Author Topic: Help getting server running?  (Read 13479 times)

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
Help getting server running?
« on: January 05, 2005, 10:37:59 PM »
I need help getting my server to show on gamespy. I have been working at it for like a week now and it is it getting frustrating. I want to be able to host my mod when the final product rolls around. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 01:11:12 AM »
1 - did you unblock your ports from your router
2 - did you remove all of your firewalls
3 - is post game to internet checked

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:06:54 AM »
I need help getting my server to show on gamespy. I have been working at it for like a week now and it is it getting frustrating. I want to be able to host my mod when the final product rolls around. Any help is greatly appreciated.
[snapback]14966[/snapback]
Thing you should do if you have a router is forwarding the port from the computer that's hosting.
The thing forwarding does, is making a port (like 5121 for nwn) appear on the internet side of the router. If some connects to it the router will pass him to the computer behind your router. To do that you have to set your router to make his internet-ip-adress:port (wan side) points to server-ip-adress:port (lan side). If you forward that port you need and make sure no second firewall is blocking nwn (in case of sygate just let the firewall allow all trafic for the application nwserver.exe), then poeple can connect.

If you have a hardware router (little box) and don't know how to forward, look in it's manual. Usual you can acces it from a browser, and easy set what ip:ports should be forwarded.

To enable gamespy look in the nwndirectory from where you run the server for nwnplayer.ini.
GameSpy Enabled=1
Make sure this is set to 1 if you want it listed on gamespy.
Game Type=0
This sets the game on the action list. Other numbers set it in a other list, like 1 for story.

So -> forward the port -> edit nwnplayer.ini -> try to connect with nwn to the routers internet(wan) ip adress. If you can connect, look in the gamespy list if you can see your server, if so, you can ask a friend to connect to be sure everything works.

For information on port numbers you can look here
Note: not all ports are registered, nwn's 5121 isn't for example. Also, it's not because it's a registerd port that it's safe to set it open. It's best to close all ports exept those you really need.

1 - did you unblock your ports from your router
2 - did you remove all of your firewalls
3 - is post game to internet checked
[snapback]14980[/snapback]
Removing all of your protections to go online and make your ip know to others is somewhat a securety risk if you ask me  <_<

-Mel

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:07:21 AM »
also be aware - some older routers with NAT enabled will NEVER work with nwn (or with other online games). eg: Alcatel Speedtouch Pro is a really crappy NAT router.

you will need to convert it to bridge mode for it to work.

also look on bioware's official site - there are many other ports which need ot be open - most of them are meant to be opened by nwn itself, but sometimes the router refuses the software's requests.

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:54:07 PM »
Sorry for not specifying, but I do not have a router, my firewall was off then i tried and yes post game to net was on...

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 04:25:51 AM »
Sorry for not specifying, but I do not have a router, my firewall was off then i tried and yes post game to net was on...
[snapback]15068[/snapback]
Could you connect to it?

Start the server and try directconnect to 127.0.0.1:5121
(if this doesn't works download a fresh dedicated nwserver and try with that)
If that works try your-internet-adress:5121
(if that doesn't works you're blocking if of by a firewall)

If that all works and GameSpy Enabled is 1. Then try to look in the list again, be sure you're in the right tab (set Game Type to 0 for action). If it doesn't show's up try to refresh it 2 times or so by going to a other tab and then back to the tab where the game should be. Also, make sure you're not filtering your server out of the list. For example, if you filter out servervaults and AllowLocalChars is set to 0, then it won't show in your list, while it will show whit the filter off.

Firewalls can be a problem here too, make sure you don't block traffic from 207.38.8.34:27900 to your-internet-adress:5121 and back. This is the way gamespy(first-ip:port) and your server use to 'talk' with eachother.

Alternative you can try the attached perl script. It does check if the server is up/down and can return info like, amount of players, module name, server name. (if you don't know what perl is, you better don't try as I don't want to explain that) It did proof to be usefull to me.

If it still doesn't shows up on the list, it maybe be that your provider has something to do with it. Can't really help if it's this case, didn't find anything relevant to this.

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 08:14:56 PM »
Yes, I could connect to it using both of those IP addresses and gamespy is enabled(1) :blink: . This worked before no problem with SoU, now it does not work with HotU and the new patches for me. I'm not sure how to open ports on this crappy firewall I got (free sygate) so that does not help, but like i said, it worked before  :angry2:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:15:32 PM by DiVeRsIoN »

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 08:45:37 PM »
Yes, I could connect to it using both of those IP addresses and gamespy is enabled(1) :blink: . This worked before no problem with SoU, now it does not work with HotU and the new patches for me. I'm not sure how to open ports on this crappy firewall I got (free sygate) so that does not help, but like i said, it worked before  :angry2:
[snapback]15124[/snapback]
If you use sygate, try with 'allow all' set in the menu. Test then, if it's visible only then, you have to set the firewall to allow the trafic nwserver makes.

You can also say to open ports instead the whole application (more secure), but yes, that's harder to do.

If's it's not visible with 'allow all' set, then don't bother about the firewall. But I somewhat think this is why, check it out :P

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 10:15:09 PM »
Ok, I set to allow all and ran again... nothing. This is really started to get wierd. I must be missing some key thing here. I have all the right stuff in the nwnplayer.ini thing and I even shut my firewall off and tried. Nothing. I have tried many times to have ppl try and direct connect to it but it just times out with no connection to server... :(

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 10:34:30 PM »
Question--do you use or have AOL by any chance? If it's a port problem, I might be able to help with a nifty program.

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 10:53:42 PM »
Question--do you use or have AOL by any chance? If it's a port problem, I might be able to help with a nifty program.

~Celestial
[snapback]15129[/snapback]

No, I have Qwest DSL not AOL.

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 02:58:33 AM »
How can I change the IP address the server uses... I think it is trying to set up the server with a LAN IP of 192.168.0.4:5121 :angry2:  thats LAN isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 03:52:21 AM by DiVeRsIoN »

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »
How can I change the IP address the server uses... I think it is trying to set up the server with a LAN IP of 192.168.0.4:5121 :angry2:  thats LAN isn't it?
[snapback]15147[/snapback]
That's a local network IP. You're sure you're not behind a router? It pretty much looks like you're.

You're IP has to be somewhere between 65.100.0.0/65.103.255.255 or  205.168.0.0/205.171.255.255 or 205.168.0.0/205.171.255.255 This is the IP range your provider has. So it has at least to start with a 65. or a 205.

Btw, you're more lucky than me with your line. Your IP doesn't has to change every day.

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 01:05:58 PM »
Well, when I run an ipconfig it tells me that is my IP... I cannot change this however since when I click on run and the ipconfig it just pops-up and closes. I also looked into upgrading my modem. The program asks for my IP address so i gave them my 192.168.0.4... Connection Failed! So I know that is not my IP by the provider. Is there anyway I could set this to the provided one since the Qwest guy messed it up... I might be calling Tech-Support soon, I just dread the 1 hour "on hold" crap they pull.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 02:16:15 PM »
Well, when I run an ipconfig it tells me that is my IP... I cannot change this however since when I click on run and the ipconfig it just pops-up and closes. I also looked into upgrading my modem. The program asks for my IP address so i gave them my 192.168.0.4... Connection Failed! So I know that is not my IP by the provider. Is there anyway I could set this to the provided one since the Qwest guy messed it up... I might be calling Tech-Support soon, I just dread the 1 hour "on hold" crap they pull.
[snapback]15187[/snapback]
You can get your IP on this site http://www.whatismyip.com/  
This returns the IP you're on for the rest of the web. (if this really doesn't works I can pm you your ip address) You prolly have a dhcp server that gives you that lan adress. That server can be your modem or router, or a combination of them. I'm pretty sure of that.

You also can execute command.exe , then type ipconfig. It normally shouldn't close then (or try route PRINT) If there shows up something like gateway followed by a lan address (prolly 192.168.0.1) then you're behind a kind of router. And you'll have to forward a port somehow.  :closedeyes:

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 07:44:25 PM »
Ok, I got my actual IP address now and Im just wondering how to change the NWServer program to go thro that ip instead of the LAN one? Any ideas?

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 10:02:46 PM »
Ok, I got my actual IP address now and Im just wondering how to change the NWServer program to go thro that ip instead of the LAN one? Any ideas?
[snapback]15282[/snapback]
Forward the correct port (prolly 5121) from the lan address to the wan address. That's the only way to have poeple connecting.
-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 11:05:17 PM »
How do I forward a port? Since I don't have a router I know nothing of this... I think we getting close to the solution. I'm getting all excited and can't wait to unveil my mod I have slaved over =P (not done yet just want to test as I go so I don't release then go "Oh crap, I missed a bunch" :()
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 07:02:47 PM by DiVeRsIoN »

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »
How do I forward a port? Since I don't have a router I know nothing of this... I think we getting close to the solution. I'm getting all excited and can't wait to unveil my mod I have slaved over =P (not done yet just want to test as I go so I don't release then go "Oh crap, I missed a bunch" :()
[snapback]15323[/snapback]
Maybe a bit information about the things that connects you to the web may help. What's it called, who made it, ect. Maybe I can find out how to forward a port.

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 04:00:42 PM »
I'm at school right now in my Java class, but I know it is an ActionTec DSL modem using a USB connection. I'm connected to DSL (obviously :)), the exact name of the Modem is hard for me to know til I get home. It is a standard Qwest only modem so it might be on thier website. I'll post again when I find out.

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 04:08:10 PM »
Ok, the modem is a Actiontec�?�® GT701-wg.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 04:24:57 PM »
Ok, the modem is a Actiontec�?�® GT701-wg.
[snapback]15531[/snapback]
Like I guessed before your router is prolly on 192.168.0.1

Try this in your browser http://192.168.0.1
It should bring up some kind of configuration menu for the router, somewhere there you may find a option to forward ports.

Look in 'setup' -> 'advanced setup' -> 'port forwarding'
There just give the 5121 for a udp port and your local ip (192.168.0.4)
Maybe yiu'll have to add entry with a tcp port too. Afther that try to connect with your nwn to you nwserver useing direct connect to you internet adress (just use that site to get the adress)

If that works you might try to ask someone to try too.

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 09:03:22 PM »
Ok, well I could connect to it just fine, could before. I had Stitch try and connect and it just timed out and would not connect. It also does not show on Gamespy even though the box is checked. The ports are fowarded (thx a bunch mel) but it is still having problems even with it forwarded. Also, is there anyway to change the NWServer from using 192.168.0.4 and use 68.102.178.109 to try and test if that could be the problem. This first is my LAN address teh second is my WAN address... That way they connect to that since it's the WAN address and is forwared to my computer through the LAN (if im getting this forwarding stuff right in my head.)

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 02:18:39 PM »
Ok, well I could connect to it just fine, could before. I had Stitch try and connect and it just timed out and would not connect. It also does not show on Gamespy even though the box is checked. The ports are fowarded (thx a bunch mel) but it is still having problems even with it forwarded. Also, is there anyway to change the NWServer from using 192.168.0.4 and use 68.102.178.109 to try and test if that could be the problem. This first is my LAN address teh second is my WAN address... That way they connect to that since it's the WAN address and is forwared to my computer through the LAN (if im getting this forwarding stuff right in my head.)
[snapback]15567[/snapback]
If you did forward the port (do both udp and tcp, just to be sure) and if there's nothing else like a firewall (on the router and/or host computer) then poeple should be able to connect to your server using the wan address. Your nwserver doesn't has to know the wan address, forwarding should make that the wan port points to your local port. So check the if there's a fire wall, the nwserver setting and the router's options for anything that could be the reazon for it.

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 09:15:20 PM »
Ok, I shut the router firewall off and everything is done that you have said. But, it still does not show up on the list of games nor is it joinable by other people... I think Qwest is sabotaging my efforts and might switch back to Comcast(liked it better anyway)

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 08:11:02 AM »
Ok, I shut the router firewall off and everything is done that you have said. But, it still does not show up on the list of games nor is it joinable by other people... I think Qwest is sabotaging my efforts and might switch back to Comcast(liked it better anyway)
[snapback]15693[/snapback]
To be sure the problem isn't gamespy, try to connect with nwmain to the server useing your wan-address, not the lan. If that works but the listing doesn't works, it can be gamespy. If poeple other than you can't connect it may be the provider.

I'm going out of the point the settings on your side are correct.

-Mel

Offline DiVeRsIoN

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005, 04:10:41 PM »
Well, I messed up big time trying to fix this. I somehow lost all connection to my ISP and the router there. I have no internet and no way of connecting to it. I'm at school right now, had to wait all weekend to respond. I'm changing ISP's from Qwest to Comcast(DSL to Cable) b/c of this and the fact that the internet is down alot and it's SLOW. Hope to see yall soon back on Godspire. Laters  :D

PS: Server should work fine with Comcast, NO ROUTER!! YIPEE!!!

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2005, 04:21:43 PM »
Well, I messed up big time trying to fix this. I somehow lost all connection to my ISP and the router there. I have no internet and no way of connecting to it. I'm at school right now, had to wait all weekend to respond. I'm changing ISP's from Qwest to Comcast(DSL to Cable) b/c of this and the fact that the internet is down alot and it's SLOW. Hope to see yall soon back on Godspire. Laters  :D
PS: Server should work fine with Comcast, NO ROUTER!! YIPEE!!!
[snapback]15912[/snapback]
I like routers, only thing on it, just like with any firewall, you have to configure it a bit when you want to serve.

Anyway, my line didn't shut 1 time in years. My isp isn't perfect (ip change every day, low upload), but I don't have downtimes :)

-Mel