Author Topic: Looking To Buy a Gaming Laptop  (Read 16104 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Looking To Buy a Gaming Laptop
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
Throbble and I have decided to get a gaming laptop for when we go out of town. I was looking at this Asus ROG 17.3" Laptop for $1,735.99.

What's everyone think?

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Re: Looking To Buy a Gaming Laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »
Looks like a pretty solid machine for a laptop. I used a laptop for gaming through most of college, and it was a okay, but it wasn't really designed for gaming either. If you're only planning to use it while out of town that's probably fine. Laptops like that (actually, pc laptops in general) are a pretty significant weight to lug around, so I wouldn't really bother using it for any other mobile computing needs. The one major concern I'd have is that it might get really hot and noisy, so I'd be prepared to deal with that. One of my college friends had a laptop like that for gaming, and it eventually became really cumbersome for him to use (granted he used it for pretty much everything soooo...).

I'm actually planning on replacing my laptop altogether with a tablet soon. I'm looking at the Surface or Surface Pro...still debating whether the Pro is worth over doubling the price.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »
I'll echo Elessar's comments.  17.3''? Huuuuuge that thing is gonna be heavy, so it's really a desktop replacement that will need to be plugged in at all times.  If that is ok with you then I'm sure it will be a great laptop.  Expensive though.  I bought a Toshiba last year for around $600 for gaming.  It's got a AMD A10 which seems to run games decently...nothing to brag about though.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
Laptops aren't really my cup o' tea.

Asus? Good plan.

Maybe a cooling pad/system?

Probably buy a keypad, such as the Razer Orbweaver or Tartarus. Make on-the-fly gaming far more tolerable. Smaller to lug around than a gaming keyboard. +Customizeable.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:36:17 PM »
All good input guys! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
Got the gaming notebook linked in the first post, yesterday in the mail. Posting to LM with it right now!

It's huge! But it's got a full sized keyboard which I need for my giant hands. Also bought a Logitech wireless mouse because I hate touch pads. The size and weight aren't really an issue however as its main purpose is for taking on road trips to visit family (who all have suck gaming computers but high speed DSL/cable.)

Currently installing Diablo 3, then I'll start on downloading Steam games. It's actually much more powerful than either Throbble or my desktop computers. And, I'm not sure, but I think I may qualify to get a free copy of Boarderlands: The Pre-Sequel because the notebook comes with a GeForce GTX 870m.

Also, it's called a "notebook", not a "laptop", apparently because it will burn your lap... ARGH, I CAN FEEL THE POWER IN MY THIGHS!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:37:51 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
Good job. Enjoy!