Author Topic: New Creative Drivers Support EAX in Windows Vista/7  (Read 23237 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
New Creative Drivers Support EAX in Windows Vista/7
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
The newest Sound Blaster drivers from Creative, called "ALchemy", includes support for Environmental Audio (EAX) in older games that run under newer operating systems like Windows Vista and Windows 7!

Last week I finally got tired of my new computer's sucktastic on-boar sound card so I bought myself an old Sound Blaster Audigy SE for $29. After I downloaded and installed the newest autoupdater from Creative I started up ALchemy and it listed Diablo 2 and Neverwinter Nights as games I had installed that couldn't use EAX because Windows 7 doesn't support it. So I turned on EAX support for those games in ALchemy and now the options are no longer faded out in those game's sound options and I was able to enable environmental audio.

The drivers can be found on Creative's Sound Blaster web site.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: New Creative Drivers Support EAX in Windows Vista/7
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
Yep on board sound sucks. How's the sound quality now?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
Hmm, I have onboard realtek audio, which beats the shit out of my sound blaster audigy SE card (also in my compy). Just sayin...

Nice to know there's finally support for it though. Might actually put it in my wife's comp now.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Yep on board sound sucks. How's the sound quality now?

Hmm, I have onboard realtek audio, which beats the shit out of my sound blaster audigy SE card (also in my compy). Just sayin...

Nice to know there's finally support for it though. Might actually put it in my wife's comp now.
The Sound Blaster blows away the on board RealTek. Not only does it make a huge difference in the older games (now that I can enable EAX support) but I can actually make out the lyrics for one of the songs in Saints Row: The Third that I couldn't make out before. I can also hear the individual instruments better and some baseline beats in songs that were barely audible using RealTek.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
The Sound Blaster blows away the on board RealTek. Not only does it make a huge difference in the older games (now that I can enable EAX support) but I can actually make out the lyrics for one of the songs in Saints Row: The Third that I couldn't make out before. I can also hear the individual instruments better and some baseline beats in songs that were barely audible using RealTek.

Pretty sure that depends more on the motherboard you have and less on it being realtek. Which I guess was my point in that there are exceptions.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »
Pretty sure that depends more on the motherboard you have and less on it being realtek. Which I guess was my point in that there are exceptions.
I got this one: Asus P8P67 B3 Rev i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 DDR3 USB3

Which has: Realtek ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Maybe it has something to do with my speakers. I use the cheapest 2-speaker desktop option that Dell was offering at the time. Perhaps Sound Blaster is just better at making shitty speakers sound good?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:18:45 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
I got this one: Asus P8P67 B3 Rev i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 DDR3 USB3

Which has: Realtek ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Maybe it has something to do with my speakers. I use the cheapest 2-speaker desktop option that Dell was offering at the time. Perhaps Sound Blaster is just better at making shitty speakers sound good?

There's different onboard sound cards and quality, two mobos could both have realtek but have different sound quality. Speakers do make a huge difference, though I have doubts that the sound quality between one card and another will have much to do with your speakers, as they don't typically get along with certain cards/drivers better than others, it's usually your other software and hardware that do. If one card sounds better than another then it's likely either due to better hardware and/or software for that card versus the other. I do recommend getting new speakers though, now that I read the word "Dell." Logitech has some affordable speaker sets of good quality.

I remember reading reviews for my motherboard having good onboard sound, but since I am used to onboard sound quality almost always being worse than having a card I had bought a low budget sound card with my comp. Which was the Sound Blaster Audigy SE, which I think I got on sale for like $21 at the time. But I regretted it a little afterwards because I struggled with getting my sound to work correctly with Windows 7, after awhile I could use it, but it didn't work in video games so I tried the onboard realtek which turned out to sound better anyway. I did a comparison because I didn't want second-rate sound when I bought a card, but the SB was definitely inferior, and my onboard worked in games. Nice to know now though that I can use the SB with 7. I may have to double check, because with the new drivers it may sound better. But I hope to buy a more expensive sound card down the road anyway. I'm looking at those HT Omega's, but they're spendy. I didn't have the budget at the time to go full boar on extras like a sound card.

Well, based on your experience, I might try to play with my SB card sometime soon and get these new drivers and see how it sounds, it may very well be that the sound quality wasn't good due to software issues, so I'll have to give it another shot, because I like my loud music to sound good, and it does, but if it can sound better...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
Um, don't you, 420, have a Geforce 400series card?

HDMI, 8 Channel Audio ftw
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
Um, don't you, 420, have a Geforce 400series card?
Yes, I have a GeForce GTX 460 SE. Why?

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
Not much point in having a sound card if you got a 400series or better video card (don't know about AMD's...which ever series started using HDMI ports).

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
Not much point in having a sound card if you got a 400series or better video card (don't know about AMD's...which ever series started using HDMI ports).
You got a good point, I am not using my nvidia audio device though, I am using my onboard realtek, I never even thought about testing it... maybe I should... lol

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »
HDMI supports 8 sound channels, I lurves it on my 7.1 system.

Freaked me out the first time Playing WoW with it...rogue got me from behind cause I turned around to see what the hell had made the "whoosh" sound behind me XD

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 11:29:35 AM »
What? Sound comes out of my video card? Since when?

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

"is a compact audio/video interface for transferring uncompressed digital audio/video data from an HDMI-compliant device"

Since that :P

As far as I know for sound cards:

Analog: Max 2 channel, hence why a 5.1 card has 2 audio jacks + 1 subwoofer jack

*Digital (optical): Max 2 channel of PCM, 4 channel if compressed audio (ie Dolby Digital)
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

HDMI: Max 8 channels of compressed or uncompressed audio

I should note that both DisplayPort and HDMI support audio and video signals. DisplayPort I think also adds data, and was set to replace HDMI, DVI, VGA, USB, and FireWire as a universal multi-purpose connector. But it's been slow to adopt :(

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
Analog: Max 2 channel, hence why a 5.1 card has 2 audio jacks + 1 subwoofer jack

*Digital (optical): Max 2 channel of PCM, 4 channel if compressed audio (ie Dolby Digital)
So, basically what you are saying is that I have three high definition audio processors, none of which I can take full advantage of because I use 2 cheap analog speakers?

Seems like every bottle has a neck in it (that is, until you cut it in half with a machete like in Big Trouble in Little China).

Sorry that analogy makes no sense but I'm tired so I'm sticking with it.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
Pretty much

I ditched my stereo speakers after hooking up another pair and running a quad-channel. After about a month of that, I was like "fuck it, getting a A/V System". Best ~$700 I've spent in awhile.