Author Topic: Alienware Area-51  (Read 22870 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Alienware Area-51
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Dell is making a new Alienware Area-51 gaming rig. It supports 3 graphics cards. Can you SLI more than 2 cards? The article says it can support 3 monitors but doesn't say that the graphics cards are SLI so I have no idea.

Anyway here is a pic of the new "triad" design and a link to the article:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/14523/20140831/alienware-area-51-gaming-rig-out-world-heres-why.htm

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Alienware Area-51
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
I don't buy anything from Dell.

I don't buy anything pre-built...

...if I did it wouldn't be from Dell.

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
I hear AlienWare makes your FPS go up to 200FPS constant.

trololololol

:P

And yes, you can go up to 4-way SLI.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »
Yep I'm DIY when it comes to PCs as well.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »
Yep I'm DIY when it comes to PCs as well.
Always, but the shape of the case was what I found most interesting about the article I linked. I wonder how long before Antec designs something similar.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »
I hear AlienWare makes your FPS go up to 200FPS constant.
I read that as: "I hear AlienWare makes your Fucking Pile of Shit go up to 200 Fucking Pieces of Shit constantly.

Always, but the shape of the case was what I found most interesting about the article I linked. I wonder how long before Antec designs something similar.

I personally don't care much about the shape of the case as long as I have ample room to work in it, good airflow, and it's not so fucked up that it won't fit on my desk or is a hazard/self-hazard. For example, if it had sharp metal spikes sticking out of it, that would be awesome, but I'd be worried about myself, my daughter, or someone else being stabbed. Now, if I was bowser, shredder, or some other spikey villian, well...

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
Dunno about this particular case.  I like how it's a desktop.  I've moved away from towers myself and prefer everything up on desks.  But this Alienware looks like it would have bad airflow and this is a problem with all Alienware stuff.  Too much heat really reduces the lifetime of the system.  I don't see any fans on the outside of this thing (at a glance).

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
Dunno about this particular case.  I like how it's a desktop.  I've moved away from towers myself and prefer everything up on desks.  But this Alienware looks like it would have bad airflow and this is a problem with all Alienware stuff.  Too much heat really reduces the lifetime of the system.  I don't see any fans on the outside of this thing (at a glance).
Hmm, the article link no longer works, but it mentioned that the case was designed specifically to maximize airflow and cooling by channeling hot air out through the most direct route. I had to buy an extra fan for my tower recently because it needed the extra fan (which did not come with the case) in order to make the angular airflow work.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
They aren't the most beautiful cases, but I'm otherwise pretty damn loyal to Lian Li.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »
They aren't the most beautiful cases, but I'm otherwise pretty damn loyal to Lian Li.
Interesting variety of cases. What do you prefer?

The square one with the handle is interesting. Portable desktop! I can manage that.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:26:50 AM »
If by the image you gave, the air flow means having the case open, then I am due some royalties.
I used to keep up with how to build a PC yonks ago and I would like to do it again if only to ensure I get precisely what I pay for. However keeping up with the hottest tech hardware in any field is a losing battle. As soon as you acquire the best on the market, the next thing comes out. Unless you work for NSA, CIA, SS, or the international equivalent you will NEVER own a rig that will not be at least partially obsolete in two years.
I still run a mostly pre-set Dell with a few upgrades and the fool thing has been pretty much bullet-proof for all the junk I've given it. So, in the field of ready made rigs, it's not so bad, and you can always adapt them if you have the gumption to do so.
The best upgrade I made to my rig was going to Windows 7 from Vista. However that does not count as an upgrade since getting rid of Vista in any fashion is really a reset to OEM.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »
Interesting variety of cases. What do you prefer?

The square one with the handle is interesting. Portable desktop! I can manage that.

The one I currently use is very similar (but different in some small details) to this one:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/armorsuit-pc-p50/

This would be sweet:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/dk-02/

I've never encountered a Lian Li without awesome airflow and plenty of fans.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
Unless you work for NSA, CIA, SS, or the international equivalent you will NEVER own a rig that will not be at least partially obsolete in two years.
You have way too much faith in our government's equipment not sucking. I worked with the NSA and for the DoD and their computers were all horribly outdated. It was quite a shock actually. The best computers on base belonged to the virtual reality department.

That desk/case is awesome!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
Here we go. This one is the exact version I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239

It's been a sweet tower, my only regret is it not having a 3.5 slot for my card reader or for my extra usb slots that came with my mobo. *shrug*

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »
Here we go. This one is the exact version I have.
Cool case, but no USB 3.0? Get with the times man!

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
Cool case, but no USB 3.0? Get with the times man!

That can't be possible.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
Meh, I have 3.0 on my mobo in the back so.. meeehhhhhh. :D

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »
You have way too much faith in our government's equipment not sucking. I worked with the NSA and for the DoD and their computers were all horribly outdated. It was quite a shock actually. The best computers on base belonged to the virtual reality department.

That doesn't remotely surprise me. My Dad works for a defense contractor, and he says they still have computers running Windows XP floating around. The problem is whenever they want to upgrade to a new system they have to make sure it's compatible with all of their security systems (and places like that tend to have very dense security systems and take a while to update).

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »
That doesn't remotely surprise me. My Dad works for a defense contractor, and he says they still have computers running Windows XP floating around. The problem is whenever they want to upgrade to a new system they have to make sure it's compatible with all of their security systems (and places like that tend to have very dense security systems and take a while to update).
My mom was the Y2K compliance officer for the Navel Postgraduate School in Monterey because she was the only one employed there would could still program in FORTRAN and COBAL. They begged her not to retire before she reprogrammed the mainframe so it wouldn't crash on certain dates. There are like 2 or 3 dozen dates past the year 2000 that could cause a system like that to crash. I was troubleshooting Zenith 248 PC's there in the 90's for fuck's sake!

Also, the paperwork you have to go through just to get any sort of new computer hardware or software is insane. Then there is the red tape (ie even after filling out the paperwork you get contacted by multiple people up the chain of command to justify the request). I knew people who just brought in their computers from home rather than deal with the ancient shit the government made them use.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
I remember at my old job at a medical research center there was still a PC running Windows 2000.