky.

I think XP can run fine in some cases, but it's alsways a waste of resources. Even if you wouldn't have all those viruse/securety/crash problems, then it's still a waste. Instead of buying a new pc with to run XP better you could just install a linux and run better than that new pc would. (you at least know what happens on your pc with linux/unix on top of it)

And yes that was long.
But I just felt like saying what I think of my eXPerience with windows-eXPolde.

-Mel

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 03:03:12 PM »
i have absolutely no probs with XP.

i used to on my old pc but that was prolly cause it was too slow

Offline CABAZON

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 03:22:56 PM »
I'd use linux if SWG ran on it. (I'm addicted to that game)

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 05:44:51 PM »
I'd use linux if SWG ran on it. (I'm addicted to that game)
[snapback]17001[/snapback]
I also keep at least 1 windows installation somewhere, atm on laptop. Support for all it's devices was easy to do (on 2000) and it's usefull in case I want to run a windows program and linux/unix fail to run it. Win2000 isn't too bad if you clean/fix the standard installation and install cygwin on it. Still gives a bit less preformance and securety, but then you just don't use that windowsbox to run services or heavy things.

I guess winxp just isn't something for me. I like that I tell my pc what it should do and that it actualy does it then. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't like that my pc tells me or trys to guess what I want to do, and doesn't do what it and/or I say. Besides, xp gets unbootable afther 60minutes(average) for me. (also if it's preinstalled by the manufacturer)

It's prolly just me. :unsure:

-Mel

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 07:17:01 PM »
What the hell are you doing with your computer? I have no problems with XP. If you don't like messenger and IE uninstall them, want to know how? Feel free to give me a private message. Maybe you can also tell me what it does that makes it guess what you are going to do. When all of your Windows Installations fail then somethings going on. If you want to check what Windows can run on, go to the Microsoft website, it's somewhere in there. Having a problem with viruses? First don't activate Active X controls when you know they're bad. Install SP2. Get an Antivrus (there are really good free ones) and either a hardware or software firewall. Download Spyware killers such as Adaware SE Personal and Spy Bot Search and Destroy. Use common sense when your on the internet. Disable the Windows Auto Recovery thing, because that's where some viruses hide. If your still having problems with viruses then stop using an administrato account and use a Limited account. Use your administratrive account only when you need too. Then make sure you get the latest updates.

Offline CABAZON

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2005, 08:09:16 AM »
WHo the man, that is an excellent example of common freaking sense.

But you know what's more sensical?

Using Linux where you don't have to do any of that shit.

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Computer problem
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »
my windows XP almost never crashes it does crash however when i am playing GTA III but it's an illegal downloadable game with crack and everything so i guess it's a bit normal tough.....
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Computer problem
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »
What the hell are you doing with your computer? I have no problems with XP. If you don't like messenger and IE uninstall them, want to know how? Feel free to give me a private message. Maybe you can also tell me what it does that makes it guess what you are going to do. When all of your Windows Installations fail then somethings going on. If you want to check what Windows can run on, go to the Microsoft website, it's somewhere in there. Having a problem with viruses? First don't activate Active X controls when you know they're bad. Install SP2. Get an Antivrus (there are really good free ones) and either a hardware or software firewall. Download Spyware killers such as Adaware SE Personal and Spy Bot Search and Destroy. Use common sense when your on the internet. Disable the Windows Auto Recovery thing, because that's where some viruses hide. If your still having problems with viruses then stop using an administrato account and use a Limited account. Use your administratrive account only when you need too. Then make sure you get the latest updates.
[snapback]17582[/snapback]
I know very well how to work with windows, don't worry about that. Also, windows normally does run on the pc the windows comes with. I never had 1 virus or something like it either. If I scan a pc only I used afhter a year with a few updated antivirus programs, I don't find any. I never had spyware/adware/popushit(like gator) either. I know them from wiping them off computers of other poeple that ask me for a hand with it. Also I use a limited user account normally, but to setup the box I have no choise but useing and admin account. :P

I give an example of what I get with winxp: I got a brand new pc out of the package, set it on and booted the preinstalled windows xp with all drivers and stuff. Updated, installed office and adobe programs (photoshop, acrobat). Installed apache, mysql, anivir, sygate firewall. With rebooting between some of them. Afhter a reboot I disabled the windows firewall (as I had installed sygate) and rebooted. The result was a unbootable system. (it did boot with them both on) I didn't configure the sygate firewall and windows firewall yet, I was still setting up the system and didn't touch anything. Searching for the problem gave no result. I normally don't connect to the internet when as long the system isn't finished either. But somethimes I do to start with an updated windows before installing other stuff. I did get xp to crash at the moment it wants to look if the pc is already connected to the internet when you're installing it. Maybe because I don't connect the networkcable when I install winxp? It crashes on random moments too, it's not like it crashes after installing/running 1 program or so, it wouldn't have been a problem if that was the case.

Had problems whit a bit of evrything on winxp, like powermanagement on a laptop (hard point for most oses btw, unix/win2000 aren't good on it either, only linux did it perfectly for me), cd/dvd write drivers, firewalls, networking, ect. Especially networking, I never let something on my network depend on a windows server.

And don't get me wrong, all those things I do, work perfectly on win2000 whitout crashes or problems. (exept powermanagement in some cases) I edit the register often manualy and I never had 1 problem on anything else than winxp. I don't use 3th party tools for those things either. And securety is a pain on windows. Adding a bit bit sercurty to winxp is the main reazon I get it crashed I think. I remove any service like remote acces, remote registery, shared folders/printer and things like write/read/vieuw acces when not needed, for example. And install a sshd (as part of cygwin) to get remote login over an encrypted connection and bash commandline acces. My basic survival kit for any pc I use.

I just wonder, why only xp (home and pro) give problems for me. Even running windows98 in a virtual machine that runs on a linux(debian) that runs on a windows2000 that runs on a linux(gentoo) did run fine for me. (yep doing that is useless, but it was funny to try it and making those oses work together). I just can't see what's good on windowsxp (also called windows NT-5.1), basicly it is windows2000 (also called windows NT-5.0).

Anyway, I can't say I had big computerproblems exept winxp, also as most poeple can work with winxp (and probably love to get viruses/spyware/adware, how you even get infected??), I just conclude it must be me that makes winxp completly crash in an average 60 minutes. And because the next version probably will be worse (for me), I hope the posix oses and their software devlop further like they do now.

-Mel