Other > Computer stuff

New Creative Drivers Support EAX in Windows Vista/7

(1/4) > >>

420:
The newest Sound Blaster drivers from Creative, called "ALchemy", includes support for Environmental Audio (EAX) in older games that run under newer operating systems like Windows Vista and Windows 7!

Last week I finally got tired of my new computer's sucktastic on-boar sound card so I bought myself an old Sound Blaster Audigy SE for $29. After I downloaded and installed the newest autoupdater from Creative I started up ALchemy and it listed Diablo 2 and Neverwinter Nights as games I had installed that couldn't use EAX because Windows 7 doesn't support it. So I turned on EAX support for those games in ALchemy and now the options are no longer faded out in those game's sound options and I was able to enable environmental audio.

The drivers can be found on Creative's Sound Blaster web site.

Mo:
Yep on board sound sucks. How's the sound quality now?

Soul Sojourner:
Hmm, I have onboard realtek audio, which beats the shit out of my sound blaster audigy SE card (also in my compy). Just sayin...

Nice to know there's finally support for it though. Might actually put it in my wife's comp now.

420:

--- Quote from: Mo on September 23, 2012, 02:52:13 PM ---Yep on board sound sucks. How's the sound quality now?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Soul Sojourner on September 23, 2012, 03:40:25 PM ---Hmm, I have onboard realtek audio, which beats the shit out of my sound blaster audigy SE card (also in my compy). Just sayin...

Nice to know there's finally support for it though. Might actually put it in my wife's comp now.

--- End quote ---
The Sound Blaster blows away the on board RealTek. Not only does it make a huge difference in the older games (now that I can enable EAX support) but I can actually make out the lyrics for one of the songs in Saints Row: The Third that I couldn't make out before. I can also hear the individual instruments better and some baseline beats in songs that were barely audible using RealTek.

Soul Sojourner:

--- Quote from: 420 on September 23, 2012, 04:00:00 PM ---The Sound Blaster blows away the on board RealTek. Not only does it make a huge difference in the older games (now that I can enable EAX support) but I can actually make out the lyrics for one of the songs in Saints Row: The Third that I couldn't make out before. I can also hear the individual instruments better and some baseline beats in songs that were barely audible using RealTek.

--- End quote ---
Pretty sure that depends more on the motherboard you have and less on it being realtek. Which I guess was my point in that there are exceptions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version