Author Topic: Design a Legendary  (Read 12183 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Design a Legendary
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
Thought I had posted about this before. Anyway, in case anyone hasn't seen this, Blizzard is asking the community to design a legendary weapon.

The first poll, weapon type, is already done. The winner is (surprise) one handed sword. (I voted for one handed axe because axes rule swords!)

Design a Legendary, Part 2: Choose Your Theme

I voted for "Westmarch", since I figure they could make the item fit in with some of the expansion storyline or background.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Design a Legendary
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »
I was going for Ancient Culture but it looks like Mephisto is going to win with or without the problem with the polling going on right now. If it looked like the sword was going to be cool then I think a good name and description for it might have been this:

Ghost of the Forge - An artisan's final masterpiece discovered unfinished in the coals of his forge. Its still glowing heart smolders in anger, thirsting for the blood of demons.

However if it goes the way I think it will the following will be more appropriate:

Trolls' Folly - This vile weapon unearthed from the ruins of the Durance of Hate appears to be made from brittle remnants of Mephisto's corpse. Only a committee of fools could have dreamed up such a useless blade, and only the truly mindless would wish to possess it. - Excerpt from Deckard Cain's archeological dig log of Travincal.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
Yeah, the voting seems to be fucked. I hit vote but when I reload the page it takes me to the vote screen again.

Trolls' Folly - This vile weapon unearthed from the ruins of the Durance of Hate appears to be made from brittle remnants of Mephisto's corpse. Only a committee of fools could have dreamed up such a useless blade, and only the truly mindless would wish to possess it. - Excerpt from Deckard Cain's archeological dig log of Travincal.

Totally, reminds me of the design your own creature poll that D&D posted right before it ended 3rd edition. (I admit I voted for all the things that made that monster completely overpowered and pointless.)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:41:02 PM by 420 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »
Here are the results of the theme poll:

Caldeum: 1.7%
Westmarch: 9.2%
Serpent: 2.8%
Ancient Culture: 21.3%
Mephisto: 32.5%
Duriel: 7.6%
Diablo: 24.9%

Pfft, Mephisto isn't even in D3. I still think Westmarch would have made a better theme.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »
Next stage of the design process is a live podcast where the community can suggest their stupid ideas.

Details on the December 11 podcast

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »
Next stage of the design process is a live podcast where the community can suggest their stupid ideas.

Details on the December 11 podcast

Thank goodness I'll be working on that day. I won't be tempted to watch the train wreck.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:45 PM »
The sketch of the Mephisto has been unveiled. As I said on the D3 forums, It sure does look like the sword that every D&D geek drew when they were in high school.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
The sketch of the Mephisto has been unveiled. As I said on the D3 forums, It sure does look like the sword that every D&D geek drew when they were in high school.
Heh, totally:

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
There is an update to the sword's look. It's more Mephistoish now. Also Blizzard is having people suggest the unique power for the weapon.  I am just going to stay out of that.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 07:41:14 AM »
Looks cool except for the fucked up blade at the end. I see that and just have to ask why? To me it just doesn't make sense.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
Looks cool except for the fucked up blade at the end. I see that and just have to ask why? To me it just doesn't make sense.
They are trying to make it look more organic. It would look better if is was all bone spikes all the way to the tip instead of a sharpened blade look.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
Next section is up, voting on a power. Blizz has given the following five options from community suggestions:

Legendary Power 1

You radiate an aura of Hatred. All monsters near you deal and receive additional damage.

Legendary Power 2

Attacks have a chance on hit to cause your current target to be hated by all nearby enemies, taunting them to attack that target for the duration of the effect.

Legendary Power 3

When you are near death, your hatred for your enemies grows, significantly reducing your resource costs and cooldowns.

Legendary Power 4

Elemental attacks have a chance to trigger one of powerful abilities inspired by the Lord of Hatred himself: Charged Bolt, Poison Nova, and Freezing Skull. Lightning damage has a chance to trigger a Charged Bolt. Poison damage has a chance to trigger Poison Nova. Cold damage has a chance to trigger Freezing Skull.

Legendary Power 5

Summons an Evil Force to fight alongside the player for a period of time. This force would take the form of a non-attackable melee pet, and it would be possible to potentially have more than one Evil Force active at once.

So far option 4 is winning.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
I think I prefer option 1 myself.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 11:24:11 AM »
Part 5 is up: CHOOSE YOUR NAME VOTE

I went with "Spine of the Father" but the uninspired "Shard of Hate" is winning.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
I stopped putting in a vote for this thing a few polls back. I don't really care for what I am seeing it become so I believe my earlier suggestion of "Trolls' Folly" would have been a better name.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
Part 5 is up: CHOOSE YOUR NAME VOTE

I went with "Spine of the Father" but the uninspired "Shard of Hate" is winning.

Agreed...Shard of Hate is quite uninspired.  Boooring.  It's not even made of stone or glass so it can't technically be a shard. But I will just keep my expectation low when it comes to mass market ideas.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »
The results for the vote on what special power the sword will have are in: DESIGN A LEGENDARY: CHOOSE YOUR POWER RESULTS

Taking almost 29% of the global vote, our winning legendary power is: #4!
"Elemental attacks have a chance to trigger one of powerful abilities inspired by the Lord of Hatred himself: Charged Bolt, Poison Nova, and Freezing Skull. Lightning damage has a chance to trigger a Charged Bolt. Poison damage has a chance to trigger Poison Nova. Cold damage has a chance to trigger Freezing Skull."

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
Agreed...Shard of Hate is quite uninspired.  Boooring.  It's not even made of stone or glass so it can't technically be a shard. But I will just keep my expectation low when it comes to mass market ideas.
Surprise surprise, Shard of Hate won... pfft

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »
Surprise surprise, Shard of Hate won... pfft

bahahahaha silly people

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
This is some Q&A bullshit I didn't bother to look at but it includes the final look for the weapon:

DESIGN A LEGENDARY, PART 6: WEAPON TEXTURE, MODEL, AND PAINT