Author Topic: How to stop virii  (Read 4204 times)

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
How to stop virii
« on: January 01, 2005, 07:34:51 PM »
We dont have a tech section yet so here goes my tips :-

1) You cannot stop viruses from the web. The rate at which new holes are being found in OSes makes this impossible. You may seek to guarantee an absence of virii by not connecting to the web and not sticking any foreign media in the CD or disk drives. No firewall is a perfect guarantee against a breach of security.

2) Stop using Outlook Express and Iexplore.
3) Stop using anything made by microsoft as this is a very buggy company. They deliberately left loopholes open.
4) Use Linux and set up a Linux firewall box.
5) Reformat and reinstall all your OSes every 2 months (use nortons ghost).

Anyone else have any tips?

Best AV software - In the absenc eof a Linux firewall box, sygate firewall and ewido i think. I dont really like AV scanning programs like NAV or McAfee. Just connecting to the web to download updates means u r downloading newer versions of the virii u r about to try to eliminate anyway.

EDIT: Im kinda biased MS. As Mel said below, just avoid using IE and OE. It's just that since I am aware how to program VB in Word, Excel, PP, Access and OE and IE to tie them all together, I am also aware of how easy it is to trigger viruses in Word and Excel too. MS left it all open as far as i am concerned.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 08:33:04 PM by gashmo »

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
How to stop virii
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 08:06:32 PM »
We dont have a tech section yet so here goes my tips :-

1) You cannot stop viruses from the web. The rate at which new holes are being found in OSes makes this impossible. You may seek to guarantee an absence of virii by not connecting to the web and not sticking any foreign media in the CD or disk drives. No firewall is a perfect guarantee against a breach of security.

2) Stop using Outlook Express and Iexplore.
3) Stop using anything made by microsoft as this is a very buggy company. They deliberately left loopholes open.
4) Use Linux and set up a Linux firewall box.
5) Reformat and reinstall all your OSes every 2 months (use nortons ghost).

Anyone else have any tips?

Best AV software - In the absenc eof a Linux firewall box, sygate firewall and ewido i think. I dont really like AV scanning programs like NAV or McAfee. Just connecting to the web to download updates means u r downloading newer versions of the virii u r about to try to eliminate anyway.
[snapback]14572[/snapback]
Just do this:
Use opensource programs when you can. And if you have a spare coin, donate a bit for the projects you use and like. But you don't have to of course

Micro$oft stuff (and other comercial $tuff) aren't that bad, I use word too somethimes, but there are way better things, like openoffice (! never use Iexplore and outlook, those are -way-too-evil- !). Also a lot virus/trojan/ect problems can be avoided by useing your brains when browsing/downloading/installing stuff.

-Mel

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
How to stop virii
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 04:28:31 AM »
you could just have 2 systems and business and a gaming one, and just reload OS on the gaming one every month like i do(rather i have problems or not) as for using linux...i wouldn't recommend it i tried it and had problems runnin some of my MS games(and if u say not to play them, i'll tell you were to stick your linux)

*AND REMEMBER, "ONLY YOU CAN'T PREVENT VIRUSES"
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
How to stop virii
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 12:32:59 PM »
Maxthon (Formerly MyIE2, allows tab-browsing)
AVG (Free version works great, detects a virus on contact)
Windows Firewall [Control panel: Windows Firewall; On] (Simple, yet effective)
Service Pack 2 helps
Port Magic (AOL thing)
Router

This is mainly all I use, and I haven't had any problems with viruses. All these things (excluding the router) are simple, free, and effective. By the way; I'm using XP. I do have Norton, but subscription expired and I am going to, possibly and probably, get AVG pro.

[snapback]14659[/snapback]

Just make sure you are protected.

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.