Author Topic: Quran Burning  (Read 11179 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quran Burning
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
This guy burns a Quran and people go nuts...

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/terry-jones-receives-death-threats-24780307

What do you guys think about this?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quran Burning
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »
Burn a book and half a world away people kill one another.

Is there a better reason for religion to be outlawed?

I have a scam: If you don't believe my crazy random shit then your immortal soul is doomed! Yay, I win!

P.S. We probably should avoid religious discussions here. But what I said... yeah.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:45 AM »
Burn a book and half a world away people kill one another.

Is there a better reason for religion to be outlawed?
Indeed.

That old guy is crazy; makes me laugh.

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:25:15 AM »
Bring him up on 1st degree murder charges. He's responsible for anyone who gets killed or injured during these riots.

He was TOLD his actions would put our forces in even greater danger.

He burns it.

Our guys come under even heavier fire. While mass rioting occurs.

....and he dares to say his actions didn't cause it.

Don't care what it is...you do not put other people in unnecessary danger just because you want attention.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:27:31 AM by Ivon »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Both parties are ignorant. As far as Americans go, If you're for the freedom of speech you're for the freedom of speech whether they're saying something you like or not.  If you think he should be thrown in jail then you're not really for the freedom of speech.    As far as people not of the western culture; I'm not entirely sure that some white people in the middle of the states really had all that much to do with inciting people to riot considering the fighting and protesting going on all across the predominantly Muslim/middle eastern/Arab countries.  They were already pissed off.  And like American extremists, these people do not represent the majority of the public.

Was this televised?

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
Wasn't Televised but was recorded on a home video (afaik) and it was "leaked".

Freedom of Speech doesn't even factor in here, it's a just being used as a cover.

My belief doesn't stop with Jones. Any group, any person, who willfully does something to stir up trouble should forfeit their life if anyone loses their life or is injured because of that action....this includes KKK rallies at Black Panther rallies, those fuckers that show up at Military Funerals and say the God is punishing them and they deserved to die.

Congrats, you found a pet-peeve of mine

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »
My belief doesn't stop with Jones. Any group, any person, who willfully does something to stir up trouble should forfeit their life if anyone loses their life or is injured because of that action....this includes KKK rallies at Black Panther rallies, those fuckers that show up at Military Funerals and say the God is punishing them and they deserved to die.
While two men argue, the third one rejoices.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:18:51 AM »
So if freedom of speech is being used as a cover what is really happening?  Freedom of religion?  Who should kill them if they deserve to die?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:08:35 AM »
This is quite simple.

1) Guy is allowed to burn whatever books he desires.  He's certainly protected by the law to do this.
2) Is guy an asshole for doing it? Yes
3) Is it illegal to be an asshole? No.
4) Are people crazy for killing others over this and all the other random stupid shit? Yes.
5) Am I arrogant for deciding for others what is "crazy" and "stupid". Yes

Moral of the story, there are lots of crazy and arrogant people in the world. 

Have we learned anything new?

No.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
Haven't learned anything today, but I did learn a long time ago that "common sense" isn't as common as I would like it to be.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »
Haven't learned anything today, but I did learn a long time ago that "common sense" isn't as common as I would like it to be.

Indeed.

I've heard people with no common sense whatsoever say the same thing. Go figure. :)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »
Indeed.

I've heard people with no common sense whatsoever say the same thing. Go figure. :)
I've often found that people who are ignorant, or just plain stupid, have a difficult time conceptualizing what it's like to be intelligent and well educated. My mother suffers from this problem, constantly assuming everyone else in the room are making the same dumb-ass conclusions that she comes up with.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 12:10:23 AM »
I've often found that people who are ignorant, or just plain stupid, have a difficult time conceptualizing what it's like to be intelligent and well educated. My mother suffers from this problem, constantly assuming everyone else in the room are making the same dumb-ass conclusions that she comes up with.

My mother has a similar dilemma, except that in her case it's when she's drunk and she thinks everyone is disagreeing with her and everyone but her is wrong., even if they are, in fact, agreeing with her.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
My mother has a similar dilemma, except that in her case it's when she's drunk and she thinks everyone is disagreeing with her and everyone but her is wrong., even if they are, in fact, agreeing with her.
Relating this back to the original topic, it seems the real problem here is that people think that others should believe what they believe for some odd reason. As if the strength of their conviction in what they believe somehow depends on the beliefs of others, including complete strangers on the other side of the world.

It's ironic that many people's personal "faith" depends on the approval and acceptance of everyone else, when faith, by definition (Oxford), means "complete trust or confidence". But that assumes that burning the Quran is somehow viewed as a threat to Islam.

The other possible reason for the murderous freak-out over the Quran burning is that it's actually a tenet of the Muslim religion. Burn the Quran: put to death. Draw a picture of Muhammad: put to death. Don't believe what I believe: put to death. I don't know enough about the religion itself to know if that is the case however.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:34:08 PM by 420 »