Author Topic: IMPORTANT!  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
IMPORTANT!
« on: December 31, 2004, 08:53:04 AM »
My upstairs computer died yesterday due to a bug that I'm not sure where it came from. My dad thinks that it's my fault because I'm practically the only one who uses internet explorer, and internet explorer is what got affected. I don't know what's going to happen to our upstairs computer, but I advise you all to run a virus-scan on your computers just as a precaution, because the virus, although I highly doubt it, may have been transmitted to or from LM.

-Lord Elessar

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 09:42:53 AM »
My upstairs computer died yesterday due to a bug that I'm not sure where it came from. My dad thinks that it's my fault because I'm practically the only one who uses internet explorer, and internet explorer is what got affected. I don't know what's going to happen to our upstairs computer, but I advise you all to run a virus-scan on your computers just as a precaution, because the virus, although I highly doubt it, may have been transmitted to or from LM.

-Lord Elessar
[snapback]14407[/snapback]
If it's LM that would mean the board was hacked  :blink:
I will see if I can find something.

Sidenote: Use firefox and blockoff that Iexplore.

-Mel

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 10:55:18 AM »
Don't think LM has anything to do with it. Everything seems clean + I doubt if they would have hacked this.

Anyway, can you give a bit more info about what happend? I'm interested.

-Mel

Offline Chichiri

• AOL Instant Messenger - Chichiri66
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 01:37:38 PM »
BOOOOOO IE SUCKS!!!!

Now thats over with, why are you still using internet explorer? You where just asking for bugs and virus's. Still sucks though.

Good luck Elessar.
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 02:40:36 PM »
Maybe this is usefull, the links there :P
im grounded and my cpu is full so much spyware and shit that  I cant play any game (hence my inactivity)
[snapback]14337[/snapback]
Just back things up and reinstall everything on it. And don't use iexplore to browse the web. At least that is what I would do.

Funny thing is , never had spyware and never had a virus on my pc, I scan my pc once each 2-3years or so. Never found anything. Last time I checked is 1 week ago.

Atm I'm happy whit a few free to use programs (as long you're not useing it comercial)

You might want to check these sites:
A firewall (sygate)
A free virus scanner (doesn't loads your pc as heavy as norton and like)
Just dl firefox here and block off that Iexplore :P
And I use win2k, it's just way better than xp.
[snapback]14390[/snapback]
-Mel

Offline Chichiri

• AOL Instant Messenger - Chichiri66
    • View Profile
    • Email
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 02:46:43 PM »
I use AVG for virus scanning. Fast and free.
Watch it.
Excel Saga

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 01:31:49 AM »
Thx, Mel. Iv got one of them scanning right now, i just really hope it works
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 10:45:01 AM »
Thx, Mel. Iv got one of them scanning right now, i just really hope it works
[snapback]14487[/snapback]
Well the virusscanner is way faster and doesn't loads your system as much as norton and like. This also mean it prolly will protect a bit less then the big comercial antivirus scanner.

But I like to be able to work on my computer too, norton did slow it too much down.
About if it works, I did write a infected file on my hdd and on writing it the virus scan did find it. Seems fair enough.

-Mel

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 11:47:59 AM »

-Lord Elessar
[snapback]14407[/snapback]
If it's LM that would mean the board was hacked  :blink:
I will see if I can find something.

Sidenote: Use firefox and blockoff that Iexplore.

-Mel
[snapback]14408[/snapback]

i know, but some odd reason i couldn't fix, lm wouldnt show up properly on firefox. my com is fixed now and firefox will prob have no problem getting lm showing properly now. i just wanted to say this just in case. i don't want anything to happen to your computers.

-Lord Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 06:59:26 PM »
Well I just finished completely barracading my PC from all these spywares and viruses.  Upgraded to Win XP SP2, installed Spybot and TeaTimer.  Disabled Iexplore (as Mel said), installed Norton Internet Security (hardcore program, highly recommended).  I used the Norton Firewall to block IE (most spyware comes through security holes in IE).  All I use is Firefox and Thunderbird for email.

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • Email
IMPORTANT!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »
Alrighty then... Here's what I use, and if I ever have a virus it's gone within a couple seconds...

Maxthon (Formerly MyIE2, allows tab-browsing)
AVG (Free version works great, detects a virus on contact)
Windows Firewall [Control panel: Windows Firewall; On] (Simple, yet effective)
Service Pack 2 helps
Port Magic (AOL thing)
Router

This is mainly all I use, and I haven't had any problems with viruses. All these things (excluding the router) are simple, free, and effective. By the way; I'm using XP. I do have Norton, but subscription expired and I am going to, possibly and probably, get AVG pro.

Maxthon is basically IE (without major bugs and junk) + FireFox/Mozilla.

~Celestial
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:25:31 PM by Celestial1 »
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.