Author Topic: Internet Service Providers  (Read 15382 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Internet Service Providers
« on: October 18, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
Back online after moving. 4 quotes from different ISPs and a dozen calls to Comcast (one rep hung up on me!).  I was FORCED intto doing business with Comcast.  This is what I got;
12 months @  $30/month after 12 months it goes to $50 or something
24mbps/4mbps
No setup cost cause I bought my own modem for $70 bucks which saved me $7/month and I have routers like I have socks which saved me another $7/month
No TV or phone

What are you guys in the big cities paying?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Internet Service Providers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
Back online after moving. 4 quotes from different ISPs and a dozen calls to Comcast (one rep hung up on me!).  I was FORCED intto doing business with Comcast.  This is what I got;
12 months @  $30/month after 12 months it goes to $50 or something
24mbps/4mbps
No setup cost cause I bought my own modem for $70 bucks which saved me $7/month and I have routers like I have socks which saved me another $7/month
No TV or phone

What are you guys in the big cities paying?

Comcast is a piece of shit. I have never done business with them, then one day I started getting threatening letters from a collection agency that said they would ruin my credit if I didn't pay my outstanding Comcast bill. I had to threaten to sue both "Mad Dog" collection agency and Comcast in order to get them to stop harassing me.

Throbble and I have been using phone based Dial Up/DSL since we moved to San Francisco (18 years ago). Our account name actually ends with @pacbell.net (Pacific Bell no longer exists), since then we were shifted to SBC and then to AT&T. It still confuses the fuck out of reps who field our tech support calls. The modem/router is a 2Wire 1000s which is from the mid 90s.

I recommend AT&T/DSL since we've been using it for nearly two decades without any problems.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:02:28 PM by 420 »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »
My parents have comcast in Massachusetts, but I have no idea what they pay for it. They've had it for years, so it's probably whatever their standard rate is. It's generally been okay when I've been home.

I think every place I've lived in St. Louis has used Charter, but until recently those have all been dorms or large apartment complexes with internet included in the bill. I'm currently paying $30/month for 30mbps/4mpbs in my new apartment, but after the first year that will go up to something like $40-$50. I didn't have a modem, so they charged me $30 for one of theirs, and then proceeded to charge me another $30 to come out and replace it two weeks later when the one they gave me crapped out for no reason. That kind of pissed me off. The service guy had zero clue what was wrong with it.  The only thing that really irritates me about them is that they insist on calling me every few weeks to ask if I want to add cable or phone service, even after I repeatedly tell them that I don't want either because I have neither a land-line phone nor a television. Next time they call I'm planning on asking to speak with their manager to complain.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:22:04 AM »
I recommend AT&T/DSL since we've been using it for nearly two decades without any problems.

I wanted to, I really did, but Fairpoint wanted a $100 bucks to run a phone line to the basement from the street then up to my floor. There's no phone jacks in my building.

Comcast is a piece of shit.
One rep hung up on me after I made condescending remarks when she mentioned at the very last moment my bill was going to double in 12 months.  Another rep tried to charge me 64/month after I had been quoted 30/month by two other reps.  The rep who setup my account failed to mention I'd need an account number to "verify" my modem.  And the dozens of times they tried to sell me their shitty TV subscription!
They bamboozled a friend of mine into thinking they need to use Comcast's modem to get a LAN and that they need a router.  They pay 90/month for internet, TV & phone.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »
I'm not in the city, and my ISP doesn't exist over there. I go through Arvig. It's a local family owned business that started here and has since spread across the state. They don't have much for competition out here, save for satellite internet providers. I pay $120 a month for 20Mbps currently.

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »
Right now, ~$124/mo for TV and Internet from Time Warner
15Mb [down] / 2Mb [up]

I'll be dropping the TV portion so the Internet should go up $10 (bundle savings lost). But I'll still save about $60 a month.

WTB: Google Fiber / FiVO :(
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.