Author Topic: Spamming  (Read 4818 times)

Offline iceycool56

• MSN Messenger - iceycool56@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iceycool56
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spamming
« on: December 22, 2004, 11:05:36 AM »
Ok, we all have a general idea of what spamming is, but I think I might need some clarification.  To me, it's the idea that when someone posts something, it's gone off-topic.  And by off-topic, I mean reading the Topic Title and Topic Description again and seeing that a post or posts is not relevant to it.  Lately, I've been seeing that.  But in my mind, I can also argue that's it not quite spamming because someone is just responding to what someone else has said.  Now, in this situation, I think the proper course of action is to private message the individual, but what if the information is beneficial to the public?

P.S. I think completely unnecessary comments are considered spamming.  Of course, that's just common sense, but people like to do it anyways.  I don't like to point fingers.  I'm a loveable figure in the community and want to stay that way  :lol:  :D
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Spamming
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 11:30:26 AM »
Ok, we all have a general idea of what spamming is, but I think I might need some clarification.  To me, it's the idea that when someone posts something, it's gone off-topic.  And by off-topic, I mean reading the Topic Title and Topic Description again and seeing that a post or posts is not relevant to it.  Lately, I've been seeing that.  But in my mind, I can also argue that's it not quite spamming because someone is just responding to what someone else has said.  Now, in this situation, I think the proper course of action is to private message the individual, but what if the information is beneficial to the public?

P.S. I think completely unnecessary comments are considered spamming.  Of course, that's just common sense, but people like to do it anyways.  I don't like to point fingers.  I'm a loveable figure in the community and want to stay that way  :lol:  :D
[snapback]13521[/snapback]
Spam is more like posting short afther eachother whitout having something to say. Or a reply whit just 'lol' and that's it.

Offtopic also can be spam. And replying to a offtopic post isn't a too well idea. It can make a thread going in the wrong way. Best is to start a new topic whit a quote on what offtopic post you would like to reply.

The rule against spam is also a nice one:
6. No spamming. Do you wonder if *maybe* you're spamming? Then you are....

Spams rules in here aren't taken as strict as they could be, but doesn't means you can spam.

I like so see other poeple their opinion about this too :)

-Mel

Offline iceycool56

• MSN Messenger - iceycool56@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iceycool56
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spamming
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 11:39:42 AM »
The rule against spam is also a nice one:
6. No spamming. Do you wonder if *maybe* you're spamming? Then you are....
[snapback]13526[/snapback]

It's certainly a good guideline to follow.  I use it all the time.  Right before I click 'Add Reply,' I think to myself if what I'm about to say is spam.  I guess that's why I don't post a lot.  But if it's in Random Ranting, I'll go all out!
Shadowfury
                   Marauders
                             Sentinel of Godspire

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Spamming
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 04:53:02 PM »

well spam is rather loosely defined here, and is only really really taken seriously when it gets out of hand isnt it? well at HPFF after a bit of an argument on it an admin called Arukas gave a clear definition of spam for the entire forum and is sort of general
Not Allowed:
-Posts that include nothing but a virtual action
eg: *thwack*, *runs away and hides*, *falls of cliff* etc

-Posts that are only one word long

-Posts that have no bearing on the topic at all
This means they are designed to merely be annoying and are not a witty remark inspired by the topic or the like. A discussion is allowed to flow freely, but no one likes the random who just says stupid things in real life so nor do we like them here.

-Threads that are designed as games: Word Association, etc...

-"Round Robins" or group stories (including role plays)

-Threads saying how bored you are

-Threads that are nothing but a conversation that could be had on MSN or AIM

Allowed:
-Making a witty/funny/slightly sideways comment that was inspired for you by the topic

-One or two posts occassionally that will include inside comments between two or more members

-Topics thats are about the small things in life

-Topics discussing something that happened to you today

-Topics about something you think people might like to talk about

-Topics that promote good natured ideals among members and arent focused on negative things
While we are not stopping you from talking about tough parts of your life, we'd appreciate you not using the boards to air your problems in life or as a sympathy source.

i think its a fairly good way to define spam, but remember, spam is loosely defined and restricted here. its quite a bit more strict on HPFF because of recent occurences.
of course some of those are made specifically for HPFF

-Lord Elessar
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 04:53:46 PM by Lord Elessar »

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
Spamming
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 07:44:54 PM »
hits elessar with a boot *thwack*

seriously thou it doesnt seem that we have a huge problem... everyone has spammed a bit here (especially elessar wen he first came)

in rand ranting, topics should just be allowed to go whatever direction ppl want

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
Spamming
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 02:44:27 AM »
Running a forum on a web always takes a lot of effort on the par tof moderators who constantly have to delete, modify and move posts. If you look at a huge forum like suprnova.org used to run, or even one on nwn bioware's official forums, the team of moderators are very busy :-

1) deleting posts which are contrary to the rule sof the forums or which make no contribution to the forum at all
2) modify posts which refer to things prohibited by the rules of the forum
3) move posts which are made in wrong sections of the forum

everything else is "spam". they don't call it "spam" but it is. if the moderators leave spam on the forums, it tends to build up as people tend to copycat each other.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Spamming
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 08:03:25 AM »
hits elessar with a boot *thwack*

seriously thou it doesnt seem that we have a huge problem... everyone has spammed a bit here (especially elessar wen he first came)

in rand ranting, topics should just be allowed to go whatever direction ppl want
[snapback]13554[/snapback]

what 'choo hit me for? lol ;D trust me i post as i did then as i do now on HPFF. its actually not irregular since there are so many members there.... so i have to remember to kool down the posting jets when i move from there to here. :)

-Lord Elessar