Author Topic: Guild Wars  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
    • http://
Guild Wars
« on: July 03, 2004, 02:22:09 AM »
So i was looking at guildwars.com to see what's so special about this game and I found this in the FAQ:

"How much will Guild Wars cost? How much will additional chapters cost?

Guild Wars will be competitively priced, comparable to the cost of other titles of its quality. The subsequent chapters of Guild Wars will also be priced at a level comparable to other games."

Are "additional chapters" expansion packs or what. Or are they like disguised patches, there seems something fishy, an MMORPG has to get money some way and I think this is it.

Also how laggy will guild wars be? There'll be like a million ppl playing it on the same server with like half of them using dial up, the graphics are huge and it'll be giving updates in the back round. Ther ehas to be some lag or what. And how long does it take to load! You have to load like 9,000,000 acres of land!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 02:34:24 AM by Who The Man »

nathan

Guild Wars
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 03:17:32 AM »
Also how laggy will guild wars be? There'll be like a million ppl playing it on the same server with like half of them using dial up, the graphics are huge and it'll be giving updates in the back round. Ther ehas to be some lag or what. And how long does it take to load! You have to load like 9,000,000 acres of land!

It should be like nwns lag, it only will lag if the sever that you join is a laggy host.

Offline MageRender

• MSN Messenger - MageRender
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MagusSyndicate.com
    • Email
Guild Wars
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 10:30:14 AM »
According to a couple of articles I read, the "chapters" are just another word for expansion packs. Unlike a few MMORPGS I know of, this one actually "has a storyline" and with each chapter new events are revealed. My guess is that they are trying pretty hard to break away from the MMORPG stereotype of more content! More Classes! More items! More Levels! A couple fleeting hours added to something that you thought was already dead! As expected you will get new classes, skills, items, areas, etc, but they are making efforts to make it worthwhile, not just preserve the games shelf life. They will be released about every 6 to 9 months and my guess is they will sell for about 30 bucks a piece.

About that lag issue, I use a cable connection, so during the Alpha/E3 Event I suffered absolutely zero lag. One of my friends played it however, and he has dialup AOL.  Regardless of his internet speede running at crap, he said that he had no lag whatsoever, but he did have longer zone loading times (30 secs compared to my 10ish). Once you load an area once though, the loading time dropped to about 2 secs tops -- too fast for me to remember  :)

I hope that answers your questions.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 11:02:22 AM by MageRender »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Guild Wars
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 01:32:05 PM »
Are "additional chapters" expansion packs or what. Or are they like disguised patches, there seems something fishy, an MMORPG has to get money some way and I think this is it.
Here is the deal, Guild Wars is being made by the people that developed Diablo and started Diablo 2. However, they didn't like how Blizzard was handling the design so they left to make their own game.

Considering their experience with online gamming I doubt lag will be an issue. Don't worry about loading the entire terrain on login, much of it will be stored locally I am sure.

The idea behind the "additional chapters" is that they wanted to make a MMORPG without charging people to play. (since pay-per-play sucks) So they will release expansions on a regular basis. Bioware and Blizzard can learn from this example.

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
Guild Wars
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 11:17:40 PM »
What's up with this layout? It took me like 5 minuets to find the reply button.

Sounds like an anmazing game. If it loads up in 10 seconds and no lag with dialup with no pay per play. I mean seriously wow.

Offline Ivan-EoD-

• View Profile
    • Email
Guild Wars
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 06:16:19 PM »
Ive played E3 4E (Demo event). There is no lagg absolutely, the graphics are GRAND (E3, of course!), no pay to play, its great trust me. The pvp (8v8) is sweet, hehe if you got good strategy you end up killing the other team in 20 sec oO hehehe its a really fun game. I would go to www.guildwars.com www.guild-hall.net and that ign webbie for GW, also visit the ign forums that have Gw in em, heaps of info.