Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 27549 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Windows 10
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »
Is Windows 10 really free? As I understand it, if you want DirectX 12 you need Windows 10. So... are there any problems people are aware of upgrading to Windows 10? (Throbble and I are both running Windows 7 64-bit.)

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
Huh. I didn't realize it was free. I'm also still on Windows 7 64-bit, and assumed when the obnoxious little icon popped up in my tray with no way to get rid of it that it was a scheme to wear me down until I caved and bought it. At least, it claims to be free? I don't know. I'll ask around.

edit: according to their faq, it is indeed really really free http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq

edit 2: update from a friend who is currently running the beta version - The only issue he ran into was one of the beta builds wasn't compatible with the processor on his Surface 3, but that had been in the release notes and was fixed. Otherwise it "runs butter smooth" and can revive some older/slower machines because they optimized it very well. He says that Microsoft is a very different company now than when it released Windows 7. He recommended reserving the upgrade, at the very least so you don't eventually get borked if you want to upgrade after they stop offering it for free. He has no idea what the strategy behind offering it for free is though. My guess would be that if they're actively trying to change their image it's easier to pull people in with a free upgrade, especially since Windows 10 comes with the new browser they're releasing to replace IE. Fastest way to make sure people at least try it out is to give it away for free to people who might not otherwise upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:27:36 AM by Elessar Telrunya »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
Microsoft is going on the same bandwagon as Apple. Since you can now get any new version of OS X for free. Microsoft is doing it too so that they stay in competition. Windows 10 is going to be great from all the things I have heard. I for one, can't wait until the 29th for my free copy. :D
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
Yes it's going to be a free UPGRADE to Windows 7 and 8.1.  This is a promotion that will last a limited time.  After that and for new installs it will cost the same as previous versions of Windows.

I would wait until it's released (do not upgrade to a beta) and maybe wait a few weeks thereafter before upgrading to be safe.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
Just upgraded. It seems to work alright. Only hitch was having to restart before it would detect my monitor's resolution, but that's no big deal. They didn't parse out any of the tablet functionalities for desktops though, which really annoys me, so I've spent some time turning certain things off, and of course it came with a crapton of software I don't want (No, candycrush, I won't play you on my desktop any more than I will play you on facebook), so I spent a while getting rid of that. You'll have to use powershell to get rid of some of the stuff though. Otherwise it seems fine so far. We'll see.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
I upgraded also.  Went pretty smoothly.  One from 7 to 10 the other from 8.1 to 10.
Cortana is cool but needs lots of work to be really useful.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
Do you have to reinstall all your apps/games when you upgrade?

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
No, everything should transfer over smoothly.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 02:16:27 AM »
I gave 10 a try for a few weeks and tonight I rolled back to 7. 10 is the the ugliest most unstable OS I have ever used, and I ran Vista for a while. It had more crashes than a 70's rock star. Literally. Half the time it would not even boot up. So I am back to 7 everything is working smoothly and is pretty. All is well once more.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 08:57:02 AM »
At some point this break I need to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 to see if it fixes my issues with it. Otherwise I'm rolling back to Windows 7. I have not been particularly happy with my experience of it. At no point have I really been convinced that it was designed with desktops in mind. And yes, yes, it is ugly.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »
I still have not upgraded. I didn't know people were having issues with it, that makes me want to upgrade even less.

The main reason I haven't upgraded yet is because... well, nothing is free. I want to know why I'm getting this for free, what's in it for them? Someone mentioned something about charging for updates or something down the road? I can see that. I just don't trust it.
1. Because it's free, like I said, nothing is free. 2. Because it is persistent. It acts like spyware almost, constantly badgering me to upgrade and taking over my windows update. I no longer get notifications for new updates, I have to guess and then tell it not to download windows 10. 3. Because it automatically begins to download windows 10 whenever I update, even if I tell it no, and the only way to stop it is to "decline" their user agreement. Or, let it download and then refuse another agreement and it will delete the download all over again.

I have to ask myself, why? Why do they want me to update so badly, and why the hell is it free?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Microsoft is giving this away for free only for 1 year or so and only for upgrades from 7 and 8.1.  The reason is that they don't want a lot of people running legacy operating systems because it costs A LOT of money for them to have to support old versions of Windows. It would save them a lot if 90% were using 10 and 10% were on 8.1 and that's it.  They figured this problem out when so many people remained on XP and 7 for so long because Windows 8 was shit.  It has nothing to do with charging for updates blah blah conspiracy theory.  They are still charging full dollar for new installs.

Windows 10 runs very smoothly for me on both my home and work computer.  My home PC is a beast with 16GB of RAM, work has 8GB.  I wouldn't think of running with memory.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
Either way, that confirms my suspicions. They want me on 10 for money. Better that it's to save money than it is to get more out of me, but it's still about money.

You wouldn't think of running with memory? I'm guessing you mean -low- memory?

I have 16 gb of RAM. I built this comp in 2012, still runs ever game on ultra. I've only  needed to upgrade my graphics card. I should be okay.

As long as it's running good for someone, I'll probably "upgrade" eventually. It's been pissing me off because it automatically downloads the upgrade when I do windows update, even if I de-select windows 10. Then it asks me if I agree to the agreement to install it, I say "no" and it erases the files to install it. I have to deal with that every time I want to do updates.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
Either way, that confirms my suspicions. They want me on 10 for money. Better that it's to save money than it is to get more out of me, but it's still about money.

You wouldn't think of running with memory? I'm guessing you mean -low- memory?

I have 16 gb of RAM. I built this comp in 2012, still runs ever game on ultra. I've only  needed to upgrade my graphics card. I should be okay.

As long as it's running good for someone, I'll probably "upgrade" eventually. It's been pissing me off because it automatically downloads the upgrade when I do windows update, even if I de-select windows 10. Then it asks me if I agree to the agreement to install it, I say "no" and it erases the files to install it. I have to deal with that every time I want to do updates.

If you're on Windows 8.1 then I'd say upgrade.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »
Fuck that garbage, I'm on 7.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 10:14:54 AM »
Fuck that garbage, I'm on 7.

I'd update if I were you.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »
Why is that?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »
Why is that?

Cause for me at least it's a very solid OS and benefits from security, much fast response times during boot, power off, suspend and in general from Windows 7.  Lastly you'll need to upgrade sooner or later before Windows 7 support ends and for now it's a free upgrade.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 01:50:56 AM »
I reserved my copy of the upgrade a long time ago, so I shouldn't have to worry about that. As for boots and shutdowns, I don't have any issues with them being slow at all. I make my boot slow by having a system password and then an OS user password.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »
For me under 10 my rig would only boot up half the time, the internet was much slower and i usually had to turn it off by holding the power button to force a shut down because it kept locking up. It makes sens why its free right now. It prevents people demanding refunds. Perhaps later on with larger updates it will improve.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition