Other > Computer stuff

Windows 10

(1/4) > >>

420:
Is Windows 10 really free? As I understand it, if you want DirectX 12 you need Windows 10. So... are there any problems people are aware of upgrading to Windows 10? (Throbble and I are both running Windows 7 64-bit.)

Elessar Telrunya:
Huh. I didn't realize it was free. I'm also still on Windows 7 64-bit, and assumed when the obnoxious little icon popped up in my tray with no way to get rid of it that it was a scheme to wear me down until I caved and bought it. At least, it claims to be free? I don't know. I'll ask around.

edit: according to their faq, it is indeed really really free http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq

edit 2: update from a friend who is currently running the beta version - The only issue he ran into was one of the beta builds wasn't compatible with the processor on his Surface 3, but that had been in the release notes and was fixed. Otherwise it "runs butter smooth" and can revive some older/slower machines because they optimized it very well. He says that Microsoft is a very different company now than when it released Windows 7. He recommended reserving the upgrade, at the very least so you don't eventually get borked if you want to upgrade after they stop offering it for free. He has no idea what the strategy behind offering it for free is though. My guess would be that if they're actively trying to change their image it's easier to pull people in with a free upgrade, especially since Windows 10 comes with the new browser they're releasing to replace IE. Fastest way to make sure people at least try it out is to give it away for free to people who might not otherwise upgrade.

Mercy:
Microsoft is going on the same bandwagon as Apple. Since you can now get any new version of OS X for free. Microsoft is doing it too so that they stay in competition. Windows 10 is going to be great from all the things I have heard. I for one, can't wait until the 29th for my free copy. :D

Mo:
Yes it's going to be a free UPGRADE to Windows 7 and 8.1.  This is a promotion that will last a limited time.  After that and for new installs it will cost the same as previous versions of Windows.

I would wait until it's released (do not upgrade to a beta) and maybe wait a few weeks thereafter before upgrading to be safe.

Elessar Telrunya:
Just upgraded. It seems to work alright. Only hitch was having to restart before it would detect my monitor's resolution, but that's no big deal. They didn't parse out any of the tablet functionalities for desktops though, which really annoys me, so I've spent some time turning certain things off, and of course it came with a crapton of software I don't want (No, candycrush, I won't play you on my desktop any more than I will play you on facebook), so I spent a while getting rid of that. You'll have to use powershell to get rid of some of the stuff though. Otherwise it seems fine so far. We'll see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version