Author Topic: Psst Umm.. What is Guild Wars?  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Raelias

• MSN Messenger - Raelias
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Raelias
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - None
    • View Profile
    • http://None
    • Email
Psst Umm.. What is Guild Wars?
« on: November 07, 2004, 04:14:12 PM »
I'm guessing it's some new game over the internet? Like Lineage in a way? At first I thought it was a NWN module or something but reading around makes me think different. Can I get into this... "beta" to try out the game to? Or is it too late or suppose to sign up or something? I'd like to know since some people are playing in which I'd like to play with... Oh well O.o

As we venture forth into these dark times, brave souls will fall and heroes will live to carry the light of hope forward, into the future. In the end all shall perish into flames and ash. Have heart, for from the ashes shall be born anew, an age that will outshine all others. With the dawning of this new time, all shall look to the sky and see hope laying amongst the the sun's rays.
-Raelias

DotA (Wc3) Quote of Godliness: "I picked teh bone clanx nd othr tema says i is imba - i laff. I sed bone is strng not imbala tho so i is walk up 2 teh towar n liek try to kill it but i cldnt so i is try to sped walking away n towar c me n kill me den my tem call me nub. i thinking teh towar - 1 dat throw rocks i m no sure is imba n shud be nerfed n plz buff teh bone clanx he no good."

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 04:19:42 PM »
it's an MMORPG and with a twist! no monthly fee!!
this game has the best graphics and a really fun game all in all.

I went on today because the 6th and 7th are open betas again and omg YAY. My spells were a lot stronger and I got an a lot better hp count and more energy!
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline Raelias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 04:26:43 PM »
Can I get this.... "Guild Wars" too? Cause I am currently way bored out of my mind with GS down and all. And it may be a MMORPG but it may also not be updated frequently. Oh well maybe it's a new era of MMORPG's. Would be nice not to have to pay. If you don't have to maybe I'll pre-order the sucker or something. (Psst tell me how to get it >.<)

As we venture forth into these dark times, brave souls will fall and heroes will live to carry the light of hope forward, into the future. In the end all shall perish into flames and ash. Have heart, for from the ashes shall be born anew, an age that will outshine all others. With the dawning of this new time, all shall look to the sky and see hope laying amongst the the sun's rays.
-Raelias

DotA (Wc3) Quote of Godliness: "I picked teh bone clanx nd othr tema says i is imba - i laff. I sed bone is strng not imbala tho so i is walk up 2 teh towar n liek try to kill it but i cldnt so i is try to sped walking away n towar c me n kill me den my tem call me nub. i thinking teh towar - 1 dat throw rocks i m no sure is imba n shud be nerfed n plz buff teh bone clanx he no good."

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 05:48:47 PM »
now settle down rae :P

download this GW download sucker and get yourself a key from toki's topic and it's ON ??
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 05:49:46 PM by Blood Angel »
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »
Also, some people are calling Guild Wars "Diablo 3", since it was developed by the people that created battle.net. A bunch of them left Blizzard and formed Arenanet because of Blizzards plans to make a pay-to-play game (World of Warcraft).

They felt that Blizzard had betrayed its original vision of providing free online service for its games.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 09:17:25 PM »
This is a great fucking game. I kid you not.

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline gashmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 03:46:58 AM »
Throbblefoot?.. is it ok for girls to swear now?.... not that i mind, i gues sim just curious....

What is Guildwars spellcasting like?
Can someone mention a few points why we like guildwars?....

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 02:02:15 PM »
Throbblefoot?.. is it ok for girls to swear now?
Are you suggesting that swearing might be okay for "boys" but not for "girls"? Unless I've been sucked into some mysterious time warp that threw me back 50 years in time, I'm pretty sure it's 2004, and girls are free to do whatever boys are.

And if they aren't, fuck that noise: I do what I wanna do.

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 02:15:45 PM »
Throbblefoot?.. is it ok for girls to swear now?.... not that i mind, i gues sim just curious....

What is Guildwars spellcasting like?
Can someone mention a few points why we like guildwars?....
[snapback]9765[/snapback]

I wasn't aware that it was not ok for "girls" to swear.

Guildwars spellcasting is a lot different than other games. You must choose 2 classes, a primary class and a secondary class. Each class has access to a number of "skills" and you can buy more skills from trainers in town.

No matter how many skills you have you must choose only 8 of those skills per quest or when exploring wilderness areas.

As you gain levels, you simply gain extra "ability points". Each skill has one type of ability point associated with it, the higher the ability the more powerful the skills based on that ability become.

ie Firestorms duration (but not damage) increases when you invest in the "Fire Magic" attribute.

You get a life bar and a mana bar (pretty standard) and skills cost mana to use. Some skills take longer to cast, some effect all creature and players in the area and some are just standard "fireball" type spells. There are curses, enchantments, animal companion skills, corpse exploitation (like the Necros skills in Diablo 2) and the Warriors "adrenaline" skills.

Some of the Warrior skills work differently. While most skills have time delays of various length between times you can use them, the Warrior must build up any weapon-based skills by hitting creatures. The advantage of these adrenaline skills is that they cost the lowest mana cost for a skill (5 points).

Why 420 likes Guild Wars:

I have always liked Diablo, and I have had years of fun playing Diablo 2. I have been waiting for Blizzard to make "Diablo 3D" (and Starcraft 2 based on the WC3 engine for that matter). However, Blizzard has decided to abandon its old business model of free online access for a pay-to-play model.

I think this will be the closest thing to Diablo 3 and the fun thing is, the company can patch the game while you play, very, VERY cool.

The way Arenanet plans to make money is by regularly releasing expansion packs. (Which is the way Blizzard should have handled D2 then maybe they wouln't have to resort to developing pay-to-play games.)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 02:19:13 PM by 420 »

Offline Raelias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 05:30:05 PM »
Ya it's a good game. I stayed up till like 3 am last night (the shutdown time) playing it. LoL got like a total of 3 and half hours of sleep last night. Go me. But the game's real fun and I'm probably gonna buy it. I got a nifty warrior/monk who's pretty good. He's a sword warrior too. Oh and 420 the adrenaline built up skills for warrior usually don't cost any money at all. Like my skills right now are Frenzy Power Attack and Artery Cut or something like that. The Artery Cut is the adrenaline skill and it costs 0 energy along with the basic hammer skills you are given. Artery Cut is nice cause it does like 1-2 damage a second for 15 seconds. Nice for the warriors since they have such high dmg reduc. Oh and the power attack is nifty. With my skills right now it does +16 damage which ignores armor. I can hit like -28 on the archers/mages. Oh and of course I got my main heal that boosts off strength and sprint. And the basic monk heal spells of rez heal and junk.

-Raelias