Author Topic: Elemental Wizard  (Read 6502 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Elemental Wizard
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
Mo was talking about making a fire based wizard similar to my cold based wizard. So, I thought it would be cool to make a thread where people could post (and critique) elemental wizard builds.

For example:

Frostillicus (Cryomancer)
Cold Skills

My suggestion for a fire wizard:

Pyromancer
Fire Skills

EDIT: Here is Throbble's lightning wizard build:

Electromancer, Dynomancer (?)
Lightning Skills
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:53:17 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Elemental Wizard
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »
First impression of Pyromancer is that Blizzard didn't show enough love to fire magic.  Besides Meteor, the only other fire dmg seems to come from a rune effect.

hmm

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
First impression of Pyromancer is that Blizzard didn't show enough love to fire magic.  Besides Meteor, the only other fire dmg seems to come from a rune effect.

hmm
Yeah, I tried making a non-Archon arcane build with my second wizard. That sucked. Seems like cold is the only elemental damage that got any real polish. In addition to the all-mighty freezing effect of some skills, cold damage has a natural "snare" effect. Blizzard has been looking to add effects to the other elemental damage types and are taking suggestions.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »
Yeah, I tried making a non-Archon arcane build with my second wizard. That sucked. Seems like cold is the only elemental damage that got any real polish. In addition to the all-mighty freezing effect of some skills, cold damage has a natural "snare" effect. Blizzard has been looking to add effects to the other elemental damage types and are taking suggestions.

Well it's obvious isnt' it? If cold can add a snare effect, then fire should add a dmg over time effect similar to the bleed effect which is very powerful for melee and DHs.  They kinda tried to add that via the passive Conflagration, but failed.  Instead the dmg over time effect should be inherent to fire dmg or at least some of the skills and Conflagration would provide a bonus to the Wizard when enemies are "burning".

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
Instead the dmg over time effect should be inherent to fire dmg or at least some of the skills and Conflagration would provide a bonus to the Wizard when enemies are "burning".
I agree completely.

In fact, they should just follow Hellgate: London's example. (After all it was developed by Diablo 2 devs.)

• Cold - Chill (Snare)
  • Fire - Burning (damage over time), Conflagration changed to do more damage to burning targets
  • Lightning - Shock (elites can't use special powers while shocked)
  • Poison - Toxic (slow attack speed) <- in HL it prevented creatures from healing/regenerating but they don't heal in D3
  • Arcane/Holy - Phase (takes more damage)

I'll suggest this on the Diablo 3 forums.