Author Topic: Off-Topic Mod Discussion (From: Kickstarter)  (Read 7947 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Off-Topic Mod Discussion (From: Kickstarter)
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
I used to go by the name HeLLMasteRHeLL
Heh, throbblefoot, cuchulann, and I still refer to you by that handle when we're talking shit about you in a bar.

@420, I honestly played a LOT of NWN mods in my time, and every now and then I still do. However, I must admit that I played some long ones, and some that were one series made of many mods and many parts, but despite all of that I can honestly say that I never found a mod or series to compare to the sheer size and hours I put into Tortured Hearts 1 & 2. If, by some chance, you do know one, I seriously want a recommendation (if it's fun). I love NWN, and as busy as I am playing other games, just give me an excuse... lol.
Alright, I wasn't going to do this, but you called me out:

Shadowlords Series
and
Dreamcatcher Series
(both Adam Miller)

Penultima - Stefan Gagne

Witch's Wake - BioWare

I can list plenty more including my server.

Good day to you sir,

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:10:13 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Kickstarter RPG based on NWN mods
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:18:33 AM »

Shadowlords Series
and
Dreamcatcher Series
(both Adam Miller)

I am going to disagree on Adam Miller's games. I only played part of Shadowlords and part of one he made for NWN2 and I lost interest in them. I think his greatest failing was his areas. Lots of large cavernous rooms and wide outdoors  with absolutely nothing in them. Sometimes you would hit a trigger which would bring a float text to describe what you were supposed to see. Would it hurt to just drop in some blueprint placeables? Honestly he probably makes a good DM but I feel that is would have been better if he took his dialogue trees and rearranged them into Choose Your Own Adventure books.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
I am going to disagree on Adam Miller's games. I only played part of Shadowlords and part of one he made for NWN2 and I lost interest in them. I think his greatest failing was his areas. Lots of large cavernous rooms and wide outdoors  with absolutely nothing in them. Sometimes you would hit a trigger which would bring a float text to describe what you were supposed to see. Would it hurt to just drop in some blueprint placeables? Honestly he probably makes a good DM but I feel that is would have been better if he took his dialogue trees and rearranged them into Choose Your Own Adventure books.
Fair enough, but I would never pay money for those mods I linked. Those were made by people who were given the ability to tell a story to a community and didn't expect money for it.

Oh and:
Bone Kenning I: Art of the Thanaturge by Wes Lewis

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 04:14:26 AM »
Heh, throbblefoot, cuchulann, and I still refer to you by that handle when we're talking shit about you in a bar.

Shadowlords Series
and
Dreamcatcher Series
(both Adam Miller)

Penultima - Stefan Gagne

Witch's Wake - BioWare

I can list plenty more including my server.

Good day to you sir,
I've played all of those. The entire shadowlords, dreamcatcher, demon series is great. Also, Witch's Wake was short as hell. If I recall, I don't think they even finished the series. Penultima didn't take that long, actually I think I spent more time playing Stefan's eternum series than I did penultima.

As for your server, that's a server. Downloadable single-player mods is the criteria I'm looking for. Though I have always admired your diligence, I can't help but feel there is a distinct difference. Although I always did wonder why you never came out with any mods of your own, I'd always hoped you would at some point. (like I said, besides the server.)

Like I said, if you can think of any mods I can download that are good, especially if they have a lot of play time, let me know. I am still more than willing to play NWN mods if there's any recommendations. I know for sure of a few I would love to re-play, but it's been a long time since I've played one that's new to me.

I have played the Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, and Demon series all the way through, more than once, and while I agree on many of the points you make regarding these mods I must point out in his defense (Adam's) that these mods were very early released in the NWN community and were some of the earliest popular mods created that managed to stay popular in the NWN community to this day. Many of the features we have now were non-existent and many of the bugs and struggles they had then are no longer an issue. I guess I'm just saying he did a pretty good job at the time. No expansions, no CEP, many patches ago. I know many things were updated over time, but still, the whole of it remains the same.

Fair enough, but I would never pay money for those mods I linked. Those were made by people who were given the ability to tell a story to a community and didn't expect money for it.
Actually "Witch's Wake" was originally a premium module that costed money. It did become free later.

Don't I recall you purchasing Pirates of the Sword Coast? I can't remember, but I think I did play some of it myself, all I know is that if I did I no longer have it at any rate.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:10:54 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
Actually "Witch's Wake" was originally a premium module that costed money. It did become free later.
I think it originally came out as a free mod then was released again in a deluxe version as a premium mod.

On topic:I made sure not to make any comparisons between your mods and the ones listed in the "still looking for more good mods" part of my reply. ;) I'm hoping 420 or somebody knows a few gems that I don't know about.

Did you play: Darkness over Daggerford by Ossian Studios

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 12:46:32 AM »
Witch's Wake was free at first. Yes it was very short because it was really just part 1 but it had the misfortune of having the rug pulled out from under it in favor of Shadows of Undrentide. There was an homage to WW in SoU actually. WW was different from others in that it only awarded you XP for advancing the plot and trying different interactions and not for just going around killing things. I remember Bone Kenning, it had a neat spin on necromancy. I also enjoyed the Paladin series, Twilight, Midnight and Dawn for what I could play of them. Those and Bone Kenning both had their codes broken by the expansions to make them unplayable.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »
Did you play: Darkness over Daggerford by Ossian Studios
Yes, that one was fun. Also played all the ones Cuch mentioned.

I should replay a lot of these though, it's been long enough now that I should have forgotten alot of stuff and can enjoy replaying them.