Author Topic: CANDY!  (Read 7730 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
CANDY!
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of dark chocolate, though milk chocolate will do if nothing else is available. But I hate any sort of fruit or nuts in my chocolate. Fruit and nuts aren't candy damnit!!!

However, I'm an even bigger fan of high fructose corn syrup based candy, Skittles being my favorite.

Anyway, post stuff about candy here!

This is a pic of a bowl on my desk with a mixture of Skittles Darkside ("The other side of the rainbow") and Christmas (red and green) M&Ms Dark.

Happy Holidays!

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: CANDY!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
Find me one person on the Earth who doesn't like Skittles.

Find it!

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
Skittles Darkside ("The other side of the rainbow")

So you eat that while watching Wizard of Oz and listening to Pink Floyd.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
Find me one person on the Earth who doesn't like Skittles.

Find it!
I actually had a lengthy discussion about candy with a bartender recently. We got on the subject because she was eating Skittles.

However, Throbble does not like Skittles because, and I quote, "They stick to my teeth." She has been picking out the M&Ms from my bowl which is completely throwing off my Skittles to M&Ms ratio!

So you eat that while watching Wizard of Oz and listening to Pink Floyd.
Now that is a good idea. I have a DVD with the music already synced up. And it's so obviously a Pink Floyd reference that I'm surprised Skittles hasn't had the FDA come down on them for marketing candy to children using a thinly veiled drug reference.

Fun Fact: "Mystery" Dum Dums are actually a mixture of two different Dum Dums syrups. When the machines switch from making one flavor to another the syrups from the two flavors mix briefly in different quantities. (ie more of the first flavor at the beginning of the transition, more of the second near the end.) So, it's very rare to find two Mystery flavor Dum Dums that look or taste the same.

-420, The Candy Man

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
Is is candy or is it just hella yum?! Mini S'mores Cheesecakes! I so totally rock.

This recipe is an adaptation of Cheesecake Elegante, which is so divine that I had to include its full recipe here. Sections marked by asterisks ** indicate the modifications needed to make the S'mores version.

Cheesecake Elegante  / **S'mores Cheesecake**

Crust:
1 1/2   cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4      cup powdered sugar
1 tsp.  ground allspice
1/3      cup melted butter

Combine all ingredients. Spread in the bottom of a 9 inch spring-form pan, pressing some of the crumbs up the sides to form a rim about 1 inch high. Bake the shell for 10 minutes at 400 F.

Cheese layer:
16 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3     cup sugar
2 tsp.  vanilla
** 3/4 cup cocoa powder**
** 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted in a double boiler**

Beat cheese until soft and creamy. Add eggs sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Pour into crust. Bake at 350 F for 25-35 minutes, or until set.
For a thick and fluffy cheese layer try adding the eggs to the cream cheese at the beginning.

**(Note: for the s'mores version I found that cocoa powder alone did not give the darker and richer chocolate flavor I desired so the melted chips were added. If a lighter intensity is desired begin with cocoa powder and adjust as necessary.)**

Elegante Topping:
1 1/2  cups sour cream
1/4     cup sugar
2 tsp. Grand Marnier or Triple Sec

Combine and spread over the cheese layer after it has baked and set as above. Bake at 450 F for 7 minutes. Allow to cool before chilling.

**Marshmallow Topping, to be used in place of the above topping for S'mores version**

3 1/2   envelopes (2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1         cup cold water, divided
2         cups granulated sugar
1/2      cup light corn syrup
1/4      teaspoon salt
2         large egg whites
1         tablespoon vanilla

In bowl of a standing electric mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water, and let stand to soften.

In separate bowl with cleaned beaters beat egg whites until they just hold stiff peaks.

In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, second 1/2 cup of cold water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy or digital thermometer registers 240 F. Remove from heat early if the mixture begins to brown before it reaches this temperature. Pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.

With standing or a hand-held electric mixer beat mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume. Beat whites and vanilla into sugar mixture until just combined. Spread over cheesecake layer and let sit to cool and set for 3 hours. Confectioners or powdered sugar may be sifted over the top. Chill overnight.

Leftover marshmallow mixture may be spread into a baking pan. Oil the bottom and sides and then dust with confectioners sugar. Cut into cubes and dust all sides with confectioners sugar once set.

For mini cheesecakes use a muffin pan, or better, a mini cheesecake pan. These look like muffin pans with removable bottoms. Do not press crust layer up the sides. Reducing recipe by half makes about a dozen, 2 inch, mini cakes.

When serving, cut into as large a slice as you dare eat. Topping can be toasted using a creme brulee torch while you sing campfire songs to slack-string guitar accompaniment.

One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
Is is candy or is it just hella yum?! Mini S'mores Cheesecakes! I so totally rock.

While I am impressed I still have to ask: You chose to make this instead of playing Diablo 3!?

Recently, there was a family get together and I put out a bowl of Skittles and M&Ms and Throbble's brother took a handful and said, "There's something wrong with some of those M&Ms." Classic.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
While some people are busy watching the Super Bowl I've been busy testing out the new flavor of Skittles called "Orchards"!

As the name suggests, it's fruit themed with following five flavors:

Cherry
Orange
Peach
Red Apple
and... LIME!!!

That's right, they brought back lime. The flavor is slightly different than I remember, as it lingers a little longer, but you can now buy "regular" Skittles and Orchards flavor, change out the green apples for limes and BAM, Skittles Classic! Yeah Baby!

I found the individual flavors of this new product to be pretty good. Not a big fan of the cherry, but when all five flavors are eaten together it works well. Also tried it mixed with M&Ms and it mixes well.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:13:32 AM by 420 »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »
You clearly had a productive evening. I spent my Super Bowl Sunday playing board games. We tried out the XCOM board game. Humanity was slaughtered. Mercilessly.