Other > Computer stuff

Alienware Area-51

<< < (4/4)

Mo:

--- Quote from: 420 on September 03, 2014, 08:10:21 PM ---Cool case, but no USB 3.0? Get with the times man!

--- End quote ---

That can't be possible.

Soul Sojourner:
Meh, I have 3.0 on my mobo in the back so.. meeehhhhhh. :D

Elessar Telrunya:

--- Quote from: 420 on September 03, 2014, 12:53:19 PM ---You have way too much faith in our government's equipment not sucking. I worked with the NSA and for the DoD and their computers were all horribly outdated. It was quite a shock actually. The best computers on base belonged to the virtual reality department.

--- End quote ---

That doesn't remotely surprise me. My Dad works for a defense contractor, and he says they still have computers running Windows XP floating around. The problem is whenever they want to upgrade to a new system they have to make sure it's compatible with all of their security systems (and places like that tend to have very dense security systems and take a while to update).

420:

--- Quote from: Elessar Telrunya on September 13, 2014, 12:25:31 PM ---That doesn't remotely surprise me. My Dad works for a defense contractor, and he says they still have computers running Windows XP floating around. The problem is whenever they want to upgrade to a new system they have to make sure it's compatible with all of their security systems (and places like that tend to have very dense security systems and take a while to update).

--- End quote ---
My mom was the Y2K compliance officer for the Navel Postgraduate School in Monterey because she was the only one employed there would could still program in FORTRAN and COBAL. They begged her not to retire before she reprogrammed the mainframe so it wouldn't crash on certain dates. There are like 2 or 3 dozen dates past the year 2000 that could cause a system like that to crash. I was troubleshooting Zenith 248 PC's there in the 90's for fuck's sake!

Also, the paperwork you have to go through just to get any sort of new computer hardware or software is insane. Then there is the red tape (ie even after filling out the paperwork you get contacted by multiple people up the chain of command to justify the request). I knew people who just brought in their computers from home rather than deal with the ancient shit the government made them use.

Mo:
I remember at my old job at a medical research center there was still a PC running Windows 2000.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version