Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights forums hacked?  (Read 10945 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Neverwinter Nights forums hacked?
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Neverwinter Nights forums hacked?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:06 PM »
Fucked up.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't going to mention it because I didn't want to bring their attention here.

They have hacked Sony, Bethesda, the CIA, and a bunch of others in the past month. Even opened a "hotline" that you can call to request attacks.

Interestingly, the hit on the CIA came at the same time as the hit on the NWN forums.

However, only 18,000 NWN accounts were compromised. Considering the total number of accounts (BioWare announced 1 million accounts a few years back), that is a relatively small number. BioWare sent out emails to the people who's account information was stolen and advised them to change their password.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »
Well, the people who hacked Sony, Nintendo, etc didn't claim the Bioware one. But that doesn't mean much. Shit is getting retarded.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »
I don't think that LolzSec is responsible for the NWN forums, seems to low profile for them.  The point is that corporate and online security has reached a point so ridiculously low that everyone from their LOL cat can toss a SQL Injection at an unpatched server and steal info.

I bet the NWN forums is running on Apache and MySQL servers that haven't seen a security patch in 3 years.  In fact, there are bots just like Google Bots that run wild around the web looking for unpatched websites to compromise....

hmmm...is LM one of those sites? hehe it's being hosted on GoDaddy now but I'm planning on moving it to Canada some time soon cause I hate GoDaddy just haven't had the time

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:52:32 PM »
I don't think that LolzSec is responsible for the NWN forums, seems to low profile for them.  The point is that corporate and online security has reached a point so ridiculously low that everyone from their LOL cat can toss a SQL Injection at an unpatched server and steal info.

I bet the NWN forums is running on Apache and MySQL servers that haven't seen a security patch in 3 years.  In fact, there are bots just like Google Bots that run wild around the web looking for unpatched websites to compromise....

hmmm...is LM one of those sites? hehe it's being hosted on GoDaddy now but I'm planning on moving it to Canada some time soon cause I hate GoDaddy just haven't had the time

I use JustHost right now for my Star Wars: The Old Republic guild. But got, I'm getting bot spammed like crazy on the forums. It sucks so bad lol. I had to make it so I have to validate every person. Which sucks because I get like 10 emails per day about it. :/

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »
I use JustHost right now for my Star Wars: The Old Republic guild. But got, I'm getting bot spammed like crazy on the forums. It sucks so bad lol. I had to make it so I have to validate every person. Which sucks because I get like 10 emails per day about it. :/

lol I know how you feel.  When I moved to GoDaddy I got the swarm myself.  It was so bad that I closed the board to registration.  Hopefully in the next version of Simple Machines they will do a better job at stopping bot registrations.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:30:19 PM »
The phpBB forums have a mod that you can add, but I just haven't gotten around to actually adding it and testing lol.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
I use Invision Power Board. Love it, but the shit's expensive.