Author Topic: Kickstarter RPG based on NWN mods  (Read 24683 times)

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
Kickstarter RPG based on NWN mods
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:07:43 AM »
Hi

I'm Zoltan Gonda, the author of the NWN1 module series, Tortured Hearts (I & II).

TH2 won a gold medal in 2007:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=5347

Me and my partner Lenore Hoehl have been working hard on a stand-alone RPG which is loosely
based on these mods and now we need some material help to get the graphic and sound
content done. This is why we chose Kickstarter.

The title is: Tortured Hearts: Or, How I Saved the Universe. Again.

Storywise, the game is DONE.

Here are the features:
-TH satirizes RPG cliches (unlike the prequels)
-Light-hearted story of a jaded, thrill-seeking adventurer
-No need to play the prequels beforehand, but ofc there are refs for those who have played them
-6 playable races: human, elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, half-orc
-Classic 6 person party (you can open their inventories for instance)
-Non-linear gameplay, open-ended world with 3 choke points
-Over 200 areas
-Over 500 NPCs
-Over 100 quests
-About 100-150 hours of gameplay (just like the "prequels")
-A long and complicated plot
-A crafting system if you like to spend your play time working
-Almost 500,000 words of dialog (including henchman conversations) already written, plus a journal to keep track of quests.
-A variety of henchmen who contribute in an interactive way with the PC
-A henchman relationship system which can lead to romance
-A character development system wiith no classes
-All the quests and conversations are scripted and tested, so that the game is playable now in the development environment
-Combat system is designed but not implemented: so far it has been planned as a real-time system but it could be changed to turn-based

There's a discussion forum and place to vote on the combat system at:
http://www.torturedhearts.com
(Sorry for the spartan page)

The money we ask for may sound a bit steep at first, but please consider the features and the scope of the game. The budget is very, very tight.

And finally, here's the link:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1424869054/tortured-hearts-or-how-i-saved-the-universe-again

Thank you for your attention, time and help

Zoltan
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:15:09 AM by SubBassman »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kickstarter RPG based on NWN mods
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
Kickstarters are a dead end and people made much larger NWN mods for free.

Lock this bot's post please!

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »
people made much larger NWN mods for free.

You mean MUCH larger? :) Like which one?
Not that size matters.

"Lock this bot's post please!"

Bots don't know how to answer your concerns. :)

Can I help you in any way?

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »
This isn't really a forum for game promotion. Thank you for your posts, but we are not interested in investing in a game.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »
I wouldn't say Kickstarters are a dead-end.  I think someone is trying to finance a remake of Baldur's Gate on Kickstarter.  I think another person is trying to finance buying Kickstarter on Kickstarter lol

Anyway you're really not supposed to solicit anything on the board, but it is NWN related so I'm in-different to the topic being here personally.

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »
Dear 420

We already have something in common. We both love RPGs and NWN. That's why you are here on this forum, right?

I've spent ten years of my life on developing mods for NWN1.

These games are meant for you, players. And you, personally, are one of them even if you hate me for some reason.
It is possible that you wouldn't like my stories, and I can accept that, of course, but I don't want anything else than entertaining RPG-lovers. Seems my life revolves around this.

Since NWN1 is no longer a widely-played game, it was plausible to make a game out of the mod that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Problem is, even if the conversations and the scripts are done, TH needs graphics and whatnot.  Unfortunately, I can't do everything alone, and also, I'm not the owner of a Big Game Studio. Rest assured I don't want to buy a Mustang and
spend my time on the beach. I'm just a passionate game maker and games need skilled persons (artists, programmers, musicians) who have to be paid.

So, with all due respect, please reconsider gouging out my eyes. :)

Thanks for your time
Z

PS: Are you a thrill-seeking adventurer? If so, I'm pretty sure you would enjoy this game...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
SubBassman!? lol wow, I didn't expect to see you still kicking about! I loved the shit out of TH1 and TH2 by the way, I put countless hours into playing both of those mods.

I used to go by the name HeLLMasteRHeLL, you might remember getting feedback from me on the vault on more than a few different occasions, I believe we exchanged a few e-mails too if I recall, but my memory fails me as to what it regarded specifically. Since bugs found me just as much as I found them in any mod or even in any game to this day, it was most likely that.

I understand the frustration in the desire to create a game with no means to do so, of course, many gamers have probably been there, but with what I have seen from you in the past and what I see you've done so far in this it is undeniable that you would accomplish just that had you money and the team to accomplish it.

As for the solicitation, I am basically on the same page with Mo. I will however admit the frustration I've had because of gaming companies and their bullshit for some time now, and my desire for a game such as yours, mine, 420's, and many others we gamers dream up to come into existence. That would turn the tide back from games being made for money to games being made for fun. I am quite pessimistic about your 30+ day goal, however, and as much as I wish you success, I just can't lead myself to believe you will succeed, especially with the world in the state that it is in.

I voted real-time combat, but it looks like the scales are pretty tipped in one direction. I would honestly recommend holding the decision for awhile until more people have had the chance to vote, at the very least, until the end of the goal, if it were to succeed.

@420, I honestly played a LOT of NWN mods in my time, and every now and then I still do. However, I must admit that I played some long ones, and some that were one series made of many mods and many parts, but despite all of that I can honestly say that I never found a mod or series to compare to the sheer size and hours I put into Tortured Hearts 1 & 2. If, by some chance, you do know one, I seriously want a recommendation (if it's fun). I love NWN, and as busy as I am playing other games, just give me an excuse... lol.

@SubBassman I, for one, would be more than willing to assist where I can, but I honestly don't know what you could use and where I could help if at all. When it comes to money, there's not much I can do for you, as much as I wish I were rich enough to do so. I have a house to build in the not too distant future, renovations in the very near future, I am out a vehicle, I need a bed, my wife is disabled, and I have a child on the way, plus the economy blows, so my pockets are a wee bit limited to say the least. I will pledge what I can, but for the most part I would be happy to help otherwise and will definitely spread the word.
If this fails, is there no hope of people like us, normal every day gamers with varying skills and degrees of skill bringing the game to fruition? I've made my own instrumental music, which has been compared to game music and would be happy to contribute, otherwise I can do minor images in editing software, generally to text. (see signature below) My style of gameplay, however, is extremely thorough and I am very meticulous; I tend to get places and do things you're not supposed to do, so finding bugs is a strong point, you might remember that from before. lol. But that's just me specifically, one among millions, I've met countless gamers over the years with a lot of skill and/or talent in various aspects, I have to believe there are those that would contribute. Maybe that's being hopeful?

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »
Soul Sojourner

Thank you for your support, mate. :)

If it doesn't get funded, no problem. We'll try again.

You know, the American Way. :)

We are going to add more details and maybe some graphics too.

Stay tuned and all hail the classic RPGs! :)

Zoli

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:14:56 AM »

I'm not sure you are following the facts here.

-I made 2 mods for NWN1, each took me more than 4000 hours of work. For free. (just like the mods you linked)

-The game in the title is BASED on these mods, in other words, it's the 3rd one.

-Since NWN1 is an obsolete game now, but the kickstarter game is already written, I'm trying to
present it to the public. Unfortunately, the models, areas, musics and whatnot won't create themselves.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »

I'm not sure you are following the facts here.

-I made 2 mods for NWN1, each took me more than 4000 hours of work. For free. (just like the mods you linked)

-The game in the title is BASED on these mods, in other words, it's the 3rd one.

-Since NWN1 is an obsolete game now, but the kickstarter game is already written, I'm trying to
present it to the public. Unfortunately, the models, areas, musics and whatnot won't create themselves.

I think 420 understands quite well.  Any case, thank you for reaching out to our community.  Like I said before, I do not mind this topic and will even check out your Kickstarter project.  I would like to avoid this devolving into an argument of any kind, so would everyone please be mindful of this in further posts to this topic.

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
I think 420 understands quite well.  Any case, thank you for reaching out to our community.  Like I said before, I do not mind this topic and will even check out your Kickstarter project.  I would like to avoid this devolving into an argument of any kind, so would everyone please be mindful of this in further posts to this topic.

Thanks Mo

I really really want to avoid comparing mods in this thread and I'd like to ask everyone to follow this code of conduct. Thanks.

There was an update anyway and there's gonna be another one soon with convo samples.

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
The video makes me think of a browser based game. The only person who seems interested so far is HMH.

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »
The video makes me think of a browser based game. The only person who seems interested so far is HMH.

What browser are you using? I mean... what kind of UFO gave it to you?

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 04:18:08 AM »
Just do a Google search for browser based MMO's. There a ton. I just think that you are barking up the wrong tree here. No one is going to donate money from here. Though, I wish you good luck. 300,000 dollars is a lot of money to expect people to donate.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:20:01 AM by Mercy »

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »
Just do a Google search for browser based MMO's. There a ton. I just think that you are barking up the wrong tree here. No one is going to donate money from here. Though, I wish you good luck. 300,000 dollars is a lot of money to expect people to donate.

Browser based MMO's have isometric rendered graphics.

TH is full 3D which makes a big difference.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »
Yes, and it is because I played his NWN mods and they were bomb as hell, if you understand the implied awesomeness behind that phrase. Has anyone else here even played them? He does good work and I would love to see another mod from him, but I understand not wanting to make a game for a dead community. So if he thinks a stand alone game is the answer, then hell yeah I'll roll with that.

Seriously, this is not a forum on which it's proper etiquette to solicit money.

Not sure how to make any clearer to a spam bot.

How often do we even have enough active posts on here to even consider something controversial, or even as "rule-breaking?" Which, by the way, last I checked we basically have none. As I offered a rewrite and posting in the past and Mo more or less told me to forget about the rules.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
How often do we even have enough active posts on here to even consider something controversial, or even as "rule-breaking?" Which, by the way, last I checked we basically have none. As I offered a rewrite and posting in the past and Mo more or less told me to forget about the rules.

I think it is more about the fact that we do not want to be repeatedly asked to donate money to something we are not interested in. Maybe you are interested, but obviously most of us are not. His/her NWN mods may have been awesome. But that is not what he/she is promoting.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
I think it is more about the fact that we do not want to be repeatedly asked to donate money to something we are not interested in. Maybe you are interested, but obviously most of us are not. His/her NWN mods may have been awesome. But that is not what he/she is promoting.
Apart from the initial post (where he does ask for a donation), the rest of the topic is discussion of the project and some off-topic discussion of NWN mods. He asked for money one time, in one topic. Furthermore, if anyone is annoyed by this topic then why post in it or read it unless you've got something to contribute to the discussion?

No, he is not promoting a NWN mod, he is promoting a new game based off of his previous NWN mods and I support it because I've played them and I believe his work on them give him credibility. They were very well done, major attention to detail, and he worked hard at ironing out bugs. Now he wants to make a new game, and I think he will strive for the same perfection.

But this is continuing to devolve as Mo said. No more off-topic posts and if your post does not contribute to the topic it's getting split or deleted.

SubBassman, please continue to keep us updated, I check this site every day, multiple times a day, but am not likely to check the kickstarter page unless you post an update.

EDIT: I cleaned up some of this topic.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:16:17 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »
Edit:

I'm not even going to bother. Keep posting, do whatever. Good luck in your efforts Sub, I myself am not interested and will not donate. I hope you succeed in your endeavors though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:50:26 PM by Mercy »

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 03:24:16 AM »

Mercy

Fair enough...

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 03:24:44 AM »
Anyway....

There's a new video and more info about the setting of the story... (and other stuff)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »
Sweet, I'll check that out.

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
Excellent. Very informative.

Offline SubBassman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »
For those who are concerned...
This is the latest comment on the Kickstarter page:

"I love the art style in the video, and I hope you will make the game one way or another! I'll spread the word on Facebook. :)"
John Alvarado, Technical Director at InXile (The makers of Wasteland 2)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »
This project has come a considerably long way, even though the kickstarter didn't make it.

Check it out on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126752003&searchtext

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
I want lawyers guns and money in my rpg with decapitations and prostitutes!
This thread made me laugh so hard!  You guys are awesome!